• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New 1400s any known issues before I buy an elderado?

One little annoyance is that the " sealed" headlight tends to gather small gnats inside. The fogging can be lessened by using the headlight instead of the led running light, the theory being that the heat of the lamp dissipates the moisture. This problem varies from bike to bike as does the exhaust cross over tube which self destructs on some, but like mine at 17K miles & no problem. One large upgrade was replacing the Dunlop tires that came on the bike with Avon Cobras, which got 2 to 3 time the mileage and much better handling.

Issues with the Eldorado - YES. I live near Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S. I purchased my Eldorado from EuroCycles of Las Vegas in March of 2017. I had to wait until I could get some time off to go and get it, which was in the beginning of May. I flew out to get the bike and ride it home, hoping for a nice alone vacation of doing nothing but riding, eating, (especially in New Mexico) and taking in scenery. I picked it up on Thursday, and rode it to the hotel. I installed a few items I had picked out for it, rode it a bit, and called it a night. I headed out for my 2000+ mile return trip/vacation Friday morning. My first stop was Hoover Dam, just south of Vegas about 50 miles. Thank God that is where I stopped and did not continue on, or I would have been stranded in the middle of the desert. I went to park the bike at the Hoover Dam, and as I was backing it in I hit the kill switch. But I ended up needing to adjust a bit forward and I hit the starter. The bike was dead. I checked the battery voltage on the gauge and it was 9.9 volts. Luckily, I was right next to a downhill so I bump started it and rode it straight back to the dealer. They assessed the malfunction and found it was the alternator that went out. Not even 300 miles on it! Needless to say, the bike stayed there and I flew home the next day. I contacted Piaggio the next Monday by email to customer service. I gave them until Friday to reply. Nothing. So I called the toll free number and spoke to a very nice gentleman named Miguel (I believe) who assured me that he would most likely be in touch with me later in the day. I never heard back from him. There is much more to the story. I'll continue later.

Tom

I would agree with LuftWolf regarding the headlamp and have also had severe condensation inside the speedo glass (see warranty rant post).
I have phoned Piaggio customer service and to be fair they have contacted me to keep me informed regarding my warranty issues. I would suggest you phone them again.

I would agree with LuftWolf regarding the headlamp and have also had severe condensation inside the speedo glass (see warranty rant post).
I have phoned Piaggio customer service and to be fair they have contacted me to keep me informed regarding my warranty issues. I would suggest you phone them again.

I for one, have never had MG customer service return a phone call or respond to an email. Based on personal experience (and what I've read), MG customer service is practically non-existent in the USA.

Hopefully Wazacruzer has a dealer going to bat for him, but again from personal experience, even that seems to matter very little to MG.

It would appear that MG USA sing from the same hymn sheet as MG Spain, that's why I bypassed them and spoke direct with Piaggio customer services Italy. For me it appears to have worked so far, again, watch this space.

Sorry for the interruption, that four letter word 'work' gets in the way of all my fun. So to continue the story on my Eldorado, I did contact them (customer service) again, leaving a message when I got an answering machine in the middle of the day. I called back again a day later. Same recording. I hung up. Finally, on May 22, 2017; I received an email from Iris at Piaggio Group Americas asking if anyone had been in touch and that they would like to resolve the issue in a timely manner. I am awaiting a reply from Iris, who so far I am okay with. Iris (I honestly don't know if this is a male or female. Iris usually is a female name but is kind of like Pat from SNL). Anyway, we have been back and forth on the issue via email and trying to resolve this. In fact, I am eagerly awaiting a reply today hopefully. That's Piaggio's side. On the dealer side of things, once the salesman had my money communication between us prior to picking up the bike (and then dropping it back off) was minimal. Mainly because he hardly ever answered my queries. The service manager and the mechanic have so far been good to deal with. I never heard a thing from the dealer until I contacted them and spoke with the service manager on May 17th or 18th. He was very polite, and informed me that they were test riding the bike as we spoke. He also said that they had to tear the bike almost completely apart. They also put on a new belt and installed a new battery. They are supposed to cover shipping the bike to me. I should hear from them today or tomorrow. So for now I am on hold and will let you know the rest when I know. BTW, I asked Iris what happened to Miguel, the CSR that said he'd call me back and never did. Iris said that the supervisor's in the New York office (Iris I found out, is west coast) were looking into it.

Tom

Oh yes, Iris informed me that Piaggio is working on their customer relations here in the U.S. -
"As for customer service we are changing the way we manage this process and we are working hard to ensure issues like this do not happen in the future. I am just glad I came across your email and could offer my help without further delay."

Well I hope you get over that initial issue wasacruser as I think you've just been unlucky to have picked one with a dud Alternator. I wouldn't believe that would be a Guzzi assembled item.

Anyhow I can only add that I've done around 45k on my touring and never had a problem. I commute year round and most days around 120-250 Klms with a mix of country roads, freeway and inner city mayhem and I wouldn't be on anything else. Of course I dropped the bags off the back as I'm a serial lane splitter by necessity and it's one of the most agile big bikes you'll sit on and one of the most stable too. If I chose too I could whack on the cruise control and ride the freeway segment hands free the whole way it's that rock solid.

One thing I did find annoying was the seat that comes on a Touring. Weirdly gives you a bum burn after 100 ks so swapped it out for a Cali Custom seat and no issue. Not sure about the Eldorado but you'll have to try and see.

I reckon you won't go wrong on a 1400 what ever one you choose. I would add that it may take you some time to feel totally at one with your machine but once you do, she ain't going anywhere without you.

I've been riding around 45 years and have had many large auto cycles in these years. I won't be changing brands but maybe the Eldorado is my next addition.

Last edited:
I love the seat on my Eldo. It's easy to move around on it, which I like to do on long rides. It's the first motorcycle seat I've had that I can spend all day in. haven't tried the other MG seats except at the dealer.

RE the alternator -- we can get a voltage reading on the gauge? Damn, I'm going to have to read that manual one of these days.

So, it's Tuesday the 30th, and still no response from Iris in customer service. That's three business days. I'm about ready to look into the laws regarding this, maybe an attorney? Believe me, I want my Eldorado and am looking forward to many good rides, but this is just unreal no customer service. Oh, and no contact from the dealer either. I'll update when I hear something from Piaggio Group, so you may never hear from me again! ;-)

I bought my used 1997 V10 Centauro from EuroCycles from their Reno store. They are the biggest collection of lying asshat buffoons I have ever encountered. All they wanted was my money, and then just like wasacruzer, the communication STOPPED. I never received the title in the mail even though they received a Certified Bank Check, cashed it, and then the bike didn't even ship to me for another 3 weeks.

I called and called and only ever got the run-around and voicemail, and never so much as a return phone call. Finally I sent a very pointed email and a man claiming to be "the owner" called me. He said he had fired the salesman and sales manager, and found my title in the bike envelope which had been filed back into their file cabinets. He sent it to me overnight mail, but no real apology or anything.

In retrospect, I wouldn't buy a new 1400 from them if they sold it to me for $10 total.

The dealer told me over a week ago it was fixed. But no communication since. Why am I doing all the work? They and PIAGGIO should be working for me IMO.

At this point it appears that you have nothing to lose by contacting Piaggio - Italy. If that doesn't fix the problem, unfortunately most of your alternate solutions are going to cost $$$ to implement.

Georgia does have what they call a Consumer Protection Unit. Who knows though if this would cover an interstate transaction.

Last edited:
The dealer told me over a week ago it was fixed. But no communication since. Why am I doing all the work? They and PIAGGIO should be working for me IMO.
What other brands have you owned prior to a Guzzi?
Not that this will help any... but this has been common practice forever with the brand, regardless of ownership; Originally Guzzi S.p.A., then Aprilia, now Piaggio.
For those reading this as first time buyers, support for your Guzzi is only as strong as your dealer. Support them, and you should be able to count on them for the most part. Guzzi is a boutique brand, so when purchased by someone used to owning other well-supported brands, know that you will likely be quickly disappointed and/or frustrated.
Guzzi owners have almost always been a 'solve your own problem' kind of owner. If you expect anything but, best to move on to another brand sorry to say. I know it doesn't help your problem @wasacruzer -- just know it takes a lot more hands on with Piaggio/Guzzi. Lean on your dealer you bought it from... not with threats, but with daily calls. Squeaky wheel logic here.

Back