• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 Service Code Reset!

It will show up again 6000 miles after you reset it.

Are you sure it's after 6,000 miles, and not just a multiple of 6,000 miles? I say this because before I discovered the code, I had a dealer reset it and change the speedometer to kilometers at the same time. Less than 1000 km later, the spanner reappeared. It stayed there until I could do it myself.

Are you sure it's after 6,000 miles, and not just a multiple of 6,000 miles? I say this because before I discovered the code, I had a dealer reset it and change the speedometer to kilometers at the same time. Less than 1000 km later, the spanner reappeared. It stayed there until I could do it myself.

I agree. Mine just came on after resetting it 4000 miles ago. Came on at 18700 miles. I think it's programmed for specific miles(km) at least on mine...

If this will stop you from buying another Guzzi then don't buy a BMW either. I was fuming when I had to take it to the dealer to get the code cleared. When I bought the 1400 I figured it to be like my 1200 Norge was but NOT. I only paid $20 to get the BMW code cleared at Motohio in Columbus but my local dealer wanted $60. So about the same. Motohio sells Piaggio scooters but not Guzzi.

My 2015 Ducati 1200S Monster has a similar code issue. It must be a European thing.....

Thanks, Kiwi Dave! I just changed the oil on my 2016 Eldorado, and used that code to reset the indicator. I did this before the wrench icon appeared, about 200 miles shy of the service interval. I assume that it worked, as the code got me into the service menu. I also programmed some extra keys for the bike while I was in there. Any idea what the calibration menu item is for? I'm afraid to click on that one, might turn the bike into a very expensive paper weight.

I doubt if you have reset your indicator, especially since it wasn't present to reset. Expect to see it in a couple of hundred miles again, and this time you can actually reset it.

The calibration menu is for traction control, which relies on the relative rotation of each wheel for intervention. This would probably be necessary if you change the size of your tires, or some other drastic action. I got into there when looking for the elusive 24 hour clock option, which I now accept is probably a figment of my imagination.

Thanks again, Dave. That wrench should probably appear by the end of the week, if the weather cooperates. Hopefully, I won't have any reason to use the calibration function, but it's good to know what it's for.

Should you ever find a way to read error codes without a PADS tool, I would be extremely interested. My nearest dealer is about 2-3 hours away.

Thanks Dave and to everyone else on this forum. I just referred back to this thread to reset the service coupon (wrench) for the second time. I think I have it in memory now. What a great forum this is. All helpful information from a bunch of knowledgeable old pros. My Ca 1400 is my first Guzzi and seeing the level of integrity on this forum I am quite comfortable with the choice.

After reading thru this thread several times,and finally understanding it [ I've been in the repair business now for over 62 years of my life] ,and since I may shortly be an owner of a new 1400 Tourer,I have a question.My question is: since this calibration function button is used to clear this "WRENCH" which appears,can it also be used to identify other trouble codes???????? Thank you!! Dave!!!

My question is: since this calibration function button is used to clear this "WRENCH" which appears,can it also be used to identify other trouble codes???????? Thank you!! Dave!!!

No, the calibration function does not clear the wrench icon. It's function is to calibrate the computer so that it can determine the distance each tyre covers per revolution. This information is then used to inform the traction control and/or the ABS when one of the tyres (normally the rear) is slipping.

That's my understanding of it.

Beware that calibration is not as easy as it looks. I mistakenly entered it when looking for the elusive 24 hr clock display (I never found that) when I should have been watching the road. A pain to correct.

After reading the above threads,I thought the button was used to reset or shut off the wrench icon showing on the instrument cluster using the 34534 code.Or did I read it wrong???????????????And if that was the case,why couldn't it also be used [with another code] to read ECM codes.OR, are you saying that info to turn off the WRENCH ICON was incorrect??? I'm confused.I mean, if I do buy one of these machines,I do NOT wanna go into it blind.Follow me??? Please explain!! Thank you!! Dave!!!

Davetac1, if you're not a troll, which you appear to be acting like, then this machine is probably not for you. Get a bike with carburetors and points, stay away from the electronics.

Guzzi are not offering the means to read ECM codes on the dashboard, or if they are, it's news to me.

My appologies sir.But I think you misunderstood my question. I'm only trying to learn as much as I can about this machine BEFORE I take the plunge as this will probably be my last bike.However,I do appreciate your response and I thank you sir for your input!! Dave!!!

Wow! 62 years experience, looking to buy a two wheeler, and eager to learn the technology required to work on the bike. Congrats, Davetac! I'm impressed! I hope I can maintain my physical and mental condition to achieve that at what I roughly calculate your age to be.

As far as I know,(and I'm still a newbie at my Eldorado's workings, so don't consider me an expert) there is no way to use the speedometer readout to read trouble codes on this bike. It'd be a great idea for do-it-yourselfers, but manufacturers seem to want to make it difficult enough to keep their professional technicians busy.

There are ways to access trouble codes with software and adapter cables, using a laptop computer. Kiwi Dave was a big help with information on this. I've toyed with this on my bike, but thankfully, have not had to use it in regards to any actual problem. I'm approaching 12000 trouble free miles. Even some of the quirks of the fuel injection I've read about in these discussions do not concern me as anything to worry about. I was renting Harleys, Indians, and Victorys for several years before buying the Eldorado, and none of them seemed to be totally flawless, but fuel injection seems to be much better than carburetors. I kind of like having a less than perfectly smooth ride, gives the impression of a bit of brutality to the beast. Rough idle, no problem. Harley seems to even encourage that, as I am sure their market-share will plummet the day they make their engines smooth and refined.

If you do get the bike, feel free to message me for a walk-through on procedures like this. I'm sure it'll help me with my skills, as much as assissting you. I've been a professional auto mechanic for nearly 40 years, dabbled with working on my own bikes, and enjoy learning about the system on the Guzzi.

No.no!! I've been in the motor vehicle repair business for 62 years,but have only been mounted on two wheeler for the past 56 consecutive years and traveled close to,if not over,the million mile mark.So I'm kinda new to this motorcycling stuff.lol lol

But all I'm tryin to do here,is learn as much as possible about the Guzzi so I don't get burnt should I buy one.Unfortunately,some are taking me the wrong way and I don't mean to offend anyone,as I'm just asking questions,and as time has taught me,there's no such thing as a stupid question!! Dave!!!

Last edited:
Well gang,I have given up on the Guzzi and bought somethin else.So,no more questions from me.But I wanna thank you guys for putting up with me and my dumb questions.So carry on gentlemen as I bid you a due and thank you again.Dave!!!

It is and it works like this:
toggle to the "MENU" and press the toggle button (left thumb)
look for "SERVICE" and toggle there and press toggle button
TO ENTER THE CODE:
five dashes _ will come up on the screen
the FIRST dash will show a 1 and then a 2 when it gets to 3 press the toggle button
The display will switch to the SECOND dash_ and begin counting again
Press the toggle button as each successive dash_ scrolls through the number sequence
once 34534 is entered you have access to the SERVICE MENU
toggle to the RESET COUPON and press the toggle button
NO MORE WRENCH
Perfect, thank you!

Back