• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

Yes, it is the costum with a 6 inch rear wheel.
The Original 200 dunlops where completely used after 6000 km.
You can see on the picture, the wheel is damaged; caused during a tire-change on a trip in Norway.
Thats the reason, i wanted a tire that last longer.
Grtz Rudy

One last question. How much of a difference did it make in the speedometer accuracy? Thanks again...

Jim

Like aready told in this tread:
'The circumference of a 200/60 and a 180/65 is almost identical.'
130 km/h on te gps is 136 on the speedometer,( i think )
Grtz Rudy

I needed to order a new rear tire since it is worn flat in the center past the wear bars. I found some good prices at DENNIS KIRK. My AVON AV72 200/VR16 will arrive in a few days costing me about $163.00.

I needed to order a new rear tire since it is worn flat in the center past the wear bars. I found some good prices at DENNIS KIRK. My AVON AV72 200/VR16 will arrive in a few days costing me about $163.00.

I would have never thought to buy tires on Amazon but have found the best prices with no shipping there.
Might want to check it out & compare for the next time.

I've been riding on these tires:

130/70ZR-18 (63W) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Front)
200/60R-16 (79V) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Rear)

The ride is very predictable, little wondering when going over uneven grooves, and seem above average for wet road conditions (caught a few rain showers since I got them August 2015)

Tread has been holding up really well - I've got about 6,000 miles logged on them and they still show good tread.

Bought them from www.rockymountainatvmc.com:

Front - $97.98
Rear - $148.88

Prices are as of this post.

I've been riding on these tires:

130/70ZR-18 (63W) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Front)
200/60R-16 (79V) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Rear)

The ride is very predictable, little wondering when going over uneven grooves, and seem above average for wet road conditions (caught a few rain showers since I got them August 2015)

Tread has been holding up really well - I've got about 6,000 miles logged on them and they still show good tread.

Bought them from www.rockymountainatvmc.com:

Front - $97.98
Rear - $148.88

Prices are as of this post.

I ended up with the same tires. The stock Dunlops went 9000 rear and 13000 front. They were pretty worn but serviceable. Finding a rear on the road was a chore I ended up going to Brookside in Tulsa (I was on the road anyway) and they had to order it. They were a great bunch I'd recommend stopping by it you get the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 9000 on the rear, that's gotta be a record. 5500 and mine was shot but I weigh 250 ish and ride 2 up a lot. And I will agree with you on Brookside, seems like good guys.

Just put Avon Cobras on to replace the D251s. Went with the 180/65-16 on the back and it looks like it fits fine. The ride is a lot smoother and the handling and turn-in are a lot more confidence-inspiring. The D251s vibrated and always seemed like they wanted to wander. I'll post about longevity when I know.

About a thousand miles into a set of Avon Cobras here too. Obvious difference in handling (for the better of course)...

I think you all that have the AVONS installed will be as happy with the mileage you can get out of them as you are with the smooth ride. I changed out the rear AVON on my California at 11,500 miles. The front is still in place and I expect to be able to run it up to 15,000 miles.

Another vote for the Avon Cobra's. The OEM Dunlops didn't handle well and the rear was toast at 4,000. I now have 9,000 on the Avon replacement and it still has plenty of tread.

Another vote for the Avon Cobra's. The OEM Dunlops didn't handle well and the rear was toast at 4,000. I now have 9,000 on the Avon replacement and it still has plenty of tread.
I like the ride and handling of the Avons on my Custom - just hoping to get better mileage than the OEM Dunlops. Glad to see the high mileage experiences in this thread....

If you get twice the miles on Avons over the Dunlops is that because the Avons are a harder tyre thus have less grip than the Dunlops?

If you get twice the miles on Avons over the Dunlops is that because the Avons are a harder tyre thus have less grip than the Dunlops?

The grip on my Avons seems much better than the Dunlops. I thought I had a problem with the bike because it was very unstable in corners. Now it is solid and smooth. They're new, of course. We'll see how they age but I expect good things based on other people's comments.

Since I'm fairly new here,and do NOT own a Guzzi "YET",please forgive me if I'm over stepping my bounds.But after reading thru this thread,and since I'm kinda new to this motorcycling stuff,[I've only been mounted on two wheels for the past 54 consecutive years,totaling pretty close to,if not over,a million miles] I've gone thru a few tires [I do my own work] and the current machine I'm riding goes thru tires like Grant took Richmond,[24 tires so far,front and rear, over the last 6 1/2 years and 111,000 miles,which is NOT VERY GOOD,yet quite expensive!!!] So I've pretty much tried all of em looking for the best bang for my buck and to date,the tire that lasted the longest on the front of my current machine [Triumphs' Tbird,which is close to 100 lbs. heavier then the California] was Avons' AV71,totaling close to the 20,000 mile mark running 36 psi in it.I also ran Avons' AV72 on the back,but only got 11,000 miles out of it also running 36 psi in it.In other words,the AV71 and AV72 might be worth considering as a possible replacement,which is just a suggestion!!! I applogise for the interruption,so please carry on gentlemen!! Dave!!

Last edited:
In other words,the AV71 and AV72 might be worth considering as a possible replacement,which is just a suggestion!!! I appolgise for the interruption,so please carry on gentlemen!! Dave!!

Dave,

Agreed. I have liked the Avon Venom tires on past bikes and am now using the Avon Cobras (since the Venoms are no longer sold) on my California 1400. The OEM Dunlop D251 tires lasted all of 4500 miles. I have run through one rear Avon tire and got 11,500 miles out of it. I would have gotten more but the center was flattened due to a lot of riding in the western U.S. The front Avon is still in place and I expect to be able to run it at least another 3000 miles before changing.

Back