• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Opinions

I've ordered the Matris shocks and fork cartridges from Todd. I'll report on them when they're on. It looks like Todd is doing to the V9 what he is so experienced at. . . rounding off the rough edges of Guzzi's. Having put some more time on my V9, I certainly can't say that it's a great, or even above average motorcycle from a performance standpoint. Moreover, in stock form, it's bristling with pesky annoyances that experienced riders will be loathe to tolerate, and inexperienced riders might only because they don't know better. But it's easily one of the most characterful bikes I've ridden. Its charm is beyond anything else you can buy off a production line in 2017, including, I might argue, the V7. It reminds me of my erstwhile Griso not so much in its performance but in i's ability to draw you in and make you want to adapt to it.

Annoyances include:
-- subpar suspension that is easily upset
-- seat that defies comfort
-- ergos force to you work around piston heads
-- slight abrubtness to throttle
-- feet easily get caught under the pipes when shuffling about
-- driveline lash (a guzzi thing -- my Griso did it too)
-- have to refill more often than a V7
-- handling is idiosyncratic (though quite good for urban use)
-- low ground clearance an issue if you push it

For me, none of these is a dea lbreaker. I'd buy the V9 over again in a heartbeat. The V9 is fun and inspiring in spite of all that. But of course I've only had it a couple weeks. It takes a few months at least to know how you really feel about a bike.

Thanks for the list, Adan. I'm trying to decide between the V9 bobber, Triumph T120, and Sportster Roadster. Put about 30 miles on the Harley today on a demo ride and was impressed. I need to get on the V9 ASAP. Can't ride a spec sheet.

I haven't ridden either of the other bikes on your list, but I've always been a "road less taken" kind of guy, so for that reason alone I like Guzzi over Triumph or HD. The Triumph seems to be a modern bike in retro clothing, so to my mind it's quite a different thing. The Sportser is a closer comparison.

I haven't ridden either of the other bikes on your list, but I've always been a "road less taken" kind of guy, so for that reason alone I like Guzzi over Triumph or HD. The Triumph seems to be a modern bike in retro clothing, so to my mind it's quite a different thing. The Sportser is a closer comparison.

Actually, as far as Harleys go, the 1200R IS the road less traveled.

that's the truth! The dealer couldn't believe that I wanted to demo the sportster when bigger bikes were available. While I think the new xl1200cx is over styled, it's a great bike. Great suspension and brakes and the seat is actually incredibly comfortable. The low-looking bars are not low at all.

Sorry, but a 1200 vs 850 isn't a fair comparison in the end when it comes down HD crudeness vs Guzzi finesse-ry. More 883 vs 850, and that's a no-brainer in my book. The XR1200 vs Griso 1200 has been printed I believe.
I've owned several Harleys and raced Buells in the 90's, and have ridden countless others along with S&S powered machines over the years as a contributing journalist with Cycle World Mag, including Confederates and Keanu Reeve's Arch Moto (that I am good friends now with that Team.) The head designer at Arch owns and rides a Griso as his primary transport.
Harley regurgitations (and I don't dislike HD mind you) vs Guzzi's cuisine is an easy choice for me. About the only alternative I've ridden in this category is the Indian Scout 60, that is if you don't mind feet forward riding. Some may know I do a lot of work with/for Polaris Indian (and formerly Victory), and they are hard on the throttle right now.

Can't speak to the new Bonneville, but I put about 10,000 miles on this T100:

It was a nice, reliable bike but a bit too 'Hondaesque' (boring) for me so now someone else owns it. I think Triumph is still building to a price point so any new Bonneville will need different shocks. Had Ohlins on mine and they did wonders.

I traded a 2 year old Sportster for this guy last spring:

I was worried about the seat and the bars, but oddly enough the riding position really works for me. I've done a 500 mile day on it and could still walk afterwards :) . The suspension on the Roadster is very good. Rear shocks are nearly as good as the Olhins I had on my Triumph. Cornering clearance is better than most other Harleys but still marginal. Sportsters are interesting creatures. The engine layout has not really changed since 1958, so it's not a 'retro' version of an older bike, it is an evolution of that older bike. Makes me smile every time I ride it.

Traded a couple of other Guzzis for this in January:

Still breaking it in so my opinion on the performance is evolving. It's better in every way than the 2015 v7 I traded for it. Riding position is somewhat similar to my 1400 Cali Custom, which is about perfect for me. Seat could be better but it's tolerable. Handling is very similar to the afore-mentioned Bonneville. It's not a canyon carver, but you really do have to lean into it to drag anything (much better cornering clearance than the Harley). A lot of people dis the 'small tank' but, it's just a pint shy of 4 gallons. Given the mileage I'm seeing from this beast I can go 180 miles before I have to start pushing. That's a greater range than my tired old butt or bladder have. Performance wise it's hands down better than the V7. I 'think' once it's broken in the performance will be about the same as the Harley Roadster. In comparison the V9 makes up for its power and torque deficits by being at least 100 lb lighter, plus like every Guzzi I've ever owned it loves to rev. Finally the pictures don't do these bikes justice. Fit & finish is superb. Wasn't excited about the yellow, but it looks really good in person. Does it have some foibles? Hell yes. But it's Italian. What do you expect?

Sorry, but a 1200 vs 850 isn't a fair comparison.

I don't think there's any need for a "fair comparison" people are just talking about alternatives and why one might choose one or the other.

The price point and size of the bikes sorta put them in at least relatable categories.

I could probably come up with a dozen or more reasons to chose either over the other.

I 'think' once it's broken in the performance will be about the same as the Harley Roadster. In comparison the V9 makes up for its power and torque deficits by being at least 100 lb lighter, plus like every Guzzi I've ever owned it loves to rev. Finally the pictures don't do these bikes justice. Fit & finish is superb. Wasn't excited about the yellow, but it looks really good in person. Does it have some foibles? Hell yes. But it's Italian. What do you expect?

Some of that sounds a little surprising to me, but definitely a good report on the V9.

If specs are right the difference is probably almost exactly 100#.

On the power front looks like early dyno reports would claim:'

1200CX - 69 rwhp and 567# wet or 8.22#/hp
V7 Roamer - 51 rwhp and ~463# wet or 9.08#/hp

Ironically that hp/weight ratio for the Roamer would mean exactly the same as my old Guzzi Jackal.

No bad.

Mike- thanks for the direct comparison as the roadster and the V9 are my top 2. Also my last bike was nearly identical to your previous T100 though mine was a carbed 790 cc. My feelings were the same, it just was a little too boring and that's not related to any deficit of power. Between the V9 and Roadster, how to vibes at 55 mph compare? Which one is the pick when you just want to take it easy? You are right, the V9 looks great in person.

Mike- thanks for the direct comparison as the roadster and the V9 are my top 2. Also my last bike was nearly identical to your previous T100 though mine was a carbed 790 cc. My feelings were the same, it just was a little too boring and that's not related to any deficit of power. Between the V9 and Roadster, how to vibes at 55 mph compare? Which one is the pick when you just want to take it easy? You are right, the V9 looks great in person.

Yep. The Bonneville's power was adequate and not the issue.

I have no vibration issues with either at 55 mph. Actually, no vibration issues with either at most sane speeds (below 80 mph). Top gear for both bikes should be treated as overdrive - best suited for speeds over 65 mph.

V9 is a better around town bike due specifically to the riding position and 100 lb less weight.

Well, I just put about 30 miles on a V9 Bobber at Sloans in Murfreesboro Tn. In the last week I have test ridden an xl1200cx, a T100, a Triumph Scrambler 900, and the V9B. Before riding the V9 my favorite was the Scrambler. However, I am signing papers on the V9! Less cramped than the Bonneville, slightly shorter than the Scrambler, more character than either. Much lighter than the Harley.

IMG 0358 IMG 0359

Before riding the V9 my favorite was the Scrambler. However, I am signing papers on the V9!
Well congrats! Ask them to show you the PDI sheet when you pick it up, and insist on having them show you the clutch slack at the arm on the transmission. If there is zero slack, have them put some in and adjust the lever at the bar before you ride away. Welcome to the addiction, be forewarned. Hope you'll add your info to the Pic & Registry page when you get it home. Post again often.

Thanks for the advice, Todd. I will.

One thing I noticed- the first V9B I sat on several weeks ago at another dealer had a very hard seat, or at least I thought so at the time. The seat on the one I bought was great. Supportive and comfortable for the hour or so I was on the bike. Maybe there was a running production change.

Hi all, Lucydad here from Sugar Land, TX. Figured out I registered here a while back. Main focus is my V7R but in hunt for possibly a V9 replacement.
Thanks for the advice, Todd. I will.
One thing I noticed- the first V9B I sat on several weeks ago at another dealer had a very hard seat, or at least I thought so at the time. The seat on the one I bought was great. Supportive and comfortable for the hour or so I was on the bike. Maybe there was a running production change.
Thanks for posting as an actual V9 owner. I am very keen to hear your experiences. Considering replacing my V7R with a V9 or new Bonnieville T100.

Currently I own a 2012 V7R that I have enjoyed immensely. However, I am on the hunt for a retro bike with: 1) a bit more punch, 2) ABS brakes 3) more upright seating. We have a new Guzzi dealer in Houston now, replacing the fantastic MPH where I bought my V7R.

Guzzi still twist my heart, love the V-twin air cooled simple engines, character and shaft drives.

So far I have just sat on the 2016 Bobber and looked at the Roamer. The other bikes of interest are the new Triumph Bonnieville T100 or perhaps T120. Same thing, no test rides yet. Both dealers are within 15 miles from my house.

Concept would be to trade the V7R. Also have a Triumph triple STRX 675 that is just a hoot.

So, that is a re-introduction. I look forward to discussions on the V9 from actual owners. That information is pretty hard to get so far given the new bike and few owners.

Thanks and ride safe!

Thanks for posting as an actual V9 owner. I am very keen to hear your experiences. Considering replacing my V7R with a V9 or new Bonnieville T100.
So the things I personally didn't like on the V9 is the styling of the 4-gallon fuel tank, mid controls, hard seat and flat bars (though I haven't seen the revised controls on the newest V9), all now replaced on mine below (which I can offer as a turn key V7 retro-fit kit if interested, but know it ain't cheap!). And despite how much I don't like the wheel & tire combos on either the B or R, the 16" Bobber wheels get the nod from me as to confidence/feel.

The motor is a nice step up from the current V7 II. However, I had @Gruzzer ride my V9/7 against his GT-Rx® V7-820/2V and he said his had more punch than my modded V9. Everyone is welcome to come sample my V9/7, click pic below or RentAGuzzi banner ad above.

Depending on how much you like your V7R, you might consider my engine mod. See; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-rx®-v7r-820-quattrovalvole-info.15435/page-2#post-123379 -- Or ride the V9 and see if it speaks to you. If it does, go for it.
The new T's are very good (I own the new Thrux-R for rental duties) but they've become so refined they've lost my interest. Guzzi will largely always have me for the power delivery, sound and simplicity to work on, despite their chronic small issues.

In a sense Todd beat me to it...

For anyone that loves the V7 platform, but is looking toward the V9 solely for the increased power output, I can unequivocally recommend Todd's drop in 820 big bore kit or the 4V-820 big bore/head replacement kit.

FWIW - The 820 BBK cylinders that Todd is offering are the same bore as those that Guzzi is putting in the V9. The additional displacement on the V9s comes from a stroker crank on these bikes.

It's notable that @Gruzzer, after comparing the 820 BBK side by side with Todd's upgraded V9, still felt that the V7 820 BBK put out more power. This doesn't surprise me, though. The components in Todd's kits are all precision machined, and the dyno charts that Todd posted here previously showed that we could expect as much.

I opted for the full 4V-820 kit. To encourage those on the fence, rather than to brag... This makes the bike into the bike that you really wanted. It's still the V7 that you fell in love with - but it's transformed the bike into the bike that you imagined it might be!

IMG 1237 IMG 1239

Last edited:
Strada,

Heck of a V7R you got there! I have always loved the V7R look, lines and coloring. Mine is a 2012 with the metal black tank, would the big bore 4V kit work for it also? Bike is in great shape overall with about 16K miles on it. Mike at MPH has it tuned great.

The modification would involve shipping the bike, some time and money. All those I have. Helps that the Guzzi not my only bike. Then the question: what about increased maintenance, reliability and such? I am not much of a mechanic although Houston Superbikes down the freeway from me is reportedly a very good shop, and now a Guzzi dealer.

Todd, any comments? Make me a price?

Yes, I enjoy the Guzzi character a lot. That is a concern about the new Bonnies. Also not a fan of the V9 tank shape, or increased weight.

Hey, it is a beautiful day! Guess what is next on my agenda? NW ride out of Houston to spot some bluebonnets on the V7R, and likely catch some good BBQ. Allergies are finally calming down too.

Back