• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Marvel Mystery Oil

Larry Vance

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Has anyone used this as a fuel additive for cleaning the fuel injectors? Met a long time Ducati owner who swears by the stuff.

Thanks

I've used it on the outside of the engine. Used with aluminum foil, to clean old corrosion.
As for inside the engine, I like the idea, but intellectually I think it's snake oil.
Although the idea of adding it just before an oil change to loosen things up seems like a good idea.

Actually the injectors are easy to remove and send out for a real analysis and cleaning.

I often see references for MMO on a Model T forum to lubricate valves stems when mixed with fuel. Many there agree it is snake oil, some swear by the stuff. As for injectors, you are better off occasionally adding some sea foam to your fuel, or stick with top tier fuels that have sufficient cleaning agents.

I've seen people dribble it in the carb (mostly on cars & trucks) with the engine running about 2000 rpm to clean the carbon off valves & pistons. One guy would slowly increase the amount he poured in until the engine started to choke then he would splash in a bunch & let the engine die. He'd go off & smoke a Camel, come back get the car started and race the engine until it cleared out & would idle again.
I used to dump a little in the fuel tank of my old Ambassador thinking it might be a little extra lube, didn't ever hurt it but don't know if it helped.

or stick with top tier fuels that have sufficient cleaning agents.

I go out of my way to get top tier fuels. Not sure if it really matters, as when I pulled my low mileage V7 heads they did not look clean at all.

I'm thinking about investing in race gas for my bike, although my wallet begs for mercy.

I go out of my way to get the cheapest fuel available. I've never had injector problems on my motorcycles (over 21,000 mi) or on my cars (probably over 500,000 mi). I consign Marvel Mystery Oil and its kin to the mytholoogy department, along with magnetic fuel enhancers.

Growing up in a small city of 600 people & being the main "wrench" in the area I got to know people, their cars & their habits.

Oils? Fuels? Additives? At some point I had the heads off & many times the pans off most of the machinery that lived in the area. Irrigation pumps to hi-perf car & marine engines with tractors & weed wackers thrown in. Never liked the 2-strokes.

In the 50's until the late 70's fuels & oils may have made a difference, in today's world not so much.
Octane ratings are probably one of the least understood things out there.
Hi octane does not make an engine run, faster, better or cleaner but the idea behind it sells a lot of fuel.

In the 50's until the late 70's fuels & oils may have made a difference, in today's world not so much.
Octane ratings are probably one of the least understood things out there.
Hi octane does not make an engine run, faster, better or cleaner but the idea behind it sells a lot of fuel.

I agree on the high octane to a degree. Past experience on certain vehicles shows a marked difference. I put regular in my 2007 Norge when I had it and then go find the little kid that dropped a bag of marbles in my engine. The knocking was very loud. I have not tried it on my 2012. My Mini Cooper JCW calls for premium and runs ok on regular but the 2 times I tried it I lost 3-5mpg. I have a low compression ratio Honda Pacific Coast. I put regular in it a couple times. It seems to run ok but on start up it is not happy. I have only heard it backfire (I know, afterfire) out the exhaust upon starting when it had the regular in it. I see no reason it should not like regular but it doesn't. I used to not care because what was $0.20-$0.25 a gallon? Now it is between $0.40 and $0.70 a gallon extra and I am not particularly pleased with that.

As for Marvel Mystery Oil and other such stuff I am not a fan but I was big doubter of all the claims people made of Sea Foam. My Mini was starting rough and sounded like clogged injectors so I dumped in a can. It cleared up and ran fine. So I am somewhat of a convert there. Since it can be used a fuel preservative I have put it in my bikes for the winter,

I've used MMO successfully for decades.
The most dramatic benefit was realized when we added a few ounces to a friend's gold wing because it had noisy lifter.
It quieted the lifter and it stayed quite
It's also good as a gun oil as it doesn't gum up

Back