• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Breather Alternative

I've seen oil move forward depending on wind turbulence. Clean the oil up and keep a close inspection for the source.

I'm not sure how well those seams are sealed on those air boxes. I've seen them just plastic to plastic with no seal at all.

Another trick would be to use a food dye on that oil in the box so you can get a positive ID. Blue or red food dye would do it.

Update. Although I do have oil in the airbox, that's not the cause of my bellhousing leak. I picked up the bike today. The service department was closed, so I just brought it home. The front of the airbox is 7.5 inches behind the seam on the bellhousing. Tell me again how the oil is dripping from the airbox to that seam?
Read my post bellhousing leak,its the gearbox seal that leaks gearbox oil into the bellhousing,unfortunately an engine out repair.

Oil from filter would be blown backwards !

Prob usual rear main seal when oil hot . Mines been better since I dumped the breathers and let it breath to the atmosphere

Read my post bellhousing leak,its the gearbox seal that leaks gearbox oil into the bellhousing,unfortunately an engine out repair.
I did read your post. I was hoping the dealer would take care of it (warranty). I'll call them again later in the week. It's just such a pain to drop off or pick up the bike. They're not very close and traffic is never good.

I did read your post. I was hoping the dealer would take care of it (warranty). I'll call them again later in the week. It's just such a pain to drop off or pick up the bike. They're not very close and traffic is never good.

So what's going on fully. What exactly did they tell you?

You need to do the food dye thing to find out for sure the source?

You have engine oil which would come out of the rar main, transmission oil out of the transmission forward seal and then the other source could be from the airbox and it could blow forward with turbulence causing a vortex under the bike.

Food dye won't hurt anything and it's very easy to do. I'd first dye the airbox oil and then after that the transmission oil. Tranny lube you can smell that stuff anyway.

OK, but oil would be everywhere (top of the tranny, bottom of the airbox, etc) and its not. It's only on the seem.

What seem are you talking about? I'm lost at this point? down under between bell housing and back of the motor seem? If you only have oil there without a trail then that would or could be transmission oil or engine oil and not something that got blown over there if you don't have a trail.

Get some on your finger and smell it to figure out if it's engine oil or transmission oil.

Make sure the shop is not trying to side step you on this one, since this requires pulling the engine out. As far as over filling causing this... not likely, since the sump essentially is a separate tank not open to the engine. So you really can't overfill these bikes, it would need to be overfilled by a very large margin and back up from the gravity feed going into the sump from motor, It would take a whole lot of oil to get into an overfill situation. Top of the line on the dip stick won't cause that, no way no how. Not with the way this thing is set up.

Last edited:
I noticed today on my V7ii that after a good fast ride, using the full rev range, that i have a lot of oil on the bell housing. Not enough to drip on the floor, but on a bike less than a year old and only 1250 miles, i should have no leaks at all. As the Guzzi dealer network is so cr*^*^p here in UK, it means a fair old trip to a dealership to get them to look at it. There seems to be a breather or vent on top of the gearbox. Has anyone else had a problem with gearbox oil venting out of there after a thrashing ride?

Last edited:
Maybe we should start a separate thread for this. I get oil on the seem between the crankcase and the bell housing after a long ride. I'm not sure if it's transmission oil or engine oil. I'm trying to get it fixed. The first dealer failed. He said it was oil dripping from the airbox. You might check yours as it sounds like your oil is farther back than mine.

I noticed today on my V7ii that after a good fast ride, using the full rev range, that i have a lot of oil on the bell housing. Not enough to drip on the floor, but on a bike less than a year old and only 1250 miles, i should have no leaks at all. As the Guzzi dealer network is so cr*^*^p here in UK, it means a fair old trip to a dealership to get them to look at it. There seems to be a breather or vent on top of the gearbox. Has anyone else had a problem with gearbox oil venting out of there after a thrahing ride?

If the gearbox is a little over filled it's normal to get a film around that breather. I get a very slight film sometimes, especially on a very hot day, for me that's well over 100 degrees in the Sacramento area. I've never found leaks around the bell housing thus far. 17,000 plus miles.

One thing to be aware of. The 5 speed transmission holds one liter. The new 6 speed holds (1/2 quart, or 1/2, liter someone correct that for me)?

Thanks for the input, however, it's not a film, it's definitely a leak. And it's not hot here, only 23 celsius. (OK, that's a heat wave for England!)
I'll have a good look tomorrow and see if i can spot the source. If the gearbox is overfilled, it's down to QB dealership, as they're the only people to have spannered it. Over 30 years of servicing my own old bikes, and look what happens when I buy new, and trust a dealer to service it! Live and learn.
As I'm thinking of trading it in already for a V9, I'm not too worried about it, but i would like to know where it's coming from. It's the first time that I've really ridden it fast, and it's thrown oil, so I'm not that impressed.

Maybe we should start a separate thread for this. I get oil on the seem between the crankcase and the bell housing after a long ride. I'm not sure if it's transmission oil or engine oil. I'm trying to get it fixed. The first dealer failed. He said it was oil dripping from the airbox. You might check yours as it sounds like your oil is farther back than mine.

How could it get from the airbox to that seem without a trail?

Throw a bottle of food coloring into the gear box or the engine oil one. It won't hurt anything, it'll just burn off after awhile and make everything inside pretty for awhile. Hell people and dogs eat the chit.

Just in case I'm doing this wrong, and being a muppet . . .
Checking the engine oil on a V7ii, the manual says to have the engine warmed up, allow to stand for a couple minutes, then have it upright to check the engine oil. With the dipstick just resting on the casing, not screwed in.
In 650 miles since the first service, it's used maybe 200 ml, so i topped it up.
Just wondering, if I hadn't checked it correctly, then maybe I overfilled the engine, and the oil is coming from the airbox breather?
It looks like a gearbox leak to me, but I could be wrong. Then again, if the gearbox is going to leak, surely it would leak at the lower part, not the top?
What's the best way to check the gearbox level? I don't think that it's like my old BMW, ie put it upright, and fill til it trickles out of the filler hole.

I hope you guys with the six speed are not over filling the box?

I read someplace some of these shops try to fill it up like a 5 speed with a liter? We had a post like that someplace.

Just in case I'm doing this wrong, and being a muppet . . .
Checking the engine oil on a V7ii, the manual says to have the engine warmed up, allow to stand for a couple minutes, then have it upright to check the engine oil. With the dipstick just resting on the casing, not screwed in.
In 650 miles since the first service, it's used maybe 200 ml, so i topped it up.
Just wondering, if I hadn't checked it correctly, then maybe I overfilled the engine, and the oil is coming from the airbox breather?
It looks like a gearbox leak to me, but I could be wrong. Then again, if the gearbox is going to leak, surely it would leak at the lower part, not the top?
What's the best way to check the gearbox level? I don't think that it's like my old BMW, ie put it upright, and fill til it trickles out of the filler hole.

Check the difficult to read multi language cultural POS owners manual that is unclear on all things written by someone who English was a 3rd language.

On that thing about going from a V7 to a V9 could be like going from a Royal Enfield with 100,000 miles to a Ural with 200,000 miles. You got to have a brass set of balls to do that,nerves of steel and probably a little bit nuts.

Last edited:
Check the difficult to read multi language cultural POS owners manual that is unclear on all things written by someone who English was a 3rd language.

On that thing about going from a V7 to a V9 could be like going from a Royal Enfield with 100,000 miles to a Ural with 200,000 miles. You got to have a brass set of balls to do that,nerves of steel and probably a little bit nuts.

Are you thinking of the old model? I am thinking of trading up to a new V9, the Roamer or Bobber. I realise that US models sometimes have different names.

I hope you guys with the six speed are not over filling the box?

I read someplace some of these shops try to fill it up like a 5 speed with a liter? We had a post like that someplace.

As I said, I'm not filling it up. I'm trusting the dealer to do that!

Image Further to my last posts, the oil isn't from the gearbox, it seems to be from the diff. The gearbox breather has a black rubber tube attached, but the diff only has a vent, no pipe. Awaiting reply from the dealer, I'll keep you posted. I've attached pics, dunno if anyone can shed any light?

Back