• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Leak 2010 Griso V8

guzzichick

Just got it firing!
I have a Griso 1200, have oil leak from rear main bearing, can't find information on oil sensors, pressures etc.
Can't find anything in the Manual, hoping someone can help
Bike is a 2010 model and has done less than 30,000'km.
Have replaced main oil seal but no change.

Doubt the system is getting over pressured. More than the rear main would be leaking if it were. Did the mechanic check for imperfections on the crankshaft where the seal rides? What about the gasket for the rear main bearing? Also the shaft cover for the in head cam chains shaft? and the oil galley plugs?

There were problems with some early 8V's due to the long bolts being used in the lower holes of the main bearing flange. There was a technical update on it but I don't think it ever appeared on the service site.

What happens is that because the bottom of the flange doesn't clamp an o-ring deforms and leaks. ItS a gearbox out job if that's it. Boring. Being a 2010 model my guess is you'll have trouble chasing warranty unless you bought it recently and the warranty has only just been activated.

Pete

I have a leak on my 2010 Griso which sounds very similar. Purchased 8 weeks ago. Will be getting checked out this week hopefully. Oil around rubber flange on top of shaft, could be from the plug, not sure exactly due to movement of oil when travelling at speed. :roll:

Will post findings.

longbolt_zps4123cedf.jpg

This is the long bolts issue Pete talking about.

Sorry to dredge this up, but I've seen a 2007 low mileage 8v that looks like it has this issue.

Price is very right. And given its age I'd probably keep it until it until it or I don't go any more.

So, if I change the bolts and leave it, what's likely to happen?

I really don't care about a few drops of oil, I grew up with and still have classic bikes.

But there's a long queue of bikes here that need work, so if a few spots is going to turn into a gush and I have to take the gearbox off, I'll walk briskly away.

Saw a 2007 Griso 8v, 10,000 miles,very cheap, bit of an oil leak apparently.

I've always fancied one, love the looks, and have a soft spot for them having nearly bought a Le Mans mk1 several times in late 70s early 80s.

However, reading around here it sounds like I'd be buying trouble...

I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, but I currently have a long list of bikes to fix. My KTM has a broken gear box, my V-Rod and Daytona both need valve jobs (and both are bucket over shim), the list goes on.

So, something I have to fix all the time is not good.

What's this tappet issue?

Tappet issue is on the '09-12 Griso 8V 1200 motor. The 1100 motor is quite solid for the most part. The only problematic areas are with the electrics and grounds relating the to the start sequence. Major service items are the swing arm and suspension lube if not caught early, would need to be replaced. Not high $ items, just slightly labor intensive. As long as the alternator belt and basic maintenance has been done, they are 100k mile bikes with little drama. Plenty of info posted here.

Thanks, I see now. This is an 07 8v, does that pre-date the issue, or is it all early eight valves?

Merged this thread with your new single post on above.

Thanks, I see now. This is an 07 8v, does that pre-date the issue, or is it all early eight valves?
It can't be an '07 8V unless the details are wrong. The '07 Griso 1100 is 2VPC and the '09-current 1200 8V is 4VPC. The 8V has flat tappets from '09-12.

The owner has either got the model or the year wrong, he claims this is a 2007 8v.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-19-01-44-33.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-19-01-44-33.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 7
I guess Europe may have had the 8valve before the US. If it hasn't had the roller conversion done, stay away from it unless the price is 1500 to 2000 pounds below book value.

I guess Europe may have had the 8valve before the US. If it hasn't had the roller conversion done, stay away from it unless the price is 1500 to 2000 pounds below book value.
Yes, I've gathered. Shame, I want an 8 valve because I would need that power, it's a whim purchase so needs to be old and cheap.

Never mind, it was a nice idea, but a bad one it seems.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Having owned a 4V and an 8V Norge I personally liked the power delivery and the mileage of the 4V engine better (Roughly 47 mpg to 35 mpg). The power difference is not all that pronounced for that kind of mileage drop though there was a 4 year stretch between ownership so my mind may be foggy. Test ride a 4V. Not as fast as the other bikes you own but nice power. I will say as far as ownership and working on the bike the 8V seems to be much easier though the guy that came up with the dipstick solution on the Norge should be shot.
I do agree though if the roller lifters are not installed, walk. If they are then I think it is a god deal.

Yes, I've gathered. Shame, I want an 8 valve because I would need that power, it's a whim purchase so needs to be old and cheap.

Never mind, it was a nice idea, but a bad one it seems.

Thanks for the advice folks!
I've got a 4V Griso and 8V Norge, IMO the 4 valve is the BETTER motor, and suits the Griso's thuggish attitude. The 8V is sweet, a bit more refined and has more power, but the 4V has much more character. If you are going to go with an 8V make sure it has been rollerized if it is a 2008-2013. Big problems there.

I wish I could drop a 4V motor in my 2014 Norge Chassis.......

longbolt_zps4123cedf.jpg

Hi...
I am in possession of GRISO 1100, 2007 and also have quite large oil leakage. Does the problem of excessively long screws also occurs in this model? After replacing the crankshaft seal and gearbox seal, there is no improvement, leakage still occurs.

Back