• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

I use Dynabeads for balancing. Been using them for five years on my Honda ST1300, my Ducati Diavel and now the Cali.

has anyone experimented with 180s instead of the 200 rear tire on the 1400?

anyone want to speculate about how it would impact handling -- a 180/65-16 would leave the speedo within 1-2 percent of factory size 200 tire

specifically, would it make 1400 more nimble? impact stability, gas mileage?

Plenty of examples here says that the handling improves greatly but I just like the tyre big (as well as how it left the factory) not sure if it would affect insurance.

I fitted a Dunlop D407 180/65 3,000km ago, having worn out the original Dunlop D251 in 6,000km, followed by a Bridgestone Exedra in 7,000km. The new tyre is stamped 'Harley Davidson' and is multi-compound. On the 6.00" rim, the profile is clearly flatter than it was with the 200/60 tyres. I was conscious that the tyre change might affect the bike, but I haven't really noticed much difference.

I have 2,000km of riding in the mountains, hundreds of corners of every shape and size, on this tyre, and I can't fault it. I loved the handling on the original tyres, and I love the handling on this 180/65. I have only been on dry roads so far, so I can't comment on wet road grip. Stability is fine. Milage was unchanged. The wear rate is very low so far.

Stephen

I put an Avon Cobra 180/70/16 on the rear on Friday and headed of to the Anzac rally at Tahora [just past Whangmomona} on Saturday, wow, what a difference it has made, heading along the Wiremu road it was noticeable instantly, cruising along there at 120 - 150s was so much better not having to crank it over to get round the bends it just turned in so nice, on to the Forgotten World Hwy and it felt even better as I was getting used to it. The 180 has made a huge difference on these tight roads, will have to wait and see how long it lives for, my last 200 Avon did 8500 ks and could have been pushed to 9500 at a pinch, Well worth trying the 180. Thanks for the post.

I'd be curious to see what the back of the bike looked like with a 180 on it. I like that the handling seems to improve but I still do like the look of the big tire. Can't have it both ways I guess.

At 14k KMs time to change the original Dunlops. Got a decent price on Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial, 300 CAD for both. Hope I get another 14k.

At 14k KMs time to change the original Dunlops. Got a decent price on Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial, 300 CAD for both. Hope I get another 14k.

That's gotta be close to a record for the Dunlops. If you're that gentle on tyres you get more on the Exedras. I've got 12k on my Bridgestone Battleaxe 020, and I'm hoping for another 2-3k.

I'd be curious to see what the back of the bike looked like with a 180 on it. I like that the handling seems to improve but I still do like the look of the big tire. Can't have it both ways I guess.

I put stock sized Avon Cobras on mine when I did the last change. The Avons handle very nicely.

has anyone experimented with 180s instead of the 200 rear tire on the 1400?

anyone want to speculate about how it would impact handling -- a 180/65-16 would leave the speedo within 1-2 percent of factory size 200 tire

specifically, would it make 1400 more nimble? impact stability, gas mileage?

I just noticed in the 2016 MG Eldorado ad it states that the rear tire on it is a 180. Being basically the same bike other than the rims I'd say we might be good to go with the 180.

I just noticed in the 2016 MG Eldorado ad it states that the rear tire on it is a 180. Being basically the same bike other than the rims I'd say we might be good to go with the 180.
Incorrect in that the rims sizes are different. Both narrower 16" rims, front and rear:
3.50” x 16” - 130/90 R16ʼʼ
5.50” x 16” - 180/65 R16ʼʼ

Incorrect in that the rims sizes are different. Both narrower 16" rims, front and rear:
3.50” x 16” - 130/90 R16ʼʼ
5.50” x 16” - 180/65 R16ʼʼ
Sorry for my lack of specificity. I was focused on the 180 tire width which is less than the 200. I suppose to be fair we would also have to look at rim size too to evaluate performance.

Sorry for my lack of specificity. I was focused on the 180 tire width which is less than the 200. I suppose to be fair we would also have to look at rim size too to evaluate performance.
I missed your rim comment in the first post, but yes, rim size is as important. That said, I have already mounted and recommend the 180/65 in the 6.0" Cal Custom/Tour/Audace rear rim.

I know someone else also mentioned their concern with the look of the 180 from the rear as compared to the 200 and having seen both on the bike, do you see a marked difference in the look of the bike from the rear?

Thanks,

Dave

having seen both on the bike, do you see a marked difference in the look of the bike from the rear?
Yes, the steam-roller look is gone, leaving a good looking, ever so slightly narrower 20mm/.77" tire.

Yes, the steam-roller look is gone, leaving a good looking, ever so slightly narrower 20mm/.77" tire.
Haven't done the photo yet but I agree with Todd in that the look is very much the same, really hard to notice the bit of width missing, handling vs looks? Highway load carrying maybe the 200 is best, tighter NZ type roads 180 seems best, I gained 1.9% circumference and also 5% sidewall, but haven't noticed any distortion going on. Will do pic.

Highway load carrying maybe the 200 is best, tighter NZ type roads 180 seems best, I gained 1.9% circumference and also 5% sidewall, but haven't noticed any distortion going on.

Not doubting your experiences, but I'm assuming correctly the better handling is due to the 5% sidewall increase allowing a slightly better lean angle? Or is it something I've missed?

I'm contemplating doing the same as you.

Back