• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Refueling the V7

Midnite

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I've owned two bikes before my new V7ii, and both were easy to refuel; stick in the nozzle, pull back the rubber boot that we Californians have to deal with, and let 'er rip. Pump would auto-stop when full. No spillage. I pulled into the filling station yesterday to refuel the V7 for the first time, and found, much to my surprise, that when I tried to do the same thing I've done countless times on my other bikes, fuel splashed all over the tank - even when I tried to slow the roll of fuel delivery from the pump. I searched the forum and net in general, and didn't find any special techniques for dealing with V7 refueling. Does anyone have any tips for refueling that will minimize fuel spillage?

Many thanks-

Yes, kind of. I always pump while seated, and point the nozzle in and back towards the back of the tank, and use my thumb to advance the lever, using the tank opening to compress the evap boot. That make any visual sense?
Have you added your info to the Registry?

I just hold the evap boot back with my hand. It's not an elegant solution, but I've never over-filled, and since you can see the fuel in the tank it's easy to fill to exactly where you want.

Thank you for the tips! I'll give them a try when I find myself back at the pump. I'm used to fueling from the side, or at a diagonal angle, so pointing the nozzle in and back seems like it might help. Cheers!

I found that if I pull the nozzle out a little - rather than letting it rest on the ridge below the inlet - and then point the nozzle to the left and feather the flow, I get a clean fill. My Enfield was pretty splashy so I got used to filling slowly anyway.

I stick the nozzle in and fuel until the pump clicks

then I pull the nozzle out then soft squeeze until I get the fuel to the level just below the brim.

I rarely splash with this technique if you can call it that....maybe some drop off the nozzles when I try to put the nozzle back to the station.

I fuel up with the bike on side stand but only because my gas station would actually cut me off if I stay on the bike while fueling and call me name...etc...

Those responding that have never lived or ridden in California don't understand the question. ;)

In uk the garages are also not happy about the bike being refuelled with a rider sitting on the bike as if fuel spills it goes on them.......it must be safer refuelling with the bike on the stand.
AndyB

Those responding that have never lived or ridden in California don't understand the question. ;)

It's been some years since I last rode in CA, but is there something different about their vapor recovery nozzles that hasn't been used elsewhere?

I don't think they're mandatory any more in PA and NJ, but a lot of stations here for many years had ones with the full length of the nozzle spring loaded accordion bellows that must be compressed before fuel would flow.

It's a bit of a pain but I always just used two hands, compress and hold with one while working the nozzle trigger with the other.

Is there something else I'm missing?

Yeah, we had them here once upon a time. I do know what a pain they are, luckily we stopped using those and now have something that works better.
The Aerostitch widget works.
Personally I never stick the nozzle too far in and never use the auto-shut off function on a motorcycle. That is only for cars, trucks, and Jeeps in my opinion.

I used the Aerostitch widget today, along with Todd's recommendation to point the pump nozzle toward the back of the tank, and got a clean, perfect fill. Ahhhhh, California. Appreciate the ideas and feedback!

I used the Aerostitch widget today, along with Todd's recommendation to point the pump nozzle toward the back of the tank, and got a clean, perfect fill. Ahhhhh, California. Appreciate the ideas and feedback!

Using the widget also gives you the auto click shut off when full?

Surpisingly, yes. Given the clear view of the tank, I actually topped it off after the click as well, which I've never done on other bikes.

Why don't you gize give Caliphornia what they want? Cast them adrift and excommunicate them from the Union.

I've had a few spill overs, so I wait until the low fuel light stays on, then add 3.3 gallons.

Last edited:
Back