• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Breather Alternative

I'm not sure if I posted a problem here of not, but here is my current problem

I have oil on the seam between the crankcase and the bell housing. I thought it was coming from inside, so I took it to the dealer.

The dealer says the oil is leaking from the bottom of the airbox and dripping on the engine. Since I did not check for oil on the bottom of the airbox, I cannot say if that is true or not. I have had the air filter out several times to check for oil, but have not ever found anything significant. A little puddle here or there, but that's it. There does appear to be inacessible compartments with foam blocks in the lower front portion of the box. Maybe that's where it's coming from. The dealer drained out some oil ("too full", of course) and I'll pick it up later in the week.

Looks like I may have to try an alternative...

That's easy to prove or disprove....

Clean the engine and box with de greaser and dry it . Blow baby powder or flour over the seam between engine and then ride. You will see stains and paths of oil in the powder as it leaks out

You do see some the have a very slight leak from the rear main seal that comes out from the bell housing seam.

Every guzzi I worked on has some form of condensed oil in the air box and its quite likely that it leaks out

Last edited:
Are the problems and solutions talked about in this thread confined to the later V7 series with single throttle body or are they also applicable to the earlier V7's with dual throttle bodies?

I follow this thread with much interest but somewhere I was lost so I would like to make some things clear.Please help me.
In V7ii's at least two rubber tubes from the rocker covers plug at the backbone tube of the frame.Higher at the backbone tube (towards the steering) plugs another rubber tube which goes to the air box and lower (towards the seat)another one which via a one way valve plugs to the sump.
I believe what you propose is to unplug the rubber tube of the air box and somehow extend it somewhere at the back at open air. I didn't understand what I am doing with the sump tube, logically you leave it as it is, plugged to the backbone tube ( since I don't see how that may cause a problem),or am I wrong?

Thanks George

The lower rubber hose (tube) that you mention doesn't go directly to the sump. That's what I would like it to do. In stock form, it connects to an isolated compartment in the front of the airbox. There is another line that goes from that compartment down to the sump.

This all gets more confusing if you look at the Moto Guzzi parts diagrams. The USA diagrams show many more tubes connected to the airbox with "Ts" and some other unknown destination. My bike, a USA bike, looks just like the Euro diagram. Go figure.

That's easy to prove or disprove....

Clean the engine and box with de greaser and dry it . Blow baby powder or flour over the seam between engine and then ride. You will see stains and paths of oil in the powder as it leaks out

You do see some the have a very slight leak from the rear main seal that comes out from the bell housing seam.

Every guzzi I worked on has some form of condensed oil in the air box and its quite likely that it leaks out

Someone put a post up on another forum, a tech from a Guzzi shop and he said the same thing about the rear main seals that some leak a little bit. He said that often after replaced during a clutch overhaul the rear main seals get a slight leak with a few miles. His claim is that the cranks never run totally true from the factory on some of the bikes.

Someone put a post up on another forum, a tech from a Guzzi shop and he said the same thing about the rear main seals that some leak a little bit. He said that often after replaced during a clutch overhaul the rear main seals get a slight leak with a few miles. His claim is that the cranks never run totally true from the factory on some of the bikes.

Changed the rear seal on the v7tt engine when I swapped the clutch and it still lets a tiny bit out on long fast rides

Put in a wet clutch and fill the bell housing with oil. LOL

Maybe the oil on a dry clutch makes it last longer, not to worry.

Last edited:
The lower rubber hose (tube) that you mention doesn't go directly to the sump. That's what I would like it to do. In stock form, it connects to an isolated compartment in the front of the airbox. There is another line that goes from that compartment down to the sump.

This all gets more confusing if you look at the Moto Guzzi parts diagrams. The USA diagrams show many more tubes connected to the airbox with "Ts" and some other unknown destination. My bike, a USA bike, looks just like the Euro diagram. Go figure.
In the European models (Greek at least) there is no such isolated compartment ,the hose goes directly from the lower part of the backbone tube to the sump.

Be advised....do not let that one way check valve sit too low below that starter. If it's too low the oil will run past that check valve from the sump when the bike is not running and end up trapped between the check valve and the airbox. It will then get sucked into the airbox when you start the bike. If you have oil usage issues that is probably what's going on.

If you find oil puddled up on the bottom of the airbox, that is deffently the cause. Since when things work correctly, all you should find inside that airbox will be a light misting. Light misting good, puddles bad.

My advice would be to actually mount that check valve above the starter motor!!!!! The factory mounted them below the starter motor for esthetics and that's why some folks are having this stupid issue in the first place. Who ever mounted it on my bike got a little liberal with the length of the hose and it hung down below that starter motor by a good margin, it was in fact below the oil level in the freakin sump. We do have a thing called gravity. If you can't figure this one out, it's the meds screwing up your mind.

In fact I would go as far as to say this is something that should be re-mounted on all of these bikes and should be on a check list of things to change along with the plastic fuel filter, Loctite on the front tank mounting bolts, tie strap the clutch cable, making sure you remove the swing arm and grease the frocking splines which sometimes found with little grease, etc. I don't want to re-write a dictionary, so I'll stop here.

Last edited:
Be advised....do not let that one way check valve sit too low below that starter. If it's too low the oil will run past that check valve from the sump when the bike is not running and end up trapped between the check valve and the airbox. It will then get sucked into the airbox when you start the bike. If you have oil usage issues that is probably what's going on.

If you find oil puddled up on the bottom of the airbox, that is deffently the cause. Since when things work correctly, all you should find inside that airbox will be a light misting. Light misting good, puddles bad.

My advice would be to actually mount that check valve above the starter motor!!!!! The factory mounted them below the starter motor for esthetics and that's why some folks are having this stupid issue in the first place. Who ever mounted it on my bike got a little liberal with the length of the hose and it hung down below that starter motor by a good margin, it was in fact below the oil level in the freakin sump. We do have a thing called gravity. If you can't figure this one out, it's the meds screwing up your mind.

In fact I would go as far as to say this is something that should be re-mounted on all of these bikes and should be on a check list of things to change along with the plastic fuel filter, Loctite on the front tank mounting bolts, tie strap the clutch cable, making sure you remove the swing arm and grease the frocking splines which sometimes found with little grease, etc. I don't want to re-write a dictionary, so I'll stop here.
I don't think this is the case because the sump hose in my bike (and probably all European bikes) goes to the frame tube which is way to high.

Probably why they changed it on those bikes. That appears to me to be a better system to safeguard against this issue I and others experienced. I was the one who figured it out and they responded to it.

Sent them a letter explaining this issue with the breather system return hose being too low.

Sent the letter last year and the following year they came up with another system.

This thing had me perplexed for a long time.

I pretty much have got it figured out. I can understand why they changed the system. It was flawed on the 2013 models. OK if you don't let that check valve hang too low.

Last edited:
Update. Although I do have oil in the airbox, that's not the cause of my bellhousing leak. I picked up the bike today. The service department was closed, so I just brought it home. The front of the airbox is 7.5 inches behind the seam on the bellhousing. Tell me again how the oil is dripping from the airbox to that seam?

Back