• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Prospective stelvio buyer flat tappet question

Gusable

Tuned and Synch'ed
Currently riding a 2001 r1150gs. Always admired MG bikes from a far. If I were to realistically get a guzzi I think a stelvio would suit my needs well. My budget would be probably 7500k max OTD. So probably a 4v flat tappet bike. What's the chances I could find an honest seller that has put ZDDP oil in the bike and NOT Mobil 1 it's whole life? I don't what "the oil" is in these things but I know what flat tappet vs rollers require. I'd love to get an early stelvio with no cam problems. What should I look for? Thank you! Gus

Currently riding a 2001 r1150gs. Always admired MG bikes from a far. If I were to realistically get a guzzi I think a stelvio would suit my needs well. My budget would be probably 7500k max OTD. So probably a 4v flat tappet bike. What's the chances I could find an honest seller that has put ZDDP oil in the bike and NOT Mobil 1 it's whole life? I don't what "the oil" is in these things but I know what flat tappet vs rollers require. I'd love to get an early stelvio with no cam problems. What should I look for? Thank you! Gus
Well, here's one I did, still for sale, has one of Todds maps in it & a pipe. I burped it to life, know all the owners took care of it. It's had 2 set's of flats in it and now rollers and always good oil.
http://www.mariettasportscar.com/ve...zzi-stelvio-3b895d22109be744933d056a0697d396/

I suppose all engines will break at some point, even those with rollers.
But if this is true, about the engines with flat tappets, I'd like some help. My Stelvio is a 2010 model, model no. ZGULZB005AM111570, engine number is A8 012277. What kit should I buy A, B or C? And what is the spare part number of the spare kit, I have to buy?

I suppose all engines will break at some point, even those with rollers.
But if this is true, about the engines with flat tappets, I'd like some help. My Stelvio is a 2010 model, model no. ZGULZB005AM111570, engine number is A8 012277. What kit should I buy A, B or C? And what is the spare part number of the spare kit, I have to buy?

I suggest you check with your dealer. Guzzi may supply the kit and you just pay for labor. It isn't an easy job to do the conversion. At any rate, the dealer can tell you which kit you need based on the engine number/series.

A 2010 Stelvio can be either an A or B kit as I understand it (and also how it is shown in the picture Todd posted).
You need to have the VIN looked up by a dealer to see which version your specific 2010 needs (as they are not all the same).

I'm thinking of buying a 2013 stelvio 1200 8v with rollerised mod done at 29k miles - these are the cams/followers that came out - does the collective think this wear is likely to have caused further issues of wear deeper in the engine from the missing DLC or is it an acceptable degree of wear and be Ok long term. The bike has apparently done another nearly 2k miles after the mod.

Attachments

• stelvio cam1.jpg
    stelvio cam1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 22
  • stelvio cam2.jpg
    stelvio cam2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 20
  • stelvio cam4.jpg
    stelvio cam4.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
  • stelvio cam5.jpg
    stelvio cam5.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 19
  • stelvio cam6.jpg
    stelvio cam6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 18
  • stelvio cam7.jpg
    stelvio cam7.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 19
I'm thinking of buying a 2013 stelvio 1200 8v with rollerised mod done at 29k miles - these are the cams/followers that came out - does the collective think this wear is likely to have caused further issues of wear deeper in the engine from the missing DLC or is it an acceptable degree of wear and be Ok long term. The bike has apparently done another nearly 2k miles after the mod.

I don't quite understand the "rollerised mod" being done on a 2013 Stelvio. Midway through the 2012 season, Guzzi upgraded all the Stelvios before they went to the dealers. No 2013 model should need the upgrade, since they're rollers already.

However that happened, my 2009 Stelvio went about 40,000 miles on the original flat tappets, which I think might be some sort of record. When it was disassembled for the roller upgrade, the tappets were much discolored but still flat and smooth, no DLC material missing. It was only a short time away from death, however ....

Lannis

I don't quite understand the "rollerised mod" being done on a 2013 Stelvio. Midway through the 2012 season, Guzzi upgraded all the Stelvios before they went to the dealers. No 2013 model should need the upgrade, since they're rollers already . . .
Just this minute found that's not always the case Lannis.
A member on my Stelvio Owners FB Group has just posted that his VIN number indicates an early 2012 Bike, but Bike was obviously not registered until 2013.

I think that is down to the difference between manufactured date and date of registration. In the USA, a motorcycle built as a 2012 model will always be a 2012 model no matter when it is sold or registered. But it seems in some places the same motorcycle can be sold / registered as a later model.

Probably also depends on the particular Country's method of Registration.
In the UK, the Registration Number shows the year it was registered, and the region.
Up until 2001, there was only one registration designation per year, now there are two (March and September).

E.g., my '09' Plate shows it was registered between 1st Mar and 1st Sep 2009. If it was done between 2nd Sep and 28th Feb 2010, it would have been a '59' Plate.

Back