• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 blowing oil through the rings

elkgrichard

High Miler
Re-routed the vent system to by pass the airbox and now on the freeway the airbox is filling up with oil and then it fouls the plugs. Only way it can get oil into the airbox at this point would be from the combustion chamber. So I guess I'll need to put this thing in the shop. Either way I lose, Guzzi will lose, no winners in this situation. Very sad, and what really bothers me, the fact that I love riding this bike. Most fun little bike I've ever own. If this happen with some others bikes I had in the past, I would not have given a crap, but it bothers me greatly because I really like this bike. Sort of like catching your girlfriend on the 50 yard line with the football team.

I'll see how they want to take care of this, Lemon Law, new engine, new bike, whatever. But I'm not going to let them run over the top of me. Too old, Too wise, and know what strings to pull.

OK, you changed the vent system and now you are getting oil in the airbox. Are you sure it isn't something you did? Re-check what you did. If there are no vent systems hoses to the airbox, there is no way for oil to get there. If is going past the rings, it would go out the exhaust, not into the airbox. The crankcase must vent to atmosphere in some manner or excessive crankcase pressure can result.

No hoses going into the air box, the two from the head are vented to the rear fender and blow a little mist out the back. So how would the oil get into the airbox? Can it blow through the intake valves and then blow into the airhox? I don't even for the life of me understand how the oil could come out of the engine into the airbox? I'm very confused at this point. You would think it can only blow out the exhaust? YIKES! Lot of oil in the airbox, about 1/8 inch deep on the bottom. Then the intake mouth and butterfly saturated wet with oil. So is there another oil vent of some type that is going into this airbox I don't know about?

The only vents I know of I thought only those two out of the heads...Could there be another vent from the crank I don't know about into that box somehow?

Rich - I believe you said you just plugged the sump return. Where did that line originate? Did it come off the top frame tube (oil separator) or the airbox? The reason I ask is that I have seen about three different diagrams of the breather system. One of them had the sump return coming out of the airbox. If yours was set up that way, then the oil you have in the airbox is the leftover stuff from the oil separator.

Joe. I think you could have figured this out. Because oil probably left over in the front of the compartment the vent lines originally plugged into. It must be finishing up sucking out of that area what oil was left in there, and it continues to show up in the box, only notice it after a hard run. My riding buddy is over here and he thinks the same thing also. We just got done with that conversation and then your post showed up saying the same thing he's saying.

That overflow line is just pugged with a bolt, it just went form the sump direct to the airbox oil separator in front of the air box, and then there was a Y that went up to the left side of the airbox which was just a drain for oil to return that got inside the box to the sump.

So this must just be oil that end up trapped in that oil separator and under hard throttle, it's getting sucked into the airbox.

This bike is really working me over.

Rich

I hate to read these stories of folks who "improve" their motorcycles without any understanding about how things work, and then complain that their motorcycles are "broken". Neither my stock '13 V7 nor my stock '15 V7II had/have any problems with oil consumption or excessive oil in the air box. Yes, I do understand how the blowby/crankcase vent system is supposed to work, and I've carefully described it on this forum and others. From what I've read of your posts, you don't seem to have any understanding of this system. [Sorry, mod, you'll probably delete this post, but I've lost patience and can't help posting it.]

It's oil that was trapped in that separator in front of the air box. It'll clear out after awhile and then everything should be ok or better. It's sort of like things improve slowly. Baby steps.

As far as understanding this airbox and ventilation system the work myself and others have done at least shine a light on this lame vent system.

As I've said in the past. My riding conditions are not like other peoples. I'm dealing with very high temperatures along with high speed freeway cruise speeds most often in excess of 80 mph to keep from getting run over out here. I'm also dealing with elevation changes which require more heavy throttle on situations which end up probably producing more pressure to build up inside of the engine.

If I ride on level ground at sane speeds the bike runs great. It's the higher RPM stuff that compromise the venting system on this bike.

I think in the long run I've probably developed a better understanding of this vent system then most people knew previously. For example the fact that oil end up trapped and only moves out of that oil separation area under high RPM settings.

So I'm figuring more out about this bike and oil usage then previously preached when I first got here.

IF I rode on level ground at moderate temp AND SPEEDS none of these issues ever would have come up.

It's all speed and environment related, most folks probably never reach the limits of this breathing system as I've experienced. As they say apples and oranges. That's the problem with forums.

I had to deal with this same issue on other bikes, it's only that this bike's been a bit more of a challenge since the venting system had a few more snafus to it.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Figured out a way to flush out that forward lower compartment with the oil separator system in there. Lot of oil trapped in there. Used a syringe connected to that forward lower hole and force pumped a solvent into that compartment, opened up the two spigots forward lower outside area to allow all the junk to come on out of there. Must have been 1/8 quart of oil trapped in there along with mayo junk. This original vent system just flat out didn't work with my riding conditions.

This bike's ill equipped for mountain riding and high temperutre freeway work.

But i'm getting there. I can see the light through the tunnel now.

I hate to read these stories of folks who "improve" their motorcycles without any understanding about how things work, and then complain that their motorcycles are "broken". Neither my stock '13 V7 nor my stock '15 V7II had/have any problems with oil consumption or excessive oil in the air box. Yes, I do understand how the blowby/crankcase vent system is supposed to work, and I've carefully described it on this forum and others. From what I've read of your posts, you don't seem to have any understanding of this system. [Sorry, mod, you'll probably delete this post, but I've lost patience and can't help posting it.]

SIr, with all due respect, you are not considering the riding conditions that other people experience other then what you experience with this bike and your riding conditions. As far as your knowledge on the venting system, I never did see a post from you that shed any light on the system what so ever. I did however notice one post once that did shed light on how you ride, how often and at what speeds. Apples and oranges compared to my riding conditions and speeds, my elevation climbs alone... living in the Sierra Nevada's will stress out 100 HP motorcycles. If I lived where you live, and traveled the roads you're on, at your speeds and such, I'd go out and buy a Vespa and be happy.

Apples and oranges, and further more, don't ever insult me as far as my knowledge again, or anyone else on this board for that matter. I try to remain humble, and I'm not a know it all.

Last edited:
I really don't want to enter this fray, so I'll simply say that Guzzi Master has some pithy comments on the air system in his book Guzziology.
It's not a cheap book, but it's a great source of knowledge.
yeah 2 hoses from the valve covers to the rear mud guard and dump the sump return....

Back