• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal14 - Self cancelling turn signals

roadventure

GT Reference
I didn't even know Cali 1400 had self-cancelling turn signals. Is that some add-on of yours or did it come standard with the bike?

;) Yes, isn't it quite funny to make the turn signals self-canceling AFTER 45 SECONDS? That is not helpful, it is dangerous. But, they DO cancel after 45 seconds. I found a road with no other traffic and tested my Custom.

Roadventure, thanks for joining the conversation. I'm curious to know whether your bike actually did cancel the blinker after 45 seconds Were you riding it on that "road with no other traffic"? If so then the blinkers likely cancelled after 0.3 miles, which is the second condition under which Moto Guzzi designed them to cancel. Mileage is the only way mine work. If I put my blinker on with the bike in neutral and on the side stand, two minutes later the blinker is still blinking. Mine ONLY cancel after I've ridden 0.3 miles, and this is way too far as we both know. Nice hearing from you.

Later my friend.
Den.

Den,

I did time the self-canceling feature for time and I was moving (riding) at the time. I have not yet checked for distance (~.3 miles). In either case the time and associated distance is so great to make "self canceling" a non-feature. Other bikes I have owned with a self canceling turn signal feature shut off the turn signal within I about three to five seconds after the turn.

I'll do the turn signal test again soon and pay better attention to the distance and the time.

Den,

I did time the self-canceling feature for time and I was moving (riding) at the time. I have not yet checked for distance (~.3 miles). In either case the time and associated distance is so great to make "self canceling" a non-feature. Other bikes I have owned with a self canceling turn signal feature shut off the turn signal within I about three to five seconds after the turn.

I'll do the turn signal test again soon and pay better attention to the distance and the time.

I too have thought that seems way too long for this self-cancelling feature to kick in especially if you are going around someone and want to turn back into the lane after passing them. I just discovered (after 1 1/2 months of riding the bike) that all I have to do is push the turn signaler in to shut it off and honestly, I did read the owners manual but somehow missed it.

Dave

;) Yes, isn't it quite funny to make the turn signals self-canceling AFTER 45 SECONDS? That is not helpful, it is dangerous. But, they DO cancel after 45 seconds. I found a road with no other traffic and tested my Custom.

I tried it out and it actually does cancel them out LOL. Took almost a whole turn around the neighborhood but they did cancel. And now I can't stop wondering about the thought process behind the decision to make it so useless!

I think I figured out the reasoning behind the self-cancellation being set up the way it is. In city riding they probably expect you to cancel the turn signals yourself because you're making actual 90 deg turns and such, but it's way easier to forget it on a highway when you're using turn signals to overtake the vehicle in front of you. Since cancellation is distance-based it actually cancels the signal at a nice point in time when going 65mph+ :)

I think I figured out the reasoning behind the self-cancellation being set up the way it is. In city riding they probably expect you to cancel the turn signals yourself because you're making actual 90 deg turns and such, but it's way easier to forget it on a highway when you're using turn signals to overtake the vehicle in front of you. Since cancellation is distance-based it actually cancels the signal at a nice point in time when going 65mph+ :)

I disagree. I think they just screwed up. Someone can forget to cancel their turn signal no matter where they are riding.

I disagree. I think they just screwed up. Someone can forget to cancel their turn signal no matter where they are riding.

I would find it hard to believe there is any "standard" we'd all agree on for length of time based on distance before the turn signal shuts off. Some people take it slow and some let's just say are quicker. I enjoy passing the slow pokes with a quick burst of throttle but with that comes the "long wait" for it to self-cancel. It just seems to take forever and by then, I'm ready to pass another slow poke! I know, I know, just slow down but in my case when you've been riding a roadking for umpteen years and you switch to a quicker (and better) bike (i.e. the 1400) it's tough.

Dave

LOL! Yup, seems there is always something new to discover.

Yea I only noticed it did it when I read the owners manual. The bikes will also warn you if you ride on the brake for a long time(first with a warning then I think they will flash some idiot lights). I tested the turn signal feature, don't feel like riding my brakes to test that idiot light.

Back