• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MG Rack and Givi Top Box on Audace

PaulDavies

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So given that my bike has to serve as both fun bike and occasional tourer/commuter, I thought about attaching the MG rack to the Audace and fitting a Givi V46 Top box. First thing to note is the Audace has all the mounting holes that the Cali has. The rack also fits around the Audace rear seat no problem (different shape to the Cali), so in theory it's a straightforward job, but a couple of things tripped me up,

1st off the Audace as a slightly different rear fender that is "flat" along it's bottom edge whereas Cali's is more rounded, this meant the two fender mounted chrome brackets for the rack that normally curve down, under and then up around the bottom of the fender wouldn't fit. There are two options, cut a narrow "mail box" slot in the fender on each side to match the size and shape of the bracket, or make a rectangular cutout. You can see in the photo I did the small cutout. I used a tiny drill mounted needle file to make the cutout after making a template based on measuring things 4 times (you only get one shot at making it right). I thne sealed around the edges with black mastic/sealant.

2nd off, the rack mount goes under the seat, however the rider seat cannot be "clicked' into the locked position because the shape of the seat is obstructed by the rack. In the end I had to remove a couple of staples from the underside of the riders seat leather, snip away some of the plastic base and re-staple. You can see this in the photo.

Next I fitted a Givi V46 Rack, purely because I happened to have it kicking around in the garage from my previous bike. It has the clear reflector panels and I think it looks a pretty good match for the LED tailight, but it's all subjective

DSC01626s

Below you can see the cutout for the seat and the fender

DSC01629s

The full monty
DSC01630s

I have the Givi V46 on my Breva 1100 and purchased the brake light kit, the 4 circles above the Givi logo contain small lamps and are wired into the brake light circuit. Where as your is a white reflector panel, mine is red.

It looks like you've hard mounted the top box to the MG rack, rather than using a universal mounting plate such as this one sold here.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/monolock-universal-fit-kit/

While it must be great to be able to carry so much luggage, it does IMHO, spoil the lines of a great looking bike. Personally, I would only want to mount this huge top box when absolutely necessary.

It looks like you've hard mounted the top box to the MG rack, rather than using a universal mounting plate such as this one sold here.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/monolock-universal-fit-kit/

While it must be great to be able to carry so much luggage, it does IMHO, spoil the lines of a great looking bike. Personally, I would only want to mount this huge top box when absolutely necessary.

Yes I agree, it definitely looks cooler without the box, but it's so convenient to throw things like helmet, gloves, phone, jacket etc into when on a ride. At the end of the day, as with all things motorcycle, it's a trade off. The whole rack/topbox thing can be removed/fitted in under 5 mins.

One thing I did notice about the rack (the top box itself is fairly light) is that it shifts the weight of the bike further backwards. You don't notice when riding, as it isn't by much, but I went to jack up the bike last weekend using one of those $100-150 ATV type lifts (which I've used before with no problem) and the back wheel just wouldn't rise off the ground. I had to remove the rack in the end to get rear wheel clearance. I suspect the same would be true of the Cali custom with rack fitted although my Carbon front fender probably made a huge difference (ha ha)

Last edited:
My front wheel always lifts first, even with the lift moved rearwards as far as I dare. Installed the rack before I purchased the lift, never occurred to me that the rack would be upsetting things. It is rather heavy.

Nice job.
Thanks mate, now if it would only stop raining here in Vancouver I'd be able to ride it. At the moment I'm cycling to work more than riding. The thread hopefully highlights the fact that the MG Rack will (with some minor mods) fit the Audace. All the web sites I visit like AF1 etc don't list it as compatible (which technically it isn't - not 100% anyway), but all the mountings are there and the mods to make it work are not difficult if you take your time

Thanks mate, now if it would only stop raining here in Vancouver I'd be able to ride it. At the moment I'm cycling to work more than riding. The thread hopefully highlights the fact that the MG Rack will (with some minor mods) fit the Audace. All the web sites I visit like AF1 etc don't list it as compatible (which technically it isn't - not 100% anyway), but all the mountings are there and the mods to make it work are not difficult if you take your time

I know mate had the same problem when I bought the rack for my Eldorado at that time all the California stuff was
advertised as fitting all models and the Eldo guard is even deeper than the Audace, but where there's a will there's a way. This is what I ended up with, I thought of cutting a hole in the guard but didn't trust myself to do it. (That's just a reflection in the guard)

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 99
I know mate had the same problem when I bought the rack for my Eldorado at that time all the California stuff was
advertised as fitting all models and the Eldo guard is even deeper than the Audace, but where there's a will there's a way. This is what I ended up with, I thought of cutting a hole in the guard but didn't trust myself to do it. (That's just a reflection in the guard)

I investigated that approach too (Option 3 I guess). Bought some longer bolts and washers to lower the small chrome rack/fender attachment pieces about an inch to clear the bottom of the fender and then thought about making a connecting piece to fill the space. In the end I gave up and did the mail box fender cut. Yours looks pretty good especially painted black

Img10 Img11 Img12 Img14 Img15 Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

1. Agostini slip-ons (with dB killer fitted)
2. Cali 1400 Touring handlebar with risers
3. Original OEM heated grip option added
4. Sargent heated seat pad and controller fitted
5. Removed fender extender for lights and number plates
6. Used Harley curved number plate frame and made surrounding frame from timber
7. Moved rear reflector light up to fender
8. Fitted Harley small luggage rack
9. Clamped Givi base plate to it (easy to remove)
10. Added Dart flyscreen (suited for V7)
11. Replaced headlamp with high intensity OPT7 H4 LED lamp
12. Moved front blinkers to fairing frame
13. Added BMC airfilter
14. Ordered Rapidbike Easy O2 modulator (to improve low rpm fueling)
15. .... not sure yet....??

. Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

Nice mods mate, very well done and very neat. Like the rack idea I might pinch it and do something similar for the Eldo for solo touring, with the passenger pad and grab rail removed it's very similar to the Audace. Did you get the seat specially made?

. Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

Nice mods mate, very well done and very neat. Like the rack idea I might pinch it and do something similar for the Eldo for solo touring, with the passenger pad and grab rail removed it's very similar to the Audace. Did you get the seat specially made?
The seat is the stock Audace seat, it comes with an additional small seat pad for pillion riders which I removed.

The seat is the stock Audace seat, it comes with an additional small seat pad for pillion riders which I removed.

Sorry, I thought it was a Sargent seat I miss-understood. What then is the Sargent heated seat pad it sounds interesting.

View attachment 12211 View attachment 12212 View attachment 12213 View attachment 12216 View attachment 12217 Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

13. Added BMC airfilter

Like the license plate mod, I've been toying with something like that myself. There is one that goes off to the side and mounts off the shock bolt, but I like yours too although I'm not sure it would work with my topbox as it sits way further back . I wonder if it would obscure the plate.

I would be interested to see a Dyno chart for the Agostinis, especially after the RapidBike Mod. There is a full exhaust system made by GT-Rx that shows 20Ib/ft and 20hp gains which sound awesome.

Even though I raised the standard Audace handlebars by 2" using my own risers (and it made a big difference for someone short like me), I'm still not 100% happy so I've ordered the 2017 Audace handlebars with more pullback and slightly curved downwards. Took some tracking down but it's MG part 2B003940. They should still fit with my risers (fingers crossed) and I won't need longer cables

Like the license plate mod, I've been toying with something like that myself. There is one that goes off to the side and mounts off the shock bolt, but I like yours too although I'm not sure it would work with my topbox as it sits way further back . I wonder if it would obscure the plate.

I would be interested to see a Dyno chart for the Agostinis, especially after the RapidBike Mod. There is a full exhaust system made by GT-Rx that shows 20Ib/ft and 20hp gains which sound awesome.

Even though I raised the standard Audace handlebars by 2" using my own risers (and it made a big difference for someone short like me), I'm still not 100% happy so I've ordered the 2017 Audace handlebars with more pullback and slightly curved downwards. Took some tracking down but it's MG part 2B003940. They should still fit with my risers (fingers crossed) and I won't need longer cables

I know its long ago but did you change the 'bars? any issues? cheers

View attachment 12211 View attachment 12212 View attachment 12213 View attachment 12216 View attachment 12217 Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

13. Added BMC airfilter
Hi, I understand it was some time ago but how do you find the rack solution? I am looking to add some luggage and still scratching my head between lateral bags or this one. Also, do you know the HD code for the rack? Many thanks! Max

13. Added BMC airfilter

Curious about the replacement headlamp. Was the OPT7 H4 LED a simple plug and play, or did you have to do any mods to accommodate for any differences in power, heat, fit? Looking for a solution to improve headlamp visibility on my Cali 1400, but hesitant to introduce anything that might cause problems. Appreciate any feedback.

Back