• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Ok. So, I have an update. not quite what I expected but it turns out the problem had nothing to do with the throttle or fueling... The culprit was the rear brake pedal!! When fully compressed - at a traffic light for example - it would release normally when I would disengage only to engage again quite aggressively. Causing the bike to slow down. Add the closing of the throttle in such a scenario and you get a complete loss of power . I'm very lucky this didn't occurs at high speed..

Ok. So, I have an update. not quite what I expected but it turns out the problem had nothing to do with the throttle or fueling... The culprit was the rear brake pedal!! When fully compressed - at a traffic light for example - it would release normally when I would disengage only to engage again quite aggressively. Causing the bike to slow down. Add the closing of the throttle in such a scenario and you get a complete loss of power . I'm very lucky this didn't occurs at high speed..

So...we now know what the issue was...do we know what caused the rear brake to engage by itself?

So...we now know what the issue was...do we know what caused the rear brake to engage by itself?
All they said was that the rod linking the pedal to the master cylinder was getting jammed so the loosened that and applied some grease.

All they said was that the rod linking the pedal to the master cylinder was getting jammed so the loosened that and applied some grease.

Hmmmm...going to have to check that on mine. It hasn't stalled, but it was very difficult to back out of the garage the other day...kind of like the brake was being applied...

Hmmmm...going to have to check that on mine. It hasn't stalled, but it was very difficult to back out of the garage the other day...kind of like the brake was being applied...
Out riding for about an hour, lots of freeway, got off the exit & had to wait a few minutes for the traffic light. The bike should have been plenty warm but not over heated. I had to stop right away and when I pulled in the clutch the revs hung up at about 3000. I blibed the throttle and the rpms dropped right down to normal. Never had this happen before. I am currently changing the oil & adjusting the valves for the 6000 mi service. I have the full fuelling mods. I Don't know what to think since this is the first & only time this has happened, but now I know what you are experiencing

Just a note, certainly not anything definitive, but I got to ride the past three days and the hanging throttle problem did not appear, and I noticed some good engine braking. Ambient temperature was only 55-60F and I didn't sit in any traffic so I'll have to wait for hotter summer temperatures for more insight.

I have an update on my hanging throttle problem and it is cured. To begin with my problem was not just the throttle hanging up and dropping very slowly when coming to a stop. Mine also would want to die if left idling at normal rpm's for more than about 15 seconds so I had to pick it back up with the throttle. Part of the problem was fixed by replacing the clutch switch. The rest of the issues were cured by Todd when I took the bike to his shop for service and tweaking the mapping. My valves were out of adjustment but the map changes that Todd did cured my hanging idle and hanging rpm's when closing the throttle and the bike wanting to die when idling at a stoplight. I highly recommend Todds remapping and tuning.

I have an update on my hanging throttle problem and it is cured. To begin with my problem was not just the throttle hanging up and dropping very slowly when coming to a stop. Mine also would want to die if left idling at normal rpm's for more than about 15 seconds so I had to pick it back up with the throttle. Part of the problem was fixed by replacing the clutch switch. The rest of the issues were cured by Todd when I took the bike to his shop for service and tweaking the mapping. My valves were out of adjustment but the map changes that Todd did cured my hanging idle and hanging rpm's when closing the throttle and the bike wanting to die when idling at a stoplight. I highly recommend Todds remapping and tuning.

What did Todd do exactly with the mapping and tuning? What about the clutch switch? Part number? Ease of replacement?

What did Todd do exactly with the mapping and tuning? What about the clutch switch? Part number? Ease of replacement?
My clutch switch was replaced under my extended warranty so I don't have an answer to that question. My California has Todds tuning for the ECU plus the PC5 and auto tune. I'm not sure what changes he made with map, maybe he could chime in if he sees this. I know it smelled rich at idle.

My clutch switch was replaced under my extended warranty so I don't have an answer to that question. My California has Todds tuning for the ECU plus the PC5 and auto tune. I'm not sure what changes he made with map, maybe he could chime in if he sees this. I know it smelled rich at idle.

Thanks Groundhog!

Groundhog...
Exactly what issue did the clutch switch cause...or what fixed itself once it was replaced? I have Todds fueling system but mine has started "loping" at idle...kind of like an old chevy V8 with too big of a cam...
Again this only happens with a well warmed engine...
Any thoughts?

I'm noticing the hanging throttle again now that the weather's warming up ... annoying when you're at a light and the bike's revving at 3,000 rpm or more in neutral.

Groundhog...
Exactly what issue did the clutch switch cause...or what fixed itself once it was replaced? I have Todds fueling system but mine has started "loping" at idle...kind of like an old chevy V8 with too big of a cam...
Again this only happens with a well warmed engine...
Any thoughts?
The clutch switch caused a high idle when stopping at 2000 to 3000 rpm. The loping at idle then wanting to die is what Todds tweaking of the map solved in addition to taking care of the rpm's dropping on closing the throttle.

Assume you're talking about the little switch behind the clutch lever?? My little white pin goes in and out easily when I squeeze and release the lever (after sitting in the garage and cool). Maybe it doesn't when the bike is hot but I fail to see any reason that would affect the idle.

I'm still going with a air/vacuum issue ... may see if the little bit of light around the throttle plate has sealed with carbon build-up at some point ... but then why only when hot and not always. :wondering:

The clutch switch on my Breva 1100 causes the rpm to increase by about 200-300rpm when pulled in. I believe its to overcome any load the clutch would put on the engine.

Hi guys, thought I'd pass on my experiences on this & might save you some time & expense. But sorry, as yet no cure. My 3 year old 1400 touring (6.5k miles) suffers badly with the hanging throttle issue. The bike doesn't need to be particularly hot before behaving abnormally, once warm & running in cool ambient temperatures (50*f) the revs will hang. The symptoms: Decelerating on a closed throttle & with 100% engine braking above 3000 rpm once the revs drop below 3k, power (ie fuel) will come back in & the revs will either decrease very slowly, or just hang @3k until the throttle is blipped or the engine killed. The bike also hesitates while accelerating from low revs frequently.
Before anyone suggests Todds fuelling mods, I already have them & while the overall engine response is much improved they haven't helped this issue. This is not a problem with the fuel table.
All specs checkout as normal in Guzzdiag against the references in the manual & the throttle reset/learning have been done numerous times.
So far I've tried the following to attempt a cure: Replaced the clutch switch. Made no difference. I know some have reported success with this but to be honest I had my doubts. The switch only has two positions (in or out) & it's function can be checked in software. I replaced it anyway, to no avail.
Replaced the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. The above symptoms can replicate those of a failing pressure sensor but sadly it made no difference.
Removed & cleaned the throttle body, checked for air leaks & again no improvement.
I still think this is a manifold pressure issue rather than one of fueling or throttle synchronisation & still hope to find a resolution.
I love this bike, but this glitch makes riding it at anything other than cruising speeds a frustrating experience.
Jon

The clutch switch caused a high idle when stopping at 2000 to 3000 rpm. The loping at idle then wanting to die is what Todds tweaking of the map solved in addition to taking care of the rpm's dropping on closing the throttle.
Thank You! that's shat I was hoping to hear.

Back