• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Eldorado warning light

dawdish

Just got it firing!
I have a new Eldorado, and shortly after a fill up with NON ethynol premium, the red warning light and service warning came on. It went out once but soon came back on and has stayed. It seems the idle is rougher than "normal" and it runs rough clear to 2500 RPM. I was thinking it may have to do with filling it as full as I could. I have an appointment at Powersports in Prescott during the AZNAR. Hope its just a fuel problem.

Overfilling is not good.
There is a fuel vapor canister that is part of the emissions system & too much fuel can "flood" the canister.
The canister is linked to the intake via vacuum and so the raw fuel gets sucked into the engine and causes a super rich condition.

Overfilling is not good.
There is a fuel vapor canister that is part of the emissions system & too much fuel can "flood" the canister.
The canister is linked to the intake via vacuum and so the raw fuel gets sucked into the engine and causes a super rich condition.
What I'm thinking here is maybe it's a good thing to just leave it on the side stand while filling to possibly avoid this overflow condition. I have thought filling the bike upright I could maybe get a little more in the tank and thereby get a few miles down the road before having to refill the tank. Second thought is just stick with leaving it on the side stand.

What I'm thinking here is maybe it's a good thing to just leave it on the side stand while filling to possibly avoid this overflow condition. I have thought filling the bike upright I could maybe get a little more in the tank and thereby get a few miles down the road before having to refill the tank. Second thought is just stick with leaving it on the side stand.

One of my big complaints about almost all new bikes (all brands) is the small fuel tanks. Seems like all newer bikes have about 140 to 160 mile range. I want to be able to go an easy 200 to 250 miles & then have enuf in reserve to go another 100!!!! I miss my old loop frame Guzzi's that went so far on reserve I would forget to fill it up & run out of fuel.

That would be my biggest complaint with my Cali. Running 75 to 80 down the interstate my light comes on at 125 miles. Only slightly better running 65. 250 in no problem with my F800.

That would be my biggest complaint with my Cali. Running 75 to 80 down the interstate my light comes on at 125 miles. Only slightly better running 65. 250 in no problem with my F800.

One question for you, are down to the last bar when you get the light or the second to last? On my bike shortly after the purchase I was riding along fat dumb and happy thinking that I had one more bar to go when I suddenly got the low fuel light and a message stating I had 3.5 miles to empty! Mind you I'm in the middle of nowhere. I started to get nervous and immediately slowed down from my 75-80 to 50 mph or so. Upon dropping the speed I noticed the onboard computer started increasing my distance to empty which was a great relief to me. If I remember correctly it got up to 12 miles to empty before I finally got fuel 4-5 miles down the road. I'm still a little skittish once I get to that second to last bar so I don't waste much time seeking out a gas station.

There is a reason I ride an 1100 Breva, 6 gallon fuel tank, and 46 to 49 mpg. Why is it that whenever Moto Guzzi makes a great bike, they turn around and stop making it?

My warning light has come on with as much as 1.75 gal left in the tank. My Eldo is getting right at 41 mpg at 70+MPH. Should mean 200+ mile range. The newer bikes count up on the miles to empty, in other words they tell you how far you've gone since the light came on. My sons FZ09 does this too. Which would probably be ok IF the light came on at the same time every time.

I would go to the "Stop the moaning whale" thread and disconnect that canister. Do the rest of the recommended items and never worry about a slight overfill. My 1400 Tour would go farther than it's guess on empty but I forget how far. (Edit: I forgot but when it hits reserve the odometer counts up how far you have ridden on reserve.) Distance to empty still sucked though. Needs a larger tank or better mileage. I agree with John. I loved the 45-48mpg I got on my 2007 Norge with a 6 gallon tank. I remember one instance in NS when my brother on his FJR 1300 with a 6.6 gallon tank said over the intercom "If you see me fall back and pull over just keep going and bring back gas."

Last edited:
>>I suddenly got the low fuel light and a message stating I had 3.5 miles to empty! <<

"3.5 miles" was not 'to empty,' but how many miles since the warning light had come on,
indicating you were using the reserve fuel. The mile reading increased, not because you
slowed down, but because you had travelled further on reserve.

The reserve is 5 litres, so on my 1400, that is 75km (about 45 miles).
I ran mine dry (had a litre of spare petrol with me) so I know its limit.
Of course, if you back off to 50mph, you will go further on your reserve.

Stephen

That was my point of slowing down to 50 mph. Obviously if you slow down you will go farther on the remaining fuel. I've ridden my roadking after the reserve light came on but didn't notice the exact time it came on so I didn't know exactly when I was going to be on the side of the road. When I'm in area I'm not familiar with with no gas stations in sight and I'm getting low on fuel I get a little nervous. Pushing a 700 plus# motorcycle is not my idea of fun. I don't completely trust that indication. I remember the good old days of the mechanical petcock when you knew what you had left in the tank after that first gasp.

My bike also counts up when the low level light comes on sometimes with 1 bar and sometimes with 2. usually if I shut the bike off when down to 2 bars it will start up with the light on. I have gone as far as 57 miles with the light on but that was before Todd's fueling mods. No way I could do that now.

And if you disconnect the canister go ahead and yank it out. No reason to carry aound dead weight. Remove the batt, a few screws under the batt , snip some hoses and it's out. You will know what hoses to snip when you get to them.

I suddenly got the low fuel light and a message stating I had 3.5 miles to empty! Mind you I'm in the middle of nowhere. I started to get nervous and immediately slowed down from my 75-80 to 50 mph or so. Upon dropping the speed I noticed the onboard computer started increasing my distance to empty which was a great relief to me. If I remember correctly it got up to 12 miles to empty before I finally got fuel 4-5 miles down the road.

You might be misinterpreting the "3.5 miles to empty". The odometer starts counting UP from zero and then tracks how many miles you have ridden since the low fuel light came on.

Per your owner's manual:

Upload 2016 5 6 12 34 43

You might be misinterpreting the "3.5 miles to empty". The odometer starts counting UP from zero and then tracks how many miles you have ridden since the low fuel light came on.

Per your owner's manual:

View attachment 10265

Well that's another way of looking at things (i.e. glass half full or half empty). Personally I would be more interested in knowing the mileage I have left before empty(at a glance) at my current speed versus how far I've driven since the low fuel light came on, but that's the way it's designed so I'll keep that in mind if I happen to get that low on fuel again.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Dave

UPDATE...May 6th....Went to Powersports and had her cked out...Clutch switch is bad, Had nothing to do with fueling. And there are no newer flashes for the computer.

Well that's another way of looking at things (i.e. glass half full or half empty). Personally I would be more interested in knowing the mileage I have left before empty(at a glance) at my current speed versus how far I've driven since the low fuel light came on, but that's the way it's designed so I'll keep that in mind if I happen to get that low on fuel again.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Dave
I guess you have to be Italian to understand why it is the opposite to every other vehicle on the market. If it's any help I've got over 70kms before refilling and still possibly had a litre to spare. Keep calm

I guess you have to be Italian to understand why it is the opposite to every other vehicle on the market. If it's any help I've got over 70kms before refilling and still possibly had a litre to spare.View attachment 10303

I have three examples that are the same: Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Yamaha Tour Deluxe, Yamaha Raider. While I do agree it would be very helpful to get an accurate number on the remaining range before being totally empty It is not practical on fuel injection systems that use an in tank fuel pump. The fuel pump needs fuel to lubricate it and prevent overheating and subsequent failure. Rather than attempting to provide an estimated range and get it wrong, we are given the number of miles (kilometers) we have traveled since the low fuel indicator makes. Then we, as thinking human beings, can estimate based on our experiences, just how far we can rationally travel before being stuck on the side of the road.

FYI, if you have not yet ridden your bike to stopping due to no fuel you do not know how far it will go on a tank of fuel. Of course, before doing this you would have planned ahead and strapped a full gallon gas can to your passenger seat. ;)

Anyone actually ran out of fuel and the bike would go no further? I'd be curious to know whether the motor has access to all 20.5 litres of fuel that that the bike supposedly carries (when have these specs ever been accurate?).

Anyone actually ran out of fuel and the bike would go no further? I'd be curious to know whether the motor has access to all 20.5 litres of fuel that that the bike supposedly carries (when have these specs ever been accurate?).

As I said, I have put 6.019 gallons (U.S.) in mine at a fuel stop which is 22.78 liters, Guzzi claims my Norge holds 23 liters. I'd give that a very close but no, it had not stopped yet and no I did not overfill it. I stopped right at the bottom of the rubber in the filler neck and never looked at the amount till I was putting the hose away. I thought it might take almost 5 gallons when I started filling it because it only had 213 miles. If I had been farther away from home I would have kept riding because the bike read 46 mpg. With a 6 gallon tank I figured the unpredictable fuel gauge was just trying to scare me. Fortunately I was going home and stopped to fill it before I parked.

Back