• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Charging issues / Dead battery -- PLEASE READ

doubt it. thats where mine was at with 2 different meters. replacement rarely hits 13.0 piss poor quality control if you ask me.

Are you suggesting you got a reading of 15 volts with the engine NOT RUNNING/KEY OFF?

As I said, either we're misunderstanding his post or something is wrong, perhaps with his meter.

I just checked my 3 week old 2015 V7 with 1400 miles on it. 17.0 at idle and 17.4 at 3-4000 RPM. just great! call in to selling dealer.
I don't know if it did this from the start but when the key is turned on it shows like a capital A without the cross line then A I N and what looks like a capital E without the top cross line. I see nothing like this in the code page provided here.

So here is my original post. I doubt I checked it with the engine off but if it's being hit with 17 volts running 15 off would be likely shortly there after.

Wow this is a great Forum. Just found this little thread. I have not tested my new acquisition, but if my Mantra of 'It's not a proper Italian Motorcycle unless there is something wrong with it' holds true I suspect I have this problem on my 15 V7 special.

Has anyone used this part from the GuzziTech website?
EME VOLTAGE REGULATOR – NEW
$109.00

If I read Todd's posts correctly the Reg/Rec needs to be replaced as well as the Battery, then have the dealer check for Cam sensor error codes?

Thanks!

....I have not tested my new acquisition, but if my Mantra of 'It's not a proper Italian Motorcycle unless there is something wrong with it' holds true I suspect I have this problem on my 15 V7 special.
I have to sadly report that my V7II Stone has just shy of 14,000 mi on it and the battery/regulator are fine, there are no missing thrust washers/shims in the engine, the clutch throwout bearings are as good as new, oil doesn't burn or accumulate in the air box, the rear drive doesn't leak, the cold idle is just fine, there is no unevenness in the throttle response, the spark plug caps haven't shorted or corroded, there's no back-firing or grumbling when I let the throttle off, and none of the turn signal lights have fallen off yet. Either I'm doing something wrong or I've been very unlucky.

After reading all of the battery/regulator horror stories here, I checked mine with a Fluke meter yesterday. The battery had been on a Battery Tender for about a week until the previous day. Before starting, the battery voltage was 12.79V. After starting, and idling, it was 14.31V. At either 3000 or 4000 rpm, it rose to 14.48V. The battery temperature was about 45F, and according to tables for 6-cell lead/acid batteries, at that temperature the voltage at which gas begins to be produced is about 15V. So, once again, my bike is disappointingly OK.

Last edited:
Sib sorry to hear you are not getting the full Italian Motorcycle Ownership experience ;). Despite my Mantra, I keep buying them because they make me smile. I think the VII did not have the charging issues, only the VI, I think I may go ahead and upgrade to the rec/reg from the VII just to be safe. Cheers!

I have to sadly report that my V7II Stone has just shy of 14,000 mi on it and the battery/regulator are fine, there are no missing thrust washers/shims in the engine, the clutch throwout bearings are as good as new, oil doesn't burn or accumulate in the air box, the rear drive doesn't leak, the cold idle is just fine, there is no unevenness in the throttle response, the spark plug caps haven't shorted or corroded, there's no back-firing or grumbling when I let the throttle off, and none of the turn signal lights have fallen off yet. Either I'm doing something wrong or I've been very unlucky.
we have a winner!
Heh, yep... well, (un)lucky for sure. My V7 II Stone rental has ~10k on it now. The rear drive now leaks, even after we tightened the barely finger-tight (from the factory) inner rear flange bolts. The PDI was not properly done on any of my '13-current V7's or V9. If you have a good dealer, you are very lucky. It was the '13-15 V7s as noted that had the problematic charging issue.

I think the VII did not have the charging issues, only the VI, I think I may go ahead and upgrade to the rec/reg from the VII just to be safe.
Just check it with a DVM before spending the money. You may be one of the (un)lucky ones like Sib above. ;)

Good news - pulled my side panel and got out my fancy new DVM. 12.1 off, 13.2 at idle, 14.2 at 3000 RPM. Mine is a late production V7 2015 model, so evidently I got one with a correctly functioning rec/reg. Now if I could only find one of the two little rubber grommets from the side panel that went missing since the last time I had the side panel off!

Thanks to everyone in this thread. Would not have even known to check if not for you guys!

My 2013v7r shows 15,4 at all rpm. Original battery lasted 2 years and 3500 km, but no running issues so far. This thread is long and confusing, but which VR from this site should I buy?
If nothing else it will make me sleep better at night

My 2013v7r shows 15,4 at all rpm. Original battery lasted 2 years and 3500 km, but no running issues so far. This thread is long and confusing, but which VR from this site should I buy?
If nothing else it will make me sleep better at night
I ended up not needing one, but it looks like the EME for 109 would work though may not be plug and play. The OEM might be but is quite a bit more expensive. I asked Todd about the EME one, he said it might require cutting the plug off the old unit and attaching it to the new one. Would recommend soldering for that vs. crimp connectors if you have the savvy. If not, a local auto electric shop or independent MC mechanic should be able to.

Just came across this thread. Read every damn post.

Then read all the V7-overcharging posts on the the other forum.

What a mess of inconclusiveness.

Checked output on my 2013 V7 Racer: 12.49 volts DC at rest, and 15.47 volts everywhere in the rev range—from idle to 4k.

Bike starts easily with 7,000 miles on the original battery and no evident electrical issues.

Too many options, but still none of them is plug and play. I'm still thinking about what to do.

This one...

electrosport.com/street-bikes/moto-guzzi/v7-racer/honda-heavy-duty-regulatorrectifier.html

...is supposedly a replacement for 883878--the regulator part number for the 2013 racer, and maybe others. I wrote to the distributor,and he wrote back that the output is set for 14.6 volts.

BIG HOWEVER: I'm still not entirely sure the plugs will fit, because the bike model and date applications specified--according to my parts book--use the GU32703810 VRR.

Also it's made in China.

Also, I hate removing the tank. I've done it twice. Those who don't find that procedure a royal PITA have my doffed hat. I'm considering just cutting the wires at both old and new regulators and splicing in the new part. Would also reder moot the plug issue. (Spicing is not much fun either, but it's better than pulling the tank.)

This one...

electrosport.com/street-bikes/moto-guzzi/v7-racer/honda-heavy-duty-regulatorrectifier.html

...is supposedly a replacement for 883878--the regulator part number for the 2013 racer, and maybe others. I wrote to the distributor,and he wrote back that the output is set for 14.6 volts.

BIG HOWEVER: I'm still not entirely sure the plugs will fit, because the bike model and date applications specified--according to my parts book--use the GU32703810 VRR.

Also it's made in China.

Also, I hate removing the tank. I've done it twice. Those who don't find that procedure a royal PITA have my doffed hat. I'm considering just cutting the wires at both old and new regulators and splicing in the new part. Would also reder moot the plug issue. (Spicing is not much fun either, but it's better than pulling the tank.)
Removing the tank is extremely easy. Make sure it's near empty helps but I've done it full. And use the green quick disconnect on the fuel line and unplug the wires pop off some hoses easy enough. But helps to have a extra set of hands to hold the tank up.

Just came across this thread. Read every damn post.

Then read all the V7-overcharging posts on the the other forum.

What a mess of inconclusiveness.

Checked output on my 2013 V7 Racer: 12.49 volts DC at rest, and 15.47 volts everywhere in the rev range—from idle to 4k.

Bike starts easily with 7,000 miles on the original battery and no evident electrical issues.

Too many options, but still none of them is plug and play. I'm still thinking about what to do.

Same for me, I cannot understand how MG did not issue a recall on this.
Mine is also putting out 15.4v.
I don't know if I should just replace it with the same factory one hoping it will be ok.

I'd do a thread search to be sure, but I believe in the Store you will fine an aftermarket Rec Reg, as well as OEM. Supposedly the newer OEMs work properly. Other guys have done even more creative solution. Good Luck.

My 14 V7R has the issue, 15.25v at idle and 3k. Purchased the reg/rec from this thread on eBay. It came as a pretty complete kit including a substantial inline 30a fuse holder. Anyone install that or we should be good without it based on the bikes stock elec sys? From the thread it seems like just swap the connectors over from stock to the new one and good to go but wanted to confirm.

Back