• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust sound gets quiet on the way. Valves too tight?

Kuzya

Tuned and Synch'ed
1200 sport 2V with Mistral silencer.
In the middle of the road, suddenly, the exhaust sound almost disappears, gets very silent. The ride feels smooth. Usually happens on hot days, irregularly.
Can it be because of too tight valve clearance and exhaust valves not closing properly, so smoothening the pressure wave? Or would I have felt the not closed valves as a total power loss? Cause the bike is rolling kind of ok, just scaringly quiet.

This is a physics question, not a running question. Could be a dozen things. If the bike is in a decent/recent state of tune, and the fueling is still stock, I would highly recommend a fuel map revision that I can be of help with.

You're not by chance climbing up to a reasonable altitude and then returning down to sea level by any chance?

My bike gets very quiet in these circumstances (and then my ears hurt!).

This is a physics question, not a running question. Could be a dozen things. If the bike is in a decent/recent state of tune, and the fueling is still stock, I would highly recommend a fuel map revision that I can be of help with.
Thanks Todd! I'm a happy owner of the O2 tuning box of yours, runs much cooler sinse than, reacher than stock, and so much smoother. Only the silencer is non-stock, and snorkeloctomy with stock air filter. Does not seem to be overlean. Will look at spark plugs state and come back to your offer.

You're not by chance climbing up to a reasonable altitude and then returning down to sea level by any chance?

My bike gets very quiet in these circumstances (and then my ears hurt!).

Also interesting sympthom. But not my case...

After this happened to my other bike, w800, it proved that the small hill climb is the reason. Interestingly, the other street sounds appeared ok through the full face helmet, no sign of pressure change deafness, which is usually noticeable on all the sound picture.
Good thing is - bike okay, me - learned something new. Amazing how the jokes on possible deafness looked strange above at the first glance....

Unlike many Engines, the Valve Clearances on the 1200 CARCs increase as the Engine temp increases.

Back