• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final drive leak thread

Does your V7 Final Drive leak? Select all that apply, and be sure to include model year below.

• Total voters
Stripped hole(s) as canuck1969 said gets my vote. Either a new case, or helicoils are needed. The shop that stripped the case should have made it right, but it sounds like you aren't getting any satisfaction from them. If a bolt can't be tightened, it should not be let out of the shop.

That would suck. Out of warranty now but talking to a local shop about contacting MG to see if they can remedy this.

The thing is, the first leak started from around 700 miles, before that shop ever did anything to it. So it's possible that it's something else since a leak was there before they ever got into it. Unless they fixed the original leak but then fucked something else up on the subsequent tries. Who knows. Currently I have the front tire and forks off because I just installed a matris kit, so I'm a bit inclined to open it up myself.

Are you certain your level is correct? Not overfilling? I believe that caused my second leak after having seals replaced under warranty. Been good since. Good luck and hope you get it done for good.

Both my T'T's suffered with leaky bevel boxes ( same basic unit as all small blocks) even after new large seals has been fitted. The seals were pressed too far into the housing, they need to sit flush with the outer lip of the casing.

On the grey TT simply moving the seal out solved the problem

My dealer cannot seem to fix this problem of my final drive leaking at that seal in the rear wheel. What the hell? Does anyone have any info about other people having this problem and what solved it? I thought I read that the main seal and the bearings and everything had to be replaced to finally fix the problem. I need to tell the dealer that they should do this because I'm tired of having this thing leak. Thank you.

I've had this problem with the seal leaking in the past. I pulled the final drive, got it apart and inspected it. There are 2 paper-thin gaskets on the inside of the final drive that fail (seemingly all the time).

I decided to go a different route and make a new gasket out of permatex gasket making gooo (dark grey color) and haven't had an issue since! OEM gasket failed around 5k miles, now up to 12k and not a single leak. Just be careful when taking your final drive apart as you need to use a brass hammer to separate the two halves of the drive to get to the seal, and use the goop sparingly so that when it is compressed back together you aren't pushing the compound into the drive where your gears are, I would also let the bike sit for at least 24 hr to let the goop set up. Also- since you have the final drive off you might as well inspect your splines and grease em up!

Last edited:
Just for grins, check with the attorney general's office in your state to see if you have any specific rights. You may be able to get them to cough up a new assembly or more. Sometimes state laws can be favorable for the consumer. Years ago I had a very good car dealer in Vermont recommend I use the lemon law as the manufacturer would have had to pay for replacement of the vehicle. They had repeatedly tried to fix the car and it kept failing. They did not treat me poorly and were on my side in what they thought actually was a lemon. As luck would have it, they did find the flaw and repair it so we ended up happy.

So I discovered some wet marks on the tire and rim. Figured it was water as it has been kind of wet here the past couple of days. Sure enough, same signs this morning. Decided to look around and I have the same leak. With the throttle issues I had in the beginning and now this...my patience is beginning to wear thin. I love this bike...but I cannot deal with issues every couple of months as I bought this dang thing new in October!

Hoping it's an easy fix....

Last edited:
Just placed a call to customer service at the Piaggio Group. I'm sure this is standard protocol, but they are going to look into the complete history of the repairs on my bike and get back to me. I am by no means am I blaming the dealership as George has gone above and beyond the call of duty to fix the past issues. From what I've read, this seems to be quality control neglect and I believe the manufacturer should be well aware of the issues I've run into since purchasing my bike in October 2015.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... again.. but I'm now running into this very same leak problem.

It only started happening after my first final drive oil change. small drips and flinging around the lip of the wheel/tire's sidewall. The drain plug isn't leaking, neither is the fill plug or breather bolt.

Going to inspect it more right now and will update what I find for my specific case. (as it very well may be different from the original poster and other members)

cheers,

- Marc

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... again.. but I'm now running into this very same leak problem.

It only started happening after my first final drive oil change. small drips and flinging around the lip of the wheel/tire's sidewall. The drain plug isn't leaking, neither is the fill plug or breather bolt.

Going to inspect it more right now and will update what I find for my specific case. (as it very well may be different from the original poster and other members)

cheers,

- Marc

I had the same issue and initially thought the same thing, thought it was a seal. At first it didn't appear like the drain plug but after letting it sit for a day or two I realized the oil was building up and dripping from the plug. Turns out I over tightened the bolt and a few of the threads broke. Mine also started occurring right after I changed the oil on my final drive.

I had the same issue and initially thought the same thing, thought it was a seal. At first it didn't appear like the drain plug but after letting it sit for a day or two I realized the oil was building up and dripping from the plug. Turns out I over tightened the bolt and a few of the threads broke. Mine also started occurring right after I changed the oil on my final drive.

Lucky for you that was an easy fix!

I cleaned everything and removed the breather to clear it with compressed air. Went for a quick ride down the street and back, so far doesn't appear to be leaking. I'll let it sit overnight in my shop and will ride it again tomorrow.

I've been following this thread for a while because when I first picked my bike up last year I was also having this issue. But now it's totally fine and doesn't leak anymore. I've checked all the levels and they're fine, it just all of a sudden stopped.

I'm thinking that the final drive was over-filled at the dealership and because it didn't sell for a few years nobody picked up on the issue until I bought it and started smashing k's on it.

Just over 10,000km now and I think it stopped leaking at about 9000km...

Funny. Dealer up here reported the same thing - sometimes they stop on their own. He did mention that he uses Permatex approach when fixing them, and that usually solves the problem.

Annnnnd it's still leaking.... I'm wondering if I've over filled the final drive causing the seals to weep fluid.

One thing I just thought of, is that I did not replace the crush washer from the drain plug. Though the drain plug doesn't appear to have any leaks, I wonder if I should find a crush washer regardless. I'm really trying to avoid taking apart the rear end and replace seals. It's riding season here in AZ and I don't want the bike to be down, even for a day. HAHA

Annnnnd it's still leaking.... I'm wondering if I've over filled the final drive causing the seals to weep fluid.

One thing I just thought of, is that I did not replace the crush washer from the drain plug. Though the drain plug doesn't appear to have any leaks, I wonder if I should find a crush washer regardless. I'm really trying to avoid taking apart the rear end and replace seals. It's riding season here in AZ and I don't want the bike to be down, even for a day. HAHA
hmm I always thought that crush washers were a one time use only kind of deal...and for what they're worth you might as well use a fresh one every time =)

So I went to the dealership (Ridenow Euro and Powersports) to order the seal and gaskets. Turns out I still have a year left on my warranty so I brought them my Guzzi for the warranty work. About a month later ( yes it took that long just to get the parts) the seal was replaced and no longer leaks! woot woot!

If it happens again they already said their manager would give the go ahead to replace the rear assembly.

you should have just gotten the seal # and gone down to the local bearing house while the mechanic was on lunch. $25. and you would have been riding an hour later and the dealer could have kept the new seal for next time.

Back