• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New seat question

Hawghauler

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Haven't sat on a new Guzzi, but from the pictures on their website it appears many of the new bike seats (not just Moto Guzzi) are getting really thin and appear devoid of padding. Having always installed cushy Mustang seats or had bikes with nice thick foam cushion, are these new style seats comfortable for posteriors like mine which are venerable in years and needful of comfort? Are the pictures just optical illusions and the seats actually comfortable over time and distance? Inquiring gluteus maximus' want to know.

If high density closed cell foam is used they can be good. The problem with showroom seats is soft foam may be used. After a few miles, you end up sitting on the pan. The last good factory sear I've ridden was for a 1993 CA III. Ever since then I've had to have the seats redone or replaced with a factory option seat.

I found the stock seat OK on my Special. The only reason I replaced it was because I liked the looks of this one:
2S000265.jpg

It may be more comfortable, but that may be me trying to convince myself that it is to justify the purchase. Moto Guzzi does have a few options. Like many other brands, they offer a gel option, but many have said they really don't help much.

Editorial comment follows:
I haven't quite figured out why people have so much trouble with seats. As a young rider, a sore butt usually meant it was Spring and you hadn't been riding much (my father agreed with me). This probably applies to standard motorcycles, but not to sport bikes that either slide your nads into the tank or keep you from moving on the seat at all.

I find the oem seat to be good for about 100 miles before my sit bones start to feel the pinch. John has it right, higher density foam is the answer. I plan to send mine off to get redone. I've done a few my self using high density marine neoprene foam. http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php has a good run down on the process.
Or you can buy the OEM accessory gel seat like I did. It's significantly more comfortable than the stock seat, and it lacks that annoying fake strap that I got tired of sitting on.

Or you can buy the OEM accessory gel seat like I did. It's significantly more comfortable than the stock seat, and it lacks that annoying fake strap that I got tired of sitting on.

When I got my V7 last march I tried the stock seat, gel accessory seat and the seat off the Racer.. I took the Racer seat and added a KOF seat cover. I can get a comfortable 3.5 - 4 hr ride on the racer seat ( I'm 170 lbs and a 29 " inseam and replaced the stock pegs with rearsets).

I had a Corbin seat on my Kawi ZR7S which I liked a lot and both seats (stock and gel touring)on my 09 Sprint ST were redone with better foam at a local custom auto/bike upholstery shop, both were huge improvements over the Triumph seats. I also used a KOF cover on those seats.

At some point I will have the stock seat redone but will have to wait as I recently had the ecu reflash done and denali driving lights added which totally shot my accessory budget for this riding season.

All, please keep me posted on the results. Although I'm looking for more comfort, I'm reluctant to spend the large $ on a custom seat, as I'm not sure it's better. It could be simply a different seat, without being a better seat.

Motoangler, like you I've done some mild DIY seat modifications. Hope to try it out this summer, and even alter it some more.

Open to ideas.

All, please keep me posted on the results. Although I'm looking for more comfort, I'm reluctant to spend the large $ on a custom seat, as I'm not sure it's better. It could be simply a different seat, without being a better seat.

Motoangler, like you I've done some mild DIY seat modifications. Hope to try it out this summer, and even alter it some more.

Open to ideas.

I purchased one of those Air Hawks and it works great. If you get one be aware, they need very little air. I can ride all day with no issues.

Airhawks work well-I carry one in a saddlebag on long trips just in case.
I also rebuild Guzzi seats. You can see a few pictures on the KoF facebook page.

There are lots of reasons to rebuild seats for some. One of the most frequent I see is to raise the height for the V7 owner-this is also a popular mod for the Norge.

I purchased one of those Air Hawks and it works great. If you get one be aware, they need very little air. I can ride all day with no issues.

The Airhawk has good reviews, and people say if you don't like it you really can return it. Looks like a "no commitment" way of trying out a different seat for long trips.

Elgrichard and KoF, what size did you use for the V7?

I don't use mine all the time and certainly not in the twisties. It's mostly for slab work to and from the fun spots if I need a change of pace.

I only use my air hawk on long rides but they are light and easy to remove and carry. After a few hours with it fitted and starting to ache just remove it and it's like starting from fresh, using new pressure points, then when the bum starts to ache again refit the air hawk and it's like starting from fresh again. Only very low pressure required or you tend to roll about. Steve.

Last weekend I put over 130 miles on Sophia and decided to switch to the stock V7 seat for both days just to see what riding the stocker was like.
Not too bad on Saturday as I didn't get out until after 2pm for approx 45 miles and some ice cream.

Sunday I put on the rest of the miles and by the time I got home my legs and feet were numb. Now I know that the seat has not been broken in but damn that was an uncomfortable ride.

I like the overall shape of the seat but that strap across the seat has to go. I like the flat area at the back as my duffel fits better across it vs the larger hump on the racer seat.

With some mods it can be turned into a great touring seat, definitely worth checking into.

Gerry

Gerry,
You've seen what I did to Jim's Norge seat. I've also rebuilt a fair share of V7 seats now. I can fix that awful stock seat if you want.
Of course, that assumes you have any $$$ left after Jim! I'm the same way. And, going to spend a bit more there prior to Bennington!

Am I the only one that loves the stock plank on my '14 Stone? True, it's very firm, but I don't any unwanted vibes, etc. and it doesn't make me sore in the least. I love the look of the hump back racer seat, but am afraid to change and lose the comfort of the stock one.

let me know when you
Gerry,
You've seen what I did to Jim's Norge seat. I've also rebuilt a fair share of V7 seats now. I can fix that awful stock seat if you want.
Of course, that assumes you have any $$$ left after Jim! I'm the same way. And, going to spend a bit more there prior to Bennington!

Let me know when you're going to be there & if you'll be riding the V7. I'd love to see your seat up close and personal.

I'm going up tomorrow with a load of peanut butter cookies and I'll be cooking for the MOTUS open house on 5/6 & 5/7.

Back