• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First Brit review on new V7 III

JACoH

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Latest issue of MCN (MotorCycle News) from England, has report on the V7 III Special, and the tester loves it. He gives it 4 stars, only detraction is "limited ground clearance", but says "the bounce and jolt from the poorly damped V7 II's shocks has been replaced by a well controlled rear and the V7 III now turns with proper agility." He says the new engine "thumps and vibrates pleasingly" and " when you get to 5000 rpm, the V-twin subtly changes character and smoothes off, leaving you with an engine that feels refined and plush with virtually no vibration." "Shifting is unbelievably smooth and all backed up by a lighter-than-light clutch action and delightful throttle response." Sounds good to me.

Yes just read it, the lighter than light clutch really got my taste buds going. I know the V7 11 clutch which I have is not heavy compared to some older Guzzis but I am having problems with my left arm and a lighter clutch would help. A lot of new bikes now have a slip assist clutch if the V7 111 is lighter I would like to know how they have done it with a single plate clutch. Steve.

Oddly enough, that link to the MCN website does not have the same review as the digital version of the actual newspaper. I get it through pocketmags.com, where you can also get a single issue to read only on these devices, or a subscription.

Yes just read it, the lighter than light clutch really got my taste buds going. I know the V7 11 clutch which I have is not heavy compared to some older Guzzis but I am having problems with my left arm and a lighter clutch would help. A lot of new bikes now have a slip assist clutch if the V7 111 is lighter I would like to know how they have done it with a single plate clutch. Steve.
Hi, Oldlegs. As I've just posted on another thread, I changed the angle of the clutch so my wrist and hand are in line. It solved the problem for me.

Hi, Oldlegs. As I've just posted on another thread, I changed the angle of the clutch so my wrist and hand are in line. It solved the problem for me.
Thanks for the reply Mr Pootle but they are all lined up as you suggest, my arm is getting worse and I find myself with my thumb in front of the bar same side as my fingers, this allows my wrist to twist out a little and less painful. When riding another bike I have with a lighter clutch and slightly pulled back bars I have less discomfort. Steve.

So, I picked up my new V7 III Special on Saturday. The clutch is as easy to pull as my old Honda 90 of 50 years ago! And yes, I also have arthritis in my hands as well as wrist issues. I had a Kawasaki Z650 with a slip assist clutch which was super light and this is equal to it. I rode it 130 miles home and love it, shifting is as noted in the article, you almost wonder if it really is going in gear, it is so fluid and smooth. I think the foot pegs are too wide, might be cutting them about an inch shorter, they grab my pants when putting leg down.

So, I picked up my new V7 III Special on Saturday. The clutch is as easy to pull as my old Honda 90 of 50 years ago! And yes, I also have arthritis in my hands as well as wrist issues. I had a Kawasaki Z650 with a slip assist clutch which was super light and this is equal to it. I rode it 130 miles home and love it, shifting is as noted in the article, you almost wonder if it really is going in gear, it is so fluid and smooth. I think the foot pegs are too wide, might be cutting them about an inch shorter, they grab my pants when putting leg down.
My V711 has a lovely smooth 1st gear engagement and gear change but if the clutch is so much lighter on the V111 I would like to know how they have achieved this. Cutting an inch off your new bikes foot pegs sounds a bit drastic, perhaps you could find some cheep replacements to modify and save the originals. Really glad you love your new bike. Steve.

Congratulation on the new bike JACoH!!:clap:

I'm looking forward to more about it from you.

It's yours now, so you can do anything you anything you want to make it your own..... GO FOR IT!!! :rock:

Paul

Here is a link to a more full version of the same article posted by roadscum - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2017/june/moto-guzzi-v7-iii/

I will reiterate the article's author and JACoH - I am delightfully surprised at both the low clutch effort, the good clutch modulation, and the precision of the gearbox. I expected the worst based on the reviews that described the gearbox as agricultural.

The gears do "clunk" a bit when engaging...it sounds a bit Harley-like I must admit. Neutral can still be a little touchy to get at...but I'm getting better at it.

I am also delighted with the exhaust note - I figured I would change the exhaust quickly, but I see no need to change it now. The YouTube vids made the V7 i & iis very quiet - my iii sounds great at idle and at power - I don't need it any louder than that.

If your vIII is loud, you should check where the mufflers connect to the pipe. There is supposed to be a gasket of asbestos looking material. On my VIII it fell out on one side and the bike sounded really nice. I had the shop replace it on my fist service and bike is quiet again.

I have ridden the V7 III. I did not find the clutch "lighter than light" by any means, perhaps a little lighter than on my older V7 II but nowhere near as light as the hot knife through butter one-finger pull on my Enfield Classic EFI-500. That has received a better than good clutch cable (Made in England) routed without any tight turns or twists. I'm thinking my V7 II (ABS 2015) may well be due for a new cable with a less convoluted run.

Latest issue of MCN (MotorCycle News) from England, has report on the V7 III Special, and the tester loves it. He gives it 4 stars, only detraction is "limited ground clearance", but says "the bounce and jolt from the poorly damped V7 II's shocks has been replaced by a well controlled rear and the V7 III now turns with proper agility." He says the new engine "thumps and vibrates pleasingly" and " when you get to 5000 rpm, the V-twin subtly changes character and smoothes off, leaving you with an engine that feels refined and plush with virtually no vibration." "Shifting is unbelievably smooth and all backed up by a lighter-than-light clutch action and delightful throttle response." Sounds good to me.

It's great to read past articles about new (at the time) Moto Guzzi models.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2020-moto-guzzi-v7-updates/

Last edited:
Back