• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1400 Suspension Thread

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
This thread will track modifications and adjustments to the suspension for your Custom and Tour. Please feel free to post/share your findings and settings that work for you.

1400 Custom

SHOCKS

STOCK INFO:
Front travel: 120mm / 3 = 40mm target total sag
Rear travel: 110mm / 3 = 36.6mm target total sag

Stock Settings
Front
Sag: ?

Rear:
Reb:

Notes:
My info: My weight is ~190 lbs in street clothing.
The ride is somewhat compliant over general smooth road surfaces, harsh/edged bumps are horrible. Bike sits through most of it's travel even with corrected preload. Feel when riding it in the sporty mindset, produces non-compliance and little damping. I've slid the front end at times as the rear brake lever comes in solid contact with the paving. Downright scary IMO for any Sport Touring with any significant load or rider over say 170 lbs.

1400 Tour

Thanks to Rudy below...
Rear Shocks:
Static (only): 28.5mm
Laden: ?

Matris M40KC Piggybacks:

As delivered/set by Matris:
Unladen: 368mm
Static: 362mm
Laden: 349mm
Total: 19mm
Comp: -18 turns out from max
Reb: -20 turns out from max

Notes:
Firm but compliant ride that soaked up nearly everything including the sharp-edged bumps. These are top shelf suspension components, and the ride reflects this. If you want the best, this is at the top of the list. They are very well balanced with the Matris F12S Cartridge Fork Kit below. Click >HERE< for purchase info.

Matris M40D Standard Twin Emulsion Shocks:

Unladen: 371mm
Static: 360mm
Laden: 347mm
Total: 24mm
-4 full turns preload: Total: 32mm
Reb: -18 turns out from max

Notes:
Soft and compliant ride that soaked up nearly everything except the very sharp-edged bumps. Ride over the stock shocks is almost unbelievably better. They are almost on par with the RT's above. Very well balanced with the Matris F12S Cartridge Fork Kit below. Click >HERE< for purchase info.

FORKS

Matris F12S Cartridge Kit:
Installation is very straight forward outside of the fork cap removal, noted below. Drain the fork oil and remove spacers, springs and bottom bolts to remove cartridge internals.
Install the S Kit per the included instructions. *A THIN (~4mm or less) 19mm open wrench required*

Unladen: 390mm
Static: 370mm
Laden: 350mm
Total: 40mm - Target
Oil level w/fork tubes compressed and only valve installed (no springs or spacers): 120mm
Preload: 20 clicks = 10 full turns (instructions say +12 clicks) *28mm 6 pt. socket required*
Comp: +2 turns in from full soft (instructions say +20)
Rebound: +4 turns in from full soft (instructions say +20)

Notes:
Impressively compliant low speed damping for bumps. The ride is MUCH better in feel and feedback from the front tire. Encourages spirited riding with zero concern for bumps, mid corner corrections, etc. Really makes the bike feel lighter and far more stable. I would say in comparison to stock, the OEM forks feel like they have half the oil in them, and the springs are clearly improperly spec'ed for any solo rider above 170 lbs in gear. These coupled with any of the above shock options really makes for a balanced bike that allows you to enjoy it, and encourages you to ride it quicker, no matter how fast you go.

Fork Cap of the F12S Kit, spring preload and compression adjust on one, rebound on the other.

Cal14 F12SKit

Removal of the stock cartridge fork cap as shown below. Compression of the spring required to access:

Cal14ForkCap

Sachs Fork Oil Level Info:
SachsForkOil Level

Last edited:
Matris twin shock info added above. I still need stock sag info to post. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with them.

Unfortunately I don't have the sag numbers for a custom for you. I have a Touring and my shocks are set at the next to the stiffest setting. I weighed in at 175 pounds as dressed when I checked this. With all my riding gear on I run about 190. I measured bolt center to bolt center with one saddlebag off. I also only have a tape measure to do that kind of length. 12" are my longest calipers.

As it sat - 13" on the money
With me on it 12.75"
With the rear wheel off the ground 13.5"

If putting them back to minimum would help you I can still do that. I'll have to remove the other saddlebag which I will be doing soon. I can't do the front as I have the bike clamped in my Handy lift for tires again plus suspension upgrades.

Ok Todd. I may have some better numbers for you. From the axle center to the center of a trip trunk mount bolt almost exactly above the axle with the shocks on the OEM lowest preload position.
Fully extended 16.625.
Weight of bike with no rider 15.50"
That means almost 26% sag before I put my fat butt on there. Unfortunately I did not have an assistant to measure it with me on there. I had been riding it with the shocks on the next to stiffest position because I was bottoming them a bit often as it came. Now I think I know why.

-4 full turns rebound: Total: 32mm

Notes:
Soft and compliant ride that soaked up nearly everything except the very sharp-edged bumps. Ride over the stock shocks is almost unbelievably better. They are almost on par with the RT's above. Very well balanced with the Matris F12S Cartridge Fork Kit below. Click >HERE< for purchase info.

View attachment 6965

Todd, I installed the new Matris M40D's yesterday and took it out to play. The bike tracks through corners SOOOO much better, much more stable. These are really nice!!
A couple of questions: Look at the recommendations above...is it -4 turns on the rebound or -18? Mine was delivered at 40 clicks from full closed. Are you calling "max" fully closed or fully open?
Lastly what brand of adjuster do you use to adjust the spring preload? It will take a "pin" type I think since the ring has no notches, only holes. I am going to have to back off the preload a bit as the initial static sag was only 4mm.
Thanks!
Kirk

Todd, I installed the new Matris M40D's yesterday and took it out to play. The bike tracks through corners SOOOO much better, much more stable. These are really nice!!
A couple of questions: Look at the recommendations above...is it -4 turns on the rebound or -18? Mine was delivered at 40 clicks from full closed. Are you calling "max" fully closed or fully open?
Lastly what brand of adjuster do you use to adjust the spring preload? It will take a "pin" type I think since the ring has no notches, only holes. I am going to have to back off the preload a bit as the initial static sag was only 4mm.
Thanks! Kirk
Kirk, glad you like them. You'll like them better once they are properly adjusted with preload and damping. Per above,
Reb: -18 turns out from max - max being fully closed (hardest setting). Trying to add from zero/minimal damping is tougher as it doesn't stop or bottom out.
Matris offers a preload tool, that I have been requesting they include. It's a spanner wrench made to fit the rings perfectly. I'll bring one in for you next order. 4mm is WAY too firm, and typical of how they send it. Get the back tire off the ground, and often you can spin the spring and lock ring (I think there's a set screw too, have a look) by hand. Keep us posted.

Kirk, glad you like them. You'll like them better once they are properly adjusted with preload and damping. Per above,
Reb: -18 turns out from max - max being fully closed (hardest setting). Trying to add from zero/minimal damping is tougher as it doesn't stop or bottom out.
Matris offers a preload tool, that I have been requesting they include. It's a spanner wrench made to fit the rings perfectly. I'll bring one in for you next order. 4mm is WAY too firm, and typical of how they send it. Get the back tire off the ground, and often you can spin the spring and lock ring (I think there's a set screw too, have a look) by hand. Keep us posted.

Thanks Todd! Yeah I was thinking 10-12mm would be a good starting point for the static sag since the spring was ordered for the weight of a two up with loaded bags. Once I get the pillion princess on there and some stuff in the bags then I can do the math and try to end up with 25-30mm total on the rear.
Let me know what the price on that spanner is...if any.
Kirk

HI Guys
I was looking on the market if there is anything electronic to set the suspension in different setting.
e.g. I used to have a BMW GS 1200 versiion and the ESA could be set in soft, normal, hard,
Can I buy any electronic suspension for the Cali on the market?
Thanks
Andre

This thread will track modifications and adjustments to the suspension for your Custom and Tour. Please feel free to post/share your findings and settings that work for you.

1400 Custom

SHOCKS

STOCK INFO:
Front travel: 120mm / 3 = 40mm target total sag
Rear travel: 110mm / 3 = 36.6mm target total sag

Stock Settings
Front

Rear:
Reb:

Notes:
My info: My weight is ~190 lbs in street clothing.
The ride is somewhat compliant over general smooth road surfaces, harsh/edged bumps are horrible. Bike sits through most of it's travel even with corrected preload. Feel when riding it in the sporty mindset, produces non-compliance and little damping. I've slid the front end at times as the rear brake lever comes in solid contact with the paving. Downright scary IMO for any Sport Touring with any significant load or rider over say 170 lbs.

1400 Tour

Thanks to Rudy below...
Rear Shocks:
Static (only): 28.5mm
Laden: ?

RT Piggybacks:

Cal14-RT-PB-470x470.jpg

As delivered/set by RT:
Unladen: 380mm
Total: 33mm
Comp: +2 turns in from flush adjuster (not indexed)
Reb: +47 of 62 clicks

Notes:
The ride over stock is night and day as the stock suspension (even with the preload set correctly) is further through the stroke and far less compliant with just my 190 lb frame aboard. Add a passenger and it's downright dangerous IMO. The RT PB's offer an amazingly compliant ride that soaked up nearly everything except the sharp-edged bumps. Touch down of the floor boards comes much later, and I have yet to touch down any hard part outside of the small replaceable nub on the bottom of the board brackets. They are very well balanced with the Matris F12S Cartridge Fork Kit below. Click >HERE< for purchase info.

Matris M40KC Piggybacks:

Unladen: 368mm
Static: 362mm
Laden: 349mm
Total: 19mm
Comp: -18 turns out from max
Reb: -20 turns out from max

Notes:
Firm but compliant ride that soaked up nearly everything including the sharp-edged bumps. These are top shelf suspension components, and the ride reflects this. If you want the best, this is at the top of the list. They are very well balanced with the Matris F12S Cartridge Fork Kit below. Click >HERE< for purchase info.

-4 full turns rebound: Total: 32mm

Notes:

FORKS

Matris F12S Cartridge Kit:
Installation is very straight forward outside of the fork cap removal, noted below. Drain the fork oil and remove spacers, springs and bottom bolts to remove cartridge internals.
Install the S Kit per the included instructions. *A THIN (~4mm or less) 19mm open wrench required*

Unladen: 390mm
Laden: 350mm
Total: 40mm - Target
Oil level w/fork tubes compressed and only valve installed (no springs or spacers): 120mm
Preload: 20 clicks = 10 full turns (instructions say +12 clicks) *28mm 6 pt. socket required*
Comp: +2 turns in from full soft (instructions say +20)
Rebound: +4 turns in from full soft (instructions say +20)

Notes:
Impressively compliant low speed damping for bumps. The ride is MUCH better in feel and feedback from the front tire. Encourages spirited riding with zero concern for bumps, mid corner corrections, etc. Really makes the bike feel lighter and far more stable. I would say in comparison to stock, the OEM forks feel like they have half the oil in them, and the springs are clearly improperly spec'ed for any solo rider above 170 lbs in gear. These coupled with any of the above shock options really makes for a balanced bike that allows you to enjoy it, and encourages you to ride it quicker, no matter how fast you go.

Fork Cap of the F12S Kit, spring preload and compression adjust on one, rebound on the other.

View attachment 6964

Removal of the stock cartridge fork cap as shown below. Compression of the spring required to access:

View attachment 6965

Hi Todd

Is there ANY rear shocks suitable for the Custom that do not require a gazillion turns of a collar to adjust preload?
There are many shocks out there with a 5 position preload system as well as Fournales with their air shocks. Range of adjustability is one thing but this is ridiculous
On a 21st century motorcycle, this system is incredibly archaic.

There are many shocks out there with a 5 position preload system as well as Fournales with their air shocks. Range of adjustability is one thing but this is ridiculous
On a 21st century motorcycle, this system is incredibly archaic.
Funny, I consider the stepped preload adjusters archaic. For nearly two decades I raced on shocks at a Pro level with threaded adjusters. Really, it's set and forget unless you are varying your load often (which perhaps is the case?). As a science, threaded preload collars are cheapest and easiest. From there, Ohlins offers a hydraulic preload adjuster, but it ain't cheap to add to their shocks. I am about ready to add a set of non-damping-adjustable Ohlins to the online Store for the 1400 Custom, Audace or any other bike without factory bags. They come only with threaded preload adjusters, but the hydraulic adjusters can be added as an option (see pic below).
Air systems (such as Fornales - are they available for the 1400?) can work, but they offer a much different ride compared to oil/nitrogen... depends on what you're looking for.

OHL TWNSHK HYDPREL

I just put the C1400 Ohlins shocks in the online Store HERE

I'm with Todd on this. It should only require 1 or 2 turns of the nut for a normal change on the threaded shocks unless there is a large load change. Going from solo to passenger does require some change but honestly on the bike I did most of my solo/2 up riding on that had good shocks I did not have to adjust as I rode more aggressively when solo. She hasn't rode with me for several years so at the moment not a concern.
That being said I have the remote adjuster on the Ohlins on my Norge.

Todd, What is it about these shocks that prohibit use with the California Touring saddlebags?
If you look down the inside of the bags, there is a "tunnel" formed closely around the shocks (by the saddlebag), so nothing other then a straight shock body/spring will work, meaning nothing with any type of (piggyback or remote) reservoir will fit or work unfortunately.

After dragging the kickstand around left corners for the past two years I finally got motivated to look into the matter. Turns out my shocks were set with the minimum preload which I figure is a perfect setting..... for a ten year old. I'm about 220 and not having the patience to do a proper sag measurement I just cranked up the preload to the second highest setting. I realize these oem shocks are not ultimate suspension components but it is amazing how much better they ride with a little attention paid to the only adjustment they have. Kickstand still drags once in a while but not near as often and the ride is much better. I may upgrade them in the future but now I'm not in such a hurry.

Can someone tell me the ride difference between coil and air suspension on the 1400? I thought air was better for cruisers and coil for sport type bikes. I'm sure it's not that simple though.

Finally got round to "setting up" my Matris M40D black edition.
Measurements taken from the top of the lower shock mount to the carrier mounting bracket (see photos).
Rear wheel off the ground 285mm
Unladen 275mm
Rider & passenger with full kit, empty panniers 250mm
The rebound is currently set at 20 clicks anti clockwise from fully in.
Any input/advice regarding these settings would be appreciated.
I have yet to take it for a play.

Update, I ran the the measurements past the shock suppliers (Novatech, Suspensiones. Valencia) and they said that all sounded ok give it a go. In essence I did, the bike tracks so much better round corners and soaks up the bumps and road imperfections far better than the OEM units. Unfortunately they also show how poor the standard front suspension is. I do however have the Matris uprated springs and spacers waiting fitment, (I notice currently on sale in the store) for when the forks are removed (warranty). Imminent.
After Todd's fuelling kit I would say this is the second best improvement I have made to the bike.

Matris just wrote me with an updated application list and included the Eldorado in their full (new version) fork cartridge kit shown below.
I have them available in the Store here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/matris-california-1400-cartridge-fork-kit -- and to drive home the point, these are drop in, no modification to the forks necessary at all. Almost all others require extensive modification.

A5E33FC6 6361 4EA7 BE43 2D7CF93629FE

Back