• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Not the best first post...sorry!

0Dogg

Just got it firing!
Sorry, folks...been planning to make the traditional "here is my bike" first-time post. But, I waited too long and now I need some minor mechanical help!

First...the bike. I'll post some more 20160609 184140 resized 13339476 10209753837426197 9198948074450799367 n pics soon. I bought a very lightly used (900 miles) 2011 V7 Racer and had it shipped over 1600 miles from Montana to Kentucky. It has been a blast and I've enjoyed every minute of owning it...until today!

Luckily, I was by the house when I noticed the shift lever was loose and that the gearbox was unresponsive. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the ball joint/bolt were not connected to the lever and slightly mangled.

My questions are:

1. Is this common?

2. Should there be a nut on the exterior side of the ball joint/bolt and lever?

3. I checked an exploded diagram and if I have to replace the part, it looks to be AP8110053. However, when I enter that into a parts database, the results are mostly this part...which seems different. https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp

Thanks in advance for the help! Looking forward to being here!

Posted new pic of my 2013 racer. Not a bad idea to regularly check to make sure stuff is tight and looks right.

Last edited:
Your bike doesn't look good. Fortunately factory parts aren't usually necessary for common pieces.
I would see if your closest bike shop had something for it.

If the threads are OK on the shift lever just re-install the part using blue loctite (242 formula). The joint takes an 8mm wrench to install if memory serves me correctly. If the threads are damaged, you will need a helicoil to repair the shift lever.

Many thanks for the help everyone. Initially tried to re-thread the bolt and use Blue Loctite. I noticed after a short ride that the ball joint was loose again. So, I bit the bullet and bought 2 ball joints (always good to have a spare!) from a shop in California and it seems to be as good as new! I suppose this must've been an existing problem when I bought the bike, but I just hadn't noticed. The throw from 1st to 2nd isn't nearly as long/inconsistent now. I've been keeping an eye on it...wanted to make sure the shifter wasn't damaged by the bad bolt...seems to be okay. I used Loctite 242 on the new piece, as well.

I look forward to learning more from you guys. Thanks again for the assist!

****UPDATE****

Well, I came out of the office today and noticed that this problem had manifested itself once again. I can only deduce now that the gear lever itself is compromised. So, it seems I have several options here...

1. Replace gear lever and ball joint to get a clean start from OEM.

2. Use a more aggressive thread lock...like a Loctite 262. Any downside to this? I don't plan on changing out the gear lever.

3. This Frankenstein method I came up with to get me home...picture attached. Intuitively, it makes more sense as it actually has a nut on the end to prevent the ball joint from coming out, rotating, etc. I assume the OEM spacer is there for a reason, but it didn't seem to change the ease of shifting, etc. on my way home. Am I missing something here?

For the life of me, I can't understand the design of this component...an open-ended bolt on a part that rotates so much during a standard shift cycle. What's worse is that on the other side of the ball joint is a configuration that makes total sense!

Has anyone else been plagued by this issue?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20160824_201732_resized.jpg
    20160824_201732_resized.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Perhaps we now know why someone sold it before it was properly run in. Is the bike still in warranty? If so, get your nearest dealer to look at it.

Perhaps we now know why someone sold it before it was properly run in. Is the bike still in warranty? If so, get your nearest dealer to look at it.

Out of warranty, so I think I'm on my own on this one. Still wondering how common this is given, what seems to be, questionable design.

You might try some red threadlocker, otherwise how to the threads look in the shift lever? If the threads are boogered and the ball joint goes in loosely then you may need to consider a helicoil as mentioned earlier.

Design is OK it has been used on a lot of machinery for a lot of years.

Are you feeling any unusual vibrations on the foot pegs & especially on the left side?
Vibes are what make things loosen up & the threads may be a bit sloppy now so it's probably time to replace the worn parts.

I doubt this is going to turn out to be anything real serious. I'm thinking that the previous owner may have tinkered with it and stripped threads by over tightening or possibly bad prep at the dealer.

You can use red loctite on it if you don't plan on changing it out. And if you were to ever need to take the part off, apply heat before loosening. A heat gun would be best. A flame might discolor the metal.

Thanks guys. No odd vibration as far as I can tell. My guess is that the threads are shot in the lever. So, I'm looking at helicoil or replacement. I'll post updates just in case anyone else runs into this issue!

Well, so weird...bought a new lever and new ball joint so I could start from scratch...and it came loose after about 25 miles of riding. I think red loctite + loctite primer is the next step...

The blue loctite should be strong enough. The jam nut does need to be tight to keep it from coming apart. Hold the heim joint with one wrench near the center of rotation, then tighten the jam nut. It shouldn't move after that. Strange we don't hear of this from others.

The blue loctite should be strong enough. The jam nut does need to be tight to keep it from coming apart. Hold the heim joint with one wrench near the center of rotation, then tighten the jam nut. It shouldn't move after that. Strange we don't hear of this from others.

Actually, as far as I can tell, the issue isn't with the heim joint/jam nut...the issue perpetuates itself where the heim joint meets the gear lever. Unless, you're suggesting that the issue I'm having is a derivative of an issue with the heim joint/jam nut.

Actually, as far as I can tell, the issue isn't with the heim joint/jam nut...the issue perpetuates itself where the heim joint meets the gear lever. Unless, you're suggesting that the issue I'm having is a derivative of an issue with the heim joint/jam nut.

From your description I couldn't tell what was coming apart. If it is the ball at the lever, then you may need the red. I hate to use red loctite except when setting cylinder studs,

From your description I couldn't tell what was coming apart. If it is the ball at the lever, then you may need the red. I hate to use red loctite except when setting cylinder studs,

Yeah, it wasn't my first choice...but, since the new parts were doing the same thing, I went ahead and bit the bullet and dropped some red on them. The primer was key, I think...that and also making sure both parts were clean, of course.

Now...on to another problem. I'll update this if the problem perpetuates itself again. Thanks again to everyone here for their input. I have another issue to address, but I'll start a new thread.

Last edited:
Sorry, folks...been planning to make the traditional "here is my bike" first-time post. But, I waited too long and now I need some minor mechanical help!

First...the bike. I'll post some more View attachment 10465 View attachment 10466pics soon. I bought a very lightly used (900 miles) 2011 V7 Racer and had it shipped over 1600 miles from Montana to Kentucky. It has been a blast and I've enjoyed every minute of owning it...until today!

Luckily, I was by the house when I noticed the shift lever was loose and that the gearbox was unresponsive. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the ball joint/bolt were not connected to the lever and slightly mangled.

My questions are:

1. Is this common?

2. Should there be a nut on the exterior side of the ball joint/bolt and lever?

3. I checked an exploded diagram and if I have to replace the part, it looks to be AP8110053. However, when I enter that into a parts database, the results are mostly this part...which seems different. https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp

Thanks in advance for the help! Looking forward to being here!

On 2015 Racer there was a locking nut outboard that loosened and apparently fell off. I never noticed this. The ball screw backed out (inboard) and sheered off on a simple shift to First Gear. I was able get about 3-4 threads back in to get home. My local shop did not have a replacement so I had to order the entire linkage assembly. Chatted with Todd at Guzzi Tech and he trying to get me a stainless steel assembly that should end my problem.

Back to your problem.....you need a longer ball screw so you can get a locking nut (or nut and lockwasher) to end your problem.

Last edited:
On 2015 Racer there was a locking nut outboard that loosened and apparently fell off. I never noticed this. The ball screw backed out (inboard) and sheered off on a simple shift to First Gear. I was able get about 3-4 threads back in to get home. My local shop did not have a replacement so I had to order the entire linkage assembly. Chatted with Todd at Guzzi Tech and he trying to get me a stainless steel assembly that should end my problem.

Back to your problem.....you need a longer ball screw so you can get a locking nut (or nut and lockwasher) to end your problem.

Update to this...so far so good with the primer/red loctite combo!

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Back