• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 vs 2016 Guzzi V7

2012 Racer or 2016 Stone

• Total voters

RandomGRK

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all, if you had the choice, would you go with

A) a brand new 2016 V7 ll Stone for $6800 stock
or
B) a 2012 V7 Racer (black tank), 5k miles on the clock for $5000. Mistral exhaust, fender eliminator and I think the wheels from spoked to rims. Seems in perfect condition.

In my previous country I owned a 2013 V7 Racer which I regret selling.
The only thing I think I would really miss on the newer is ABS but not too sure about anything else.
Is there a noticeable power difference between the two?

I'm assuming this is US?

FOR ME, it's no contest, the V7II Stone with the single throttle body and the ethos I prefer is a no brainer.

But if you prefer the racer ethos and suspension and don't mind the dual throttle body motor (another deal killer for me) then there's no better example than the 2012 with the black metal 5.8g tank.

Thanks Kev.

I don't really know what the difference between the single and dual throttle bodies is. For me, the casual rider who's maintenance skills are infant level (basically oil changes), does it matter?

Between the 2012 and 2016, when it comes to actual performance, is there a significant and noticeable difference?

About 3 or so years ago my little bro and I rode each his 2TB V7C back-to-back with my 1TB V7 Stone.

We wrote it up on WildGuzzi complete with pics.

The differences are small in the big picture of all the different motorcycles available today, but bigger than one might have expected.

The 2TB model V7C feels less powerful, and needed to rev a bit more. We were comfortable at maybe 400 rpm lower give or take on the 1TB Stone then the V7C. A small difference but enough to make us notice and make the Stone feel more relaxed.

It was enough for Jay to actually sell his V7C and replace it with a 1TB Racer.

Ironically a few years later he's got about 30 bikes including both that V7 Racer and a one year newer V7 Special (both 1TB models obviously).

Other differences are minor. Some are cosmetic (different cylinder and valve cover shapes).

In theory the 2TB models will need throttle body synchronization occasionally. And there's a difference in the cold start actuation. Not to mention there's a partial RBW system on the 1TB models, the ECM/throttle body seems to have some control over the throttle plate despite the cable connections.

None of this means much to the casual owner, unless they feel the lower rpm and slightly more power of the 1TB is significant.

Oh yeah, one more thing. The 2TB models tended to use more oil, sometimes a lot and unexpectedly. Differences in the breather system seemed to have solved the on the 1TB.

PERSONALLY I'd not own anything but the 1TB models, but I'm really fussy.

good choice.

Even though you already picked it up. I thought I'd go over a few things that weren't brought up.

One being the motor position in the frame. They v7II is lower and canted forward a few degrees more than the previous v7's allowing for a little more leg room for your knees and also gaining a lower center of gravity and easier handling.

Second, you gain an extra gear. 6th gear.

Awesome Random!

Moto-Max, good points and not bad changes at all from what I hear.

Thanks Kev.

I don't really know what the difference between the single and dual throttle bodies is. For me, the casual rider who's maintenance skills are infant level (basically oil changes), does it matter?[/QUOTE
You can do your own oil changes? You're ahead of me there. I can fill the fuel tank and check the tyre pressure, but that's as far as it goes.

Back