• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is the V7II clutch heavy?

Mr Pootle

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Or is it just me?

I'm doing a lot more riding than I ever did on my last couple of bikes, most of it either urban or on winding rides that need frequent gear changes, and I'm finding that after a couple of hours my left hand and wrist are aching badly. Could it be that I'm just not used to it? My old bikes had four speed boxes, so as well as not riding for so long I never needed to change as much.

I've fairly small hands, so I'm always at a stretch. Could this be part of the problem?

Would a change of clutch lever help?

No not just you, me too after a spell in heavy traffic. I find myself holding the same gear unless I really have to change. Also as I come to a stop at traffic lights I put it in neutral and let go the clutch and relax my hand. Sometimes we change gear by habit when we don't need to if we look a bit further in front and can see that instead of changing up only to change back down in a hundred yards leave it in the same gear, I suppose it saves wear on the bike too. Steve.

Does the clutch have any play? I found once I adjusted the angle of the clutch and eventually replaced it with a new one with no play, it was night and light.

Or a Ducati from the '90s with the stock hydraulic clutch...that was a man's clutch. I find my v7ii clutch low effort, really. I guess it depends on the individual

Don't forget that these Guzzi's don't mind but in fact like higher RPM's.
It's okay to hold a lower gear & let the engine sing a bit.
Don't have a V7 so can't say what R's they like but my Mille is fine at 4000 rpm. My Vic likes 3000 rpm.
So when in town or on the rare occasion I'm with "slower" riders I don't think about what gear I'm in I just keep the vibes at the good spot.

But you guys ride for hours along straight empty roads. You only need to change gear when setting off and ending your ride.

What makes you think that? I mean, sure sometimes I ride that way (on my V7 too). Depends on how far and where I'm going.

Most of the time I'm riding backroads on any of my bikes, just as likely on the Sporty as on the V7.

And traffic... jeez, I'm on the east coast... trust me if I try to go anywhere there's a decent chance I'm hitting traffic at some point in the trip.

But you guys ride for hours along straight empty roads. You only need to change gear when setting off and ending your ride.
Actually Harley guys love riding in those moving parking lots. Ever ride at Daytona during Bike Week? Or Rolling Thunder (which the name wrongly implies moving)? Harley guys probably use the clutch more than most riders.
If you don't already have one, an adjustable clutch lever can help greatly by putting the clutch lever at the right position for your hand. Proper adjusting, and making sure the clutch cable is routed away from the hot engine with no unnecessary kinks also helps.
Lastly, building strength in the hand should be the final part of the equation.

Ha ha, you guys are funny... ride a Harley from the mid-90s or earlier... hell, ride a late-model one...
No thanks. I'm nearer to 70 than 60 and they would be too heavy for me. Having problems with problems gripping with my left hand just now. But if it gets worse and I end up with something like a 125 auto scooter at least Ill still be out there on 2 wheels. Steve.

Or is it just me?

I'm doing a lot more riding than I ever did on my last couple of bikes, most of it either urban or on winding rides that need frequent gear changes, and I'm finding that after a couple of hours my left hand and wrist are aching badly. Could it be that I'm just not used to it? My old bikes had four speed boxes, so as well as not riding for so long I never needed to change as much.

I've fairly small hands, so I'm always at a stretch. Could this be part of the problem?

Would a change of clutch lever help?

I too have small hands. Always had issues with heavy clutch and brake pull on all the bike I've had. always added aftermarket adjustable clutch an brake levers. Problem solved.

Gerry

For the record, I've notice a considerable difference between the V7 and V7ii. The V7ii is super light.

No thanks. I'm nearer to 70 than 60 and they would be too heavy for me. Having problems with problems gripping with my left hand just now. But if it gets worse and I end up with something like a 125 auto scooter at least Ill still be out there on 2 wheels. Steve.
You're just a kid. And we're both of us too old to be pumping iron. But if we get some nice weather in the next couple of weeks do you fancy a ride up to Squires one morning so we can compare notes?
Over the summer I'd get an aching wrist after a couple of hours on the bike, but the sore bum would be more noticeable, and the wrist would ease off once I stopped riding. It may be because I've not ridden for a couple of weeks, but I did 70 miles on Monday, and the wrist is still sore. I'm going to check out how the cable is routed and look at adjustable clutch levers.

I too have small hands. Always had issues with heavy clutch and brake pull on all the bike I've had. always added aftermarket adjustable clutch an brake levers. Problem solved.

Gerry
What make did you buy? I've heard good things about Pazzo, but don't know what else is on the market and will first the V7.

You're just a kid. And we're both of us too old to be pumping iron. But if we get some nice weather in the next couple of weeks do you fancy a ride up to Squires one morning so we can compare notes?
Over the summer I'd get an aching wrist after a couple of hours on the bike, but the sore bum would be more noticeable, and the wrist would ease off once I stopped riding. It may be because I've not ridden for a couple of weeks, but I did 70 miles on Monday, and the wrist is still sore. I'm going to check out how the cable is routed and look at adjustable clutch levers.
Yes Squires would be good for me, not too worried about the weather but the V7 does not go out in wet salt, I have a winter bike for that. Taking caravan to Filey for a few days tomorrow so any time after next Wednesday. Steve. PS anyone else care to come along?

Yes Squires would be good for me, not too worried about the weather but the V7 does not go out in wet salt, I have a winter bike for that. Taking caravan to Filey for a few days tomorrow so any time after next Wednesday. Steve. PS anyone else care to come along?
Mr Pootle I should be at Squires about 4pm today wed if you fancy a ride, all welcome . If not about 11am Thursday Steve.

Mr Pootle I should be at Squires about 4pm today wed if you fancy a ride, all welcome . If not about 11am Thursday Steve.
I'll be going over about 7.00 this evening to meet some friends. 11.00 tomorrow sounds good, provided it's not wet. See you then.

I've just fitted Lextech adjustable levers to my V7II. They cost less than a third of the price of Pazzos, but seem well made and comfortable.
I've only done about 30 miles with them on, not far enough to tell whether they'll ease the aching in my clutch hand. I'll report back come the spring, when I do some distance riding.

I'm with you on this thread. I thought it was just me. Yes they are defo heavier that most but I take on board comments about keeping the lower gears and letting the engine sing, especially in traffic. Thanks for that tip !

Not sure if there is a fix though but adjustable levers sound like a decent idea and pretty inexpensive to try out.

Mr Pootle, do you have the type numbers for the Lextek evers. There are about 30 of clutch and brake levers. I would like to try adjustable levers for my V7 II. The profile pic shows me on my previous bike, BREVA 1100. The only reason I sold it was because of the seat height and the weight.
Your reply would be most welcome. :):envy:

Back