• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Pressure Light is on

Poppe

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
ENGINE NOT STARTING

Hey Guys,

I'm lost on what to do. I went to start my bike on Saturday, and my OIL PRESSURE light stayed illuminated when I turned the key. All other lights lit up and did their thing, including the speedometer, but when I go to start the bike, the engine won't turn on.

I thought maybe I was low on oil for and that was the issue as I hadn't checked in the oil in about 1K miles, so I ordered a bottle of the ENI 10w-60 and added about .5L to the bike. Still nothing.

What do I do next? I'm so lost and not mechanically inclined. I don't now if I should add the other .5L left and keep trying, or where to even start.

[I'm located in Los Angeles, so the weather has been around 50 degrees in the evening and 70 when I went to start it]

Thank you.

EDIT - Just want to say sorry if the post wasn't clear in the title. Kept getting an error if I had the words "engine was dead"

OKAY... So I figured it out. My bike was throwing a false neutral. So essentially it was in 1st gear even though the neutral light was on. Man I feel stupid for not checking that. I've had so many clutch issues, I should have known to check that.

Never trust the neutral light. If it is on you may not be in neutral. And if it is off you may be in a neutral.
Welcome to Italian transmissions. That ain't really a Guzzi thing, it is also a common Ducati issue.

Glad it was nothing big. Everyone makes silly mistakes. I can't tell you how many times I ride customer bikes around from my service department to the front of the store for customers to get on and ride off. Only for them to come back in with full gear on telling me their bike wont start now. It's always the kill switch.

The oil pressure light is coming back on now when accelerating from a stop. Is this just a common thing to have to top off the bike every 500 - 1000 miles?

The oil pressure light is coming back on now when accelerating from a stop. Is this just a common thing to have to top off the bike every 500 - 1000 miles?

On a new small block yes. If you have over 5K miles, no.

If the oil level is above the add mark and the oil pressure light is coming on then you have a different issue. Could be the sending unit, could be the oil pickup point has an issue and the list goes on. Best to have this checked out by a reputable shop.

On a new small block yes. If you have over 5K miles, no.

If the oil level is above the add mark and the oil pressure light is coming on then you have a different issue. Could be the sending unit, could be the oil pickup point has an issue and the list goes on. Best to have this checked out by a reputable shop.

Only have 3500 on the engine. So are you thinking it's best to have them check it out on the 5K service and then give it a bit afterwards to see if it settles?

Only have 3500 on the engine. So are you thinking it's best to have them check it out on the 5K service and then give it a bit afterwards to see if it settles?

I wouldn't wait. Oil is the life blood of the engine. If you are having actual pressure drops you may be getting damage. It sounds like you should still be under warranty.

I wouldn't wait. Oil is the life blood of the engine. If you are having actual pressure drops you may be getting damage. It sounds like you should still be under warranty.

Thanks, I appreciate the fast response.

One last question, if you don't mind. I've actually never had a vehicle with a warranty. Do I need to take it back to a dealer (150 miles away), or could I hit up Todd since he's closer and I'd much rather have him handling my bike?

One last question, if you don't mind. I've actually never had a vehicle with a warranty. Do I need to take it back to a dealer (150 miles away), or could I hit up Todd since he's closer and I'd much rather have him handling my bike?
P.I. in Glendale is your local dealer, steer away from S.O. I would be more then happy to have a look at it for you to let you know what the issue is. I stock most problematic parts these days (while most "dealers" don't), and a lot of them are shockingly cheap these days. Ping me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

P.I. in Glendale is your local dealer, steer away from S.O. I would be more then happy to have a look at it for you to let you know what the issue is. I stock most problematic parts these days (while most "dealers" don't), and a lot of them are shockingly cheap these days. Ping me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Got it thanks Todd. I'll hit you up. I'm currently knee deep in work, so no riding for me lately. But I'd much rather have your team my only source for maintenance. Thank you!

700 miles on my 2018 V7III and the oil pressure light stays lit about 5 seconds (it feels like 5 minutes) after cold-starting. Is this normal or something to worry about?

if a dealer is doing it have him put a oil pressure gauge on it before doing anything else. if not you need to.
My only other WAG is they serviced it with 15/50 oil and in your colder climate it might be too thick to get pressure right away.

I did the first service and it seems better. Cold start this morning and the oil light was on for only a couple seconds.

Back