• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Norge

esmurrell

Just got it firing!
I need some help. I have a relatively new 2012 Norge. I love riding the bike but have a problem. The bike appears to cough and spit from idle up to about 3,000 rpm and there is a mild backfire when holding in the clutch between shifts. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to happen or not but I suspect not. Also, I only get about 33 MPG on this bike and that is well lower than what I expect. I did have a 2007 Breva 1100 which didn't have either of these concerns hence my questions. I love the bike and expect to have it for a long time to come and would like to have these issues sorted out. Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks

How new is the bike, from all reports, the factory settings on the Norge aren't all the flash. Valves, timing etc. Have you had it tuned by someone who know's what they are doing? Sorry if it sounds like I'm telling you to suck eggs. :lol:

Well, I had my Norge serviced by my dealer and they report the problem was a loose header pipe. That could allow air to get sucked into the engine and cause the problems I noted on my original post. They also reported the TPS and throttle bodies were just fine. The last thing they tell me is the mileage will gradually improve, most notably after I cross 10,000 miles. While I hope it doesn't take that long to get respectable mileage, I'm back to enjoying the bike as ever before. If things move forward in a positive direction, I will make a post. Thanks for your suggestions.

It does seem the four valve head bikes drink more fuel that the two valve. Similar to when FI was first put on Guzzis, the bikes with carbs got better mileage.

Mine is a 2011 with 15J on it now and it still pops between shifts and runs lean at lower throttle openings and gets sucky fuel mileage. So probably that's the way it is and will be.

Fred

fastfreddy said:
Mine is a 2011 with 15k on it now and it still pops between shifts and runs lean at lower throttle openings and gets sucky fuel mileage. So probably that's the way it is and will be.
Stock to stock, yes, but doesn't have to be. I've proven my kits work or your money back; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/235/2686

To reopen an old thread, I am awaiting the new reflash tool from Todd. My 2012 Norge ran through it's first tank of fuel with me at the controls a few days ago. I could tell it was running very lean, surging on constant throttle. The fuel mileage meter said 46.5mpg which is what I expected as my 2007 Norge got about 45-50. So when the fuel gauge plummeted from just touching the reserve line to empty in about 15 miles the total miles traveled were over 200. I figured even if I got 40mpg it would go 240 miles so I continued to the station near my house to refill. Guzzi list the capacity at 23 litres or 6 gallons. Doing the conversion 23 litres is actually 6.076 gallons. That is a good thing as I put 6.019 gallons in the bike without trying to top it off over where Guzzi says to fill it to at 213 miles for 35.39mpg. That sucks and is worse than my 1400 Tour got and one of my complaints on it was the thirst for fuel. The mpg meter on the old Norge was almost spot on. I find it hard to believe this one is that far off.

I think you will like what Todd does with them. But the new 8 valve motors have some issues with the design of the heads and / or cam timing as they do get crappy mileage. I am not saying it is a bad motor design, but from an efficiency point of view the motor is a bit lacking. It does make more power, but it does so by burning a lot more fuel. And as the basic bike can be directly compared between, say, the 2 valve version and the 8 valve version it is easy to see that the 8 valve version burns more fuel to do the same amount of work.

I think you will like what Todd does with them. But the new 8 valve motors have some issues with the design of the heads and / or cam timing as they do get crappy mileage. I am not saying it is a bad motor design, but from an efficiency point of view the motor is a bit lacking. It does make more power, but it does so by burning a lot more fuel. And as the basic bike can be directly compared between, say, the 2 valve version and the 8 valve version it is easy to see that the 8 valve version burns more fuel to do the same amount of work.

IMHO, that is quite true, although the labels "2 valve" and "8 valve" always make me grin a bit. Not criticizing you, as Piaggio does that, but it is funny. Yes, I am easily amused. :happy:

I just ran 1000 miles in Pennsylvania's many and grand back roads on my 2007 "2-valve" Norge, in the company of a friend on his 2012 "8-valve." Mine has 67K miles; the 8v has 45K. Both have been serviced to spec (and more).

Moreover, he and I have similar riding styles and rode the sweet beasts "as intended," i.e., it was a good thing that Pennsylvania cops seem to be mostly on the turnpike!

If we commuted regularly on these, mine would be the better choice, as his used at least 25% more fuel than mine.

But we don't commute, and ride for the joy of it. Accordingly, while I am happy enough with the performance of my own Norge, the extra power of the 8v makes it, again, IMHO, the better choice ... for that and some other reasons.

Happily, I have a 2010 "8v" Griso (in the faster color, red ;) ), so when I need a grunt fix, I roll it out of the Moto Grappa and wick it up. :D

If it were about fuel economy -- not a bad thing, of course -- I'd drive our Honda Fit. :giggle:

Bill

To reopen an old thread, I am awaiting the new reflash tool from Todd. My 2012 Norge ran through it's first tank of fuel with me at the controls a few days ago. I could tell it was running very lean, surging on constant throttle. The fuel mileage meter said 46.5mpg which is what I expected as my 2007 Norge got about 45-50. So when the fuel gauge plummeted from just touching the reserve line to empty in about 15 miles the total miles traveled were over 200. I figured even if I got 40mpg it would go 240 miles so I continued to the station near my house to refill. Guzzi list the capacity at 23 litres or 6 gallons. Doing the conversion 23 litres is actually 6.076 gallons. That is a good thing as I put 6.019 gallons in the bike without trying to top it off over where Guzzi says to fill it to at 213 miles for 35.39mpg. That sucks and is worse than my 1400 Tour got and one of my complaints on it was the thirst for fuel. The mpg meter on the old Norge was almost spot on. I find it hard to believe this one is that far off.

It has been my experience that 220 miles to a tank is about it. I get 32 to 34 in town and up to 39-40 mpg on the road. I have learned not to trust the gas gauge but fill up based on miles driven. I would see if you have the latest mapping to try to improve on the running. If you haven't had the bike rollerized yet you may want to have the engine inspected. I had mine checked at 11,300 miles and it already had a lot of the coating missing from the tappets. Had it rollerized and the bike is quieter and runs great.

IMHO, that is quite true, although the labels "2 valve" and "8 valve" always make me grin a bit. Not criticizing you, as Piaggio does that, but it is funny. Yes, I am easily amused. :happy:

I just ran 1000 miles in Pennsylvania's many and grand back roads on my 2007 "2-valve" Norge, in the company of a friend on his 2012 "8-valve." Mine has 67K miles; the 8v has 45K. Both have been serviced to spec (and more).

Moreover, he and I have similar riding styles and rode the sweet beasts "as intended," i.e., it was a good thing that Pennsylvania cops seem to be mostly on the turnpike!

If we commuted regularly on these, mine would be the better choice, as his used at least 25% more fuel than mine.

But we don't commute, and ride for the joy of it. Accordingly, while I am happy enough with the performance of my own Norge, the extra power of the 8v makes it, again, IMHO, the better choice ... for that and some other reasons.

Happily, I have a 2010 "8v" Griso (in the faster color, red ;) ), so when I need a grunt fix, I roll it out of the Moto Grappa and wick it up. :D

If it were about fuel economy -- not a bad thing, of course -- I'd drive our Honda Fit. :giggle:

Bill
To add to the confusion of Guzzi engine designations, I have two different 4 valve per cylinder Guzzi's as well. I have a Lario with a small block 4 valve motor and I have a Daytona with a big block 4 valve motor.
I think the 8 valve designation was to differentiate it from the previous Daytona 4 valve motor.

To add to the confusion of Guzzi engine designations, I have two different 4 valve per cylinder Guzzi's as well. I have a Lario with a small block 4 valve motor and I have a Daytona with a big block 4 valve motor.
I think the 8 valve designation was to differentiate it from the previous Daytona 4 valve motor.

Hadn't thought about that; good point.

Bill

Back