• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wrong mixture after replacing mufflers v65?

Auris

Tuned and Synch'ed
Recently I replaced my old mufflers for a set of used stock v65 SP (my bike is not SP) mufflers, which look almost the same only 2 cm shorter. I went for a ride they felt great. But after the engine warmed up it started hesitating when accelerating. It would idle ok, but as soon as I pull the throttle there is a sudden dip, once it passes a certain range the rev catch up. Since then I did almost 300 km with the new mufflers on and now even starting is difficult. I tried adjusting the mixture screw, previously it was just half a turn out, now around 1.5 turns out and seems to have helped a bit, but not good enough. The mufflers are quite loud so perhaps there is an an air leak.

The spark plugs are black and I spotted black stuff coming out of the mufflers. The previous mufflers were black so I may have not noticed that before. Am I running too rich or too lean? Or is it a coincidence and something else is wrong? I've always suspected the breathing circuit was not a 100%.

IMG 6462 IMG 6514

You are running very rich. You need to lean that bike out. Also if the pipes are loud, the internals may be shot reducing back pressure. That will change the flow of your mix through the engine. . Have any intake mods been performed? Also if you open the throttle to quickly, the engine will bog down until air velocity increases improving the mix. I've found the slower you move your right had on a carb bike, the better it performs.

Sometimes when I run into performance issues, I go back to basics and check all adjustments. Timing, fuel mixture, valve lash, spark (be it points or electronic), check and replace air and fuel filters if need be, adjust or service carbs. As John mentioned, back pressure is a critical component of the system, but it doesn't hurt or take long to check everything. Sometimes issues are coincidental to other actions you have taken. Sure sounds like you are running rich. If all else fails, try the original mufflers again and see if it runs right.

You are running very rich. You need to lean that bike out. Also if the pipes are loud, the internals may be shot reducing back pressure. That will change the flow of your mix through the engine. . Have any intake mods been performed? Also if you open the throttle to quickly, the engine will bog down until air velocity increases improving the mix. I've found the slower you move your right had on a carb bike, the better it performs.

John, what do you mean by "internals may be shot? This weekend I will try to seal the pipes better, maybe that will help. There are no intake modifications. The airfilter is stock and the carbs too. As for what Hawghauler mentioned, the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs were all replaced a few months ago - right before my trip to spain (3000 km), carbs had a bath and were reassembled using new o-rings. On the other hand I drove through raind and dust, etc. I will check the state of airfilter and fuel filter. I don't know yet how to adjust timing and valves, will have to learn I suppose...

What I mean about the internals of the muffler is they may have failed/come apart/ been removed/ drilled out. I have this suspicion since you said the bike was louder.

Here is an update. Took the mufflers off again and put them back on, but this time used some Permatex super copper silicone to make a better seal. Replaced the spark plugs, replaced the o-ring of the idle speed screw on the left carb (looked very worn). Now the bike runs smooth. Although something strange happened while tuning the mixture of the right carb. Turned the screw all the way in but that side didn't stall, took the spark plug from the other side to test if the right side still runs and it did, with the mixture screw all they way in. I found it to run the best at only half a turn out. Isn't that strange? Couldn't that mean that perhaps the starter circuit is not closing well and therefore providing enough fuel even when the mixture screw is in?

The mix screw meters fuel, not air on these carburetors. Not uncommon to observe this with a DelO'rto, but it just means something is a bit off with the carb channels or pilot jet. The main thing is just to get her running correctly.

Back