• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New 1400s any known issues before I buy an elderado?

Tubehead

Just got it firing!
I always seem to buy a new bike in the heat of desire without researching it first so this time around I want to do it the right way around.Before I lay down my hard earned cash what do I need to know up front?

Not really an issue, but they changed the spelling to Eldorado :) I've got about 1000 miles on mine and just love it.

Not really an issue, but they changed the spelling to Eldorado :) I've got about 1000 miles on mine and just love it.
LOL at 59 maybe the miss spell is appropriate !
I have been in lust since it's introduction but 2 of my bikes have to go to fund it although I have the cash now .I have 7 bikes so no way will I be able to sneek it in and not sell anything as I usually do.The boss is counting and watching this time.

I always seem to buy a new bike in the heat of desire without researching it first so this time around I want to do it the right way around.Before I lay down my hard earned cash what do I need to know up front?

I have 20,000kms on mine, no issues. It's as good as it looks, in fact it's even better.

Overall the 1380 cc bikes overall are pretty good. Only real issue I can think of is the issue with the instrument panel can fog up due to moisture under the glass. My audace does have this issue but it isn't bad. Apparently it can get pretty bad on some though. Aftermarket isn't as big as many others but you have some choices and overall I think the bikes are pretty well setup from the beginning.

Other than that it is just knowing what comes with owning a semi rare bike. The 1380 engine uses special spark plugs that ngk makes for them. They are like 15 bucks each so it isn't too bad but I personally have a spare set of them. The engine calls for a valve check every oil change. It is easy to do and they are adjustable vs using shims. Still it calls for it far more often than other bikes that now are 12 to 15k miles on the service checks vs 6200 miles on the guzzi.

You can find the service code to reset the service needed light on this form that should work with that bike so that isn't a big issue anymore.

Others will be better to speak on long term issues as my audace is only a year old. Overall I've been very happy with it and the build quality. I'd say go nuts on the eldorado if you like it. Get the dealer to give you a copy of the service manual(they can download a pdf of it). With any new bike I'd go behind them and check all of the bolts and make sure they are secured on it when you get it.

O yea one more thing. The oil filter is kinda recessed under the bike which is nice because it helps protect it. That being said a lot of oil filter wrenches will not work. Its a cheap fix but something to look out for. The rear wheel used big enough allen and metric sockets that I did have to go buy a set.

Thanks for this advice guys I bought a Ducati gt1000 a while back that had a few known issues that caught me out on rides and left me stranded .Had I bothered to research the bike I would have known about these and done the simple upgrades needed and avoided a lot of hassle but it sounds like the Eldorado has no real issues.

Also at the top of the 1400 forum page there is a topic on technical issues and recalls.

Also at the top of the 1400 forum page there is a topic on technical issues and recalls.
Thanks .I Already know I will be up for some more money straight away as lean fueling on modern bikes is a pet hate.
My GT1000 was horrible under 4000rpm before a race ecu and exhaust was fitted so I guess I can factor a decent wad of cash to get that sorted on the Eldorado.A cracked crossover is not that exciting either but at least I know!

Thanks .I Already know I will be up for some more money straight away as lean fueling on modern bikes is a pet hate.
My GT1000 was horrible under 4000rpm before a race ecu and exhaust was fitted so I guess I can factor a decent wad of cash to get that sorted on the Eldorado.A cracked crossover is not that exciting either but at least I know!

I think it's a given they do run lean, but honestly I have no issues with how the Eldorado runs. Did a tour of Tassie last year and two up fully loaded (over-loaded) it coped easily, even uphill 1st or 2nd gear hairpins it never gave me a moments worry and at 20,000kms no problem with the cross over, the mechanic at the local shop in South Oz where I bought it says he hasn't seen one fracture yet. Fueling might be worth looking at to make it run richer and cooler but that's the only reason I would consider it, ride one 1st and see what you think. Rexxer in Brisbane do a remap for the 1400s for around $400, they have agents around Oz + mods to mufflers and air box if you want to go that route.
PS. A lot of road tests say they are thirsty but they get better as they loosen up, mine averages around 5.5 ltr/100kms, fuel light comes on around 240/250kms but there is still about 5 ltrs left in the tank so 300+kms fuel range is not a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Overall the 1380 cc bikes overall are pretty good. Only real issue I can think of is the issue with the instrument panel can fog up due to moisture under the glass. My audace does have this issue but it isn't bad. Apparently it can get pretty bad on some though. Aftermarket isn't as big as many others but you have some choices and overall I think the bikes are pretty well setup from the beginning.

Other than that it is just knowing what comes with owning a semi rare bike. The 1380 engine uses special spark plugs that ngk makes for them. They are like 15 bucks each so it isn't too bad but I personally have a spare set of them. The engine calls for a valve check every oil change. It is easy to do and they are adjustable vs using shims. Still it calls for it far more often than other bikes that now are 12 to 15k miles on the service checks vs 6200 miles on the guzzi.

You can find the service code to reset the service needed light on this form that should work with that bike so that isn't a big issue anymore.

Others will be better to speak on long term issues as my audace is only a year old. Overall I've been very happy with it and the build quality. I'd say go nuts on the eldorado if you like it. Get the dealer to give you a copy of the service manual(they can download a pdf of it). With any new bike I'd go behind them and check all of the bolts and make sure they are secured on it when you get it.

O yea one more thing. The oil filter is kinda recessed under the bike which is nice because it helps protect it. That being said a lot of oil filter wrenches will not work. Its a cheap fix but something to look out for. The rear wheel used big enough allen and metric sockets that I did have to go buy a set.

Had no problem getting an oil filter removal tool for use with a 3/8th inch wrench at my local LordCo automotive outlet here in Vancouver/Canada. Cost was about $12 CDN and was extremely high quality.

I took my (2016 Audace) wheel off a few weeks ago as I was worried about comments others had made about MG not greasing the wheel/driveshaft splines at the factory and then the two of them rusting togather. Needn't have worried as mine had been coated in Moly (put a bit more on just for good measure). The only problem I had was getting the LHS wheel nut to come off, God only knows what they used for a torque wrench in the factory or the dealership, but I could not budge it, even with a long bar extension. In the end I got the impact wrench on it and still it put up a good fight

I think it's a given they do run lean, but honestly I have no issues with how the Eldorado runs. Did a tour of Tassie last year and two up fully loaded (over-loaded) it coped easily, even uphill 1st or 2nd gear hairpins it never gave me a moments worry and at 20,000kms no problem with the cross over, the mechanic at the local shop in South Oz where I bought it says he hasn't seen one fracture yet. Fueling might be worth looking at to make it run richer and cooler but that's the only reason I would consider it, ride one 1st and see what you think. Rexxer in Brisbane do a remap for the 1400s for around $400, they have agents around Oz + mods to mufflers and air box if you want to go that route.
PS. A lot of road tests say they are thirsty but they get better as they loosen up, mine averages around 5.5 ltr/100kms, fuel light comes on around 240/250kms but there is still about 5 ltrs left in the tank so 300+kms fuel range is not a problem.

My Audace runs fine too, I run it everywhere in "Veloce" mode and it's as smooth as can be. no kicking or bucking, just smooth progress.

[
PS. A lot of road tests say they are thirsty but they get better as they loosen up, mine averages around 5.5 ltr/100kms, fuel light comes on around 240/250kms but there is still about 5 ltrs left in the tank so 300+kms fuel range is not a problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all this useful information John adding a real world pic is just making me more desperate to get one I have my eye on the one in QLD 20k!

The main issue is you'll be amazed by the Eldorado. Amazing brakes, stability and handling. Crank it up past 5k and the whole package comes together. Scan this site for specific things. I think the cracking exhaust issue is the most annoying I've heard about. But that's an easy fix with Tod's replacement. I find the bike really accessible for maintenance. It's all right there, in the open.

The Japanese would never make this bike. Harley would never. Thankfully there's still an Italy.

How about commuting? I commute to work (24 miles round trips). My son and I take long trips once or twice a year. Last year we went to Nova Scotia on our bikes. I'm 58 200lbs 6',

Finally got time to go to the dealers too see it in the flesh.No demo and no test ride but I spent some time looking carefully and sat on it.
A stunning bike but have to admit I was shocked exactly how big it is and how heavy it felt in the showroom.I think I would get used to that pretty quickly the fact I rode my 1970 ambassador there didn't help as its pretty light!Love the black but thinking a red one would look cool next to the ambo in my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 34
"How about commuting? I commute to work (24 miles round trips). My son and I take long trips once or twice a year. Last year we went to Nova Scotia on our bikes. I'm 58 200lbs 6',"

I'd love to commute on this bike, it's relaxing. I'm not to keen to split lanes but when I do it's not that bad. More of a perceptual thing given how big it is.

But the bike is much more relaxing than my FZ1 for commuting in traffic. Big, comfortable seat, tons of torque, upright position, good road presence. Reasonably nimble in city traffic.

Even though it is a big heavy bike, it rides "small". That was the first thing I noticed. I got rid of a Harley fat boy for the 1400, the MG is physically bigger and heavier in every way until you get moving, then it somehow gets smaller and way more nimble.

I'm still getting used to mine and dte8dom is right on. Being of average height and weight, I just need to be aware of the weight when in a parking lot or parking. As soon as you get going, it handles VERY easy. What a pleasure to ride.

Finally got time to go to the dealers too see it in the flesh.No demo and no test ride but I spent some time looking carefully and sat on it.
A stunning bike but have to admit I was shocked exactly how big it is and how heavy it felt in the showroom.I think I would get used to that pretty quickly the fact I rode my 1970 ambassador there didn't help as its pretty light!Love the black but thinking a red one would look cool next to the ambo in my garage.

You get used to the weight pretty quickly. Up to the time I bought my Cali Custom most of the bikes I rode weighed in at 550 lbs or less. The weight disappears once you are moving. The 1400s feel more nimble than any 700 lb bike should. Only time the weight is an issue for me is pushing it around in the garage or parking lot.

Back