• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 OEM crash bar vibration issue

They are indeed back on! I have grabbed them a few times at various speeds, 30 - 70mph, and they do vibrate but nothing that seems alarming. The pressure of my grip on them quiets the vibration and I don't notice any vibration riding in general. When they welded the bracket it they made it a bit more robust.
I would look closely at those welds. From your picture, it appears there are holes in the frame tubing from the welding process. I also wonder how brittle those tubes are now that they have been heated that much. /sust something to keep an eye on.

Had the first service done today at my local dealers and the crash bars I ordered a few weeks ago were there. The dealer fitted them (which I had not asked them to do...and charged) and after 5 miles I rode the bike back. Spacers were correctly fitted to the top mounting bolts and all bolts were tight.
The 'normal' vibration at 4000 rpm was worse and there was a new patch of vibration at 4800rpm which had not been there before. We agreed that I would ride the bike home and remove the crash bars and see what happened - which is what I did. Except that the dealer had not given me back the original bolts which he had changed for longer ones when fitting the crash bars to the frame......nothing a couple of alloy spacers could not sort out temporarily. Anyway, once the crash bars were removed the vibration went away. So I will soon be making a return trip to the dealer to return my crash bars and collect my bolts!
AndyB

Last edited:
WOW, good thing I pointed this out, so I'm not the only one experiencing or noticing more vibrations from these OEM crash bars. Would not take long to cause cracking in the frame or other things on the bike to fail.

They just had a show on TV that talked about a device that can submit vibrations at a particular frequency harmonious to a frequency emitted from building materials that can take an entire skyscraper down. I guess if you can replicate the frequency that the molecules begin moving you can destroy anything.

I have the AF1 OEM bars on my 2013 V7 Special. It came with the spacers, torqued per instructions. Had them on for about 2000 miles and no problems.

I have the OEM crash bars on my '13 V7Stone and the bracket did indeed crack (see the 2 photos below). I never really experienced any extreme vibration. On longer highway rides (2 or more hours at 75+) my hands would go numb. Perhaps that was attributed to the crash bars? I rode with the crack for about 5 months (mostly waiting for the warranty claim to be accepted) and I want to believe that the numb hand sensation was gone on longer, faster rides but I can't remember for certain if the crack and vibration coincided. The bracket was replaced and re-welded (photo also below) to the frame and the crash bars are back on. I have been riding for about a month now with the newly welded bracket. Not very scientific but I hope the story helps!
bVHWjMG.jpg

7OMhkor.jpg

pVhAPt6.jpg
Add the spacers as mentioned in other posts, that seems to be key.

I've had the agostini one piece bars on my V7-II for a couple of weeks.
Due to this thread, I've been reaching down to check the vibration at various revs (left side only).
I've found that below 3.5k there is a solid vibration.
Above that the vibration smoothes out until at 4K & above it is a light buzz.

On the V7-II the top of the bars do not attatch directly to the frame like on earlier V7 models..
There is an adaptor kit that includes a solid steel plate.
This bolts on between the frame.
The crash bars then attach to this.

I can probably take a photo if anyone wants.

I also installed the Ago bar on my V7-II. I like it better than any of the other bars offered for this bike. Because of this thread, I do occasionally check for vibration and I also check that the bar and the adapter plate stay firmly bolted down. So far (5200 mi), so good. There is some vibration of the crash bar at various engine speeds. I actually think there was less vibration of the OEM bar on my '13 Stone, which I installed with the proper spacers. And that one never loosened up or cracked anything in 12,000 mi.

SIb,

You are already over 5,000 miles? WOW, you just got that thing! I've just gone over 15,000 on the 2013 and picked it up last June.

I too experienced increased vibrations @ 4100-4400rmp on my '14 v7 Special after installing the Agostini engine guards. I was able to decrease them substantially by installing rubber washers (maybe 1/8"-3/16 thick) between the bar and where they attach beneath the headstock. I tightened the mounting bolts just until the rubber started to deform. Since the nuts are NyLock I'm fairly sure they'll stay put, but I'll be checking them periodically.
No changes/additions to the lower mounting points.

Cheers,
Sean

I've got trust issues with this crash bar. Sort of like letting your GF spend the night with the football team wearing a string bikini.

It turn the whole bike into a gigantic tuning fork. That can't be good.

It felt kin to one of those vibrating beds in a cheap motel with a bottle of Boones farm.

Hi there, I got my V7 II Stone a couple of week ago (and loving it). I just got the MGcycle engine guard (the one that wraps around the cylinder: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4686). I am having a problem installing it, more specifically I cannot fit the metal plate that goes in the middle. Has anyone bought and successfully installed this guard?

If so, can you please let me know if there is a "trick" to getting this job done?

Thanks.

No problems with the OEM guard on my 13 V7 Special.
Spacers are installed.
Easy fit no additional vibration

I found better installation instructions from their web site (the ones that came with the guards were useless). Also, it came with the wrong bolts and no spacers. I am attaching the instructions from their web site as they are 10x better than the ones enclosed with guards. Have not had time to go to fastenal yet to get the required bolts and spacers.

Attachments

• engine guard instructions.pdf
    800.5 KB · Views: 59
Anyone every figure out what is causing the initial vibration issue? It seems like some people never have the issue to begin with and others do, I want to put my bar back on but not if its going to crack my frame or do who knows what else.

Purchased and installed OEM crash bar from AF1 since they had them on sale cheap.

Got the thing installed and noticed a weird vibration into my handle bars and foot pegs at various RPM's. It was really bad at 70 mph and then went away about 75 mph. Lower RPM's it feels as if I have more vibration then usual. Removed the bars with concerns this vibration could crack the frame or something else on the bike.

Is this just me and my bike or anybody else notice this with the OEM crash bars?

Other thing I noticed they do not appear to protect the new larger head all that good, could have been why they sell them for like $69.00 bucks. I almost knew the price was too good to be true. So they now hang on the wall like a prized set of deer antlers along with all the other stupid-purchased items for motorcycles through the years.

Wonder if I can do anything to contain this vibration or eliminate it.

Those jugs being un-protected not a good thing.

I had the same bars from AF1. Installed per the spec 8ft lbs of torque. had them for a year and I have not had any issues.

Anyone every figure out what is causing the initial vibration issue? It seems like some people never have the issue to begin with and others do, I want to put my bar back on but not if its going to crack my frame or do who knows what else.

Go ahead & put the bar back on & try it.
All machines are funny from chain saws to airplanes. Two machines come off the assembly line one works fine the other has the plague.
In the world of motorcycles & especially Guzzi & Victory the first 20,000 miles of ownership is a lot like raising a child.
Stuff changes.
The great thing about these two machines is they become more dependable & fun the older they get.
So put the bars on, ride the bike, if it still has bad vibes take them off & put a few thousand miles on & try it again.

Any consensus/recommendation on this issue? I would like to purchase some form of crash protection (for v3), but not crazy about the idea of vibration/possible frame damage. Between OEM and Agostini, which do you think is better in this regard? From what I can tell from the tiny photos, it looks like the Agostini are maybe a little more robust with the extra top connection plate and bottom tube? From an aesthetic perspective they look about the same? — OEM might be a little cleaner looking. Don’t really like any of the other aftermarket guards. Also open to the Sato frame slider/valve cover guard route.

Having laid down my v11 sport a couple times with just the small valve cover guard plates for protection — and other than replacing the guard plate, mirrors, etc, no real engine/frame damage — so even moderate protection I would feel pretty comfortable with.

Also, just curious, do the raised plastic spark plug covers on the v3 offer any drop protection at all?

Last edited:
After reading this series of posts, I ordered and installed the OEM crash bars on a 2014 V7 Stone. They vibrated at some rpms - not as badly as reported by Elkrichard but enough to be quite noticeable. Then I added 2 mm thick rubber washers on both sides of the upper crash bar. In order to allow the bar to "work" a bit against the rubber washers, I didn't torque the upper mounting bolts very tightly, trusting loc tight to hold them in place. I also put dabs of red paint on the bolts so it would be immediately apparent if the bolts started to loosen.

The result was about a 2/3 reduction in crash bar vibration.

I hope someone else can benefit from my experience.

Pictures of the upper mounting bolt, rubber washers, metal washer and spacer as well as the crash bar as installed are attached. P8230013 P8230015

Back