• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Traction Control Question

groundhog105

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Today when riding aggressively chasing other sport bikes up the hill to Idlewild, California I noticed the traction control light flashing while cornering fairly hard. It did this most of the way up the hill while cornering. No flashing while going straight. Never had this happen before while on the same ride. I didn't notice any rear wheel slippage. Anyone else experience this before? I will look in the manual to see how to check the TC settings. I have never changed it.

Today when riding aggressively chasing other sport bikes up the hill to Idlewild, California I noticed the traction control light flashing while cornering fairly hard. It did this most of the way up the hill while cornering. No flashing while going straight. Never had this happen before while on the same ride. I didn't notice any rear wheel slippage. Anyone else experience this before? I will look in the manual to see how to check the TC settings. I have never changed it.

If the road is rough and the bike is under hard acceleration, the light will flash occasionally. Mine does this on the MGTC 1 setting when accelerating or cornering over rough pavement or over a noticeable bump in the road. That said all the way up the hill, I would suspect there may be an issue with the rebound settings on the shocks. The shock compresses but does not "push" the tire back to to pavement in time to prevent the tire from rotating while in the air, or spinning on the pavement, thus triggering the TC light.

Love that ride. Sounds like you may have bumped to MGC-2 from 1, that or the road surface was very cold, and as stated above, traction control was working full time. It is a 1.4L twin after all. ;)

I have ridden that section of road before just as aggressively without the light flashing. It's a fairly smooth road with banked corners. I will check my TC settings to make sure it's not on 1. What's puzzling is that when it's flashing I'm not really hard on the gas.

I have ridden that section of road before just as aggressively without the light flashing. It's a fairly smooth road with banked corners. I will check my TC settings to make sure it's not on 1. What's puzzling is that when it's flashing I'm not really hard on the gas.
You want it on '1' not '2'. You haven't recently changed the rear tire have you? If yes, stock size or no?

No I haven't changed the tires. Running Avon cobras stock size although the rear is at the end of its life. The sides are pretty well worn down. TC 1 ok.

I haven't put on new tires yet. I've been running these tires for 7K miles without this issue.

I haven't put on new tires yet. I've been running these tires for 7K miles without this issue.
OK, all I'm trying to say is if you didn't do the Tire Calibration when you put the Avon on, it is likely the reason for your TC light.

Recalibration is a pain in the butt. Travelling at a constant speed of 18.64 +/- 1.24 mph isn't that easy to achieve. You'll probably take several attempts to get it to accept the recalibration.

Yes, the tire is at the end of its life especially on the sides. I suspect that I was riding at the traction limit on the edges of the tire. I just got new tires to install, the same Avons I'm running now.

Hey, I finally saw the TC light on while I was riding. I was a little concerned that may be a problem with ECU because it stayed on. Thought I may wired up something incorrectly when I helped my son install Todds fueling system upgrades (more about on the appropriate forum soon, all good).

Turns out that if you take the battery out to replace the air filter MG forgets the MGCT settings and turns that little light on.

AND resets the riding mode to Tourismo.

Thanks to the forums, and the owners manual I was able set everything back to my version of normal, Veloce and TC-1.

Checked the setting and somehow had changed the TC setting to 2. Changed it back to 1. Probably did it when I thought I was using the turn signal.

Back