• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My V7 finally let me down....

Wahoo650

Tuned and Synch'ed
So, pretty much since new the only niggle I've had with my 2014 stone is that every so often it would just cut out. Usually catch itself and be fine for weeks or even months at a time. I've done all the recommended fixes, re-route melting clutch cable, removed evap system (I'm in the U.S.), replaced plug caps, re-routed plug wires away from tank where they have worn through the paint, and finally, replaced fuel filter with all metal type. Haven't had a bit of trouble since February, over 1,000 miles. So Anyway, had a nice ride Sunday morning of 100+ miles. Sunday afternoon did my usual weekly re-torque, and inspection to make sure nothing is trying to fall off. All inspects good. So this morning I jump on it to come to work, starts fine, rides off fine, get about three miles and she cuts out, then catches, cuts-catches- repeat about a hundred times while I nurse her to a parking lot. By this time I notice a bad, hot smell- look down and both pipes at the cat con are smoking blue. Parked her and left a message for the shop, who has already (at 7:45 am) responded that they will be picking it up where I left her. God bless the crew at ClevelandMoto! Sad thing is, I thought I had one of the good ones. Thankfully, I don't hit my two years until August, but I need all my fingers and toes and more to count all the V7's I know of that have had similar tails of woe. Will share what the shop finds- I'm guessing ECU and of course replace both mufflers.

The blue at the cats indicate fuel that was not burned in the engine. Either excess fuel, or plugs not firing properly.
"cuts out, then catches, cuts-catches- repeat about a hundred times" sounds like plugs not firing properly. Check for loose wires at plugs, plug caps and coils.
I had similar cut out behavior recently, but without the burnt cats. It was a loose fuel injector connector.

The blue at the cats indicate fuel that was not burned in the engine. Either excess fuel, or plugs not firing properly.
"cuts out, then catches, cuts-catches- repeat about a hundred times" sounds like plugs not firing properly. Check for loose wires at plugs, plug caps and coils.
I had similar cut out behavior recently, but without the burnt cats. It was a loose fuel injector connector.
Agreed it's excess fuel that burned up cats. But to happen so drastically and quickly on both sides limits possibilities to those things common to both. Odd thing is never gave a check engine light or codes. Dealer has it and will hope to find the root cause. It's just upsetting to have fixed all of the "known" issues these things have and still have a catastrophic failure. Understand things just happen, but they sure seem to happen to a much higher percentage of these bikes than is the norm. Right now it's got three things going for it, 1) It's under warranty still. 2) Was purchased as a drastically marked down left over, so I won't lose my shirt on it if I decide to move on. 3) I love it, so don't really want to move on.

Sounds to me like your dealer is interested in taking good care of ya...... and that's a good thing. I hope this is nothing more then a minor inconvenience, and you're back on the road soon.

Paul

Sounds to me like your dealer is interested in taking good care of ya...... and that's a good thing. I hope this is nothing more then a minor inconvenience, and you're back on the road soon.

Paul
Yes, I've got to say, the crew at ClevelandMoto are awesome. Known them for a while now and am always impressed with the level of customer service. Upside is it gives me a chance to put a few miles on my old girl, 1980 Yamaha XS850 Special which I have almost completely ignored since getting the V7.

It's just upsetting to have fixed all of the "known" issues these things have and still have a catastrophic failure.
Yes, people tend to forget the fact these are still very small quantity hand-built machines, and things happen. I wouldn't call your issue "catastrophic" - more of a major inconvenience. I now own(ed) a total of six small blocks, all have been giving stellar service, even with rental duties... but all are GT-Rx® modded.

18k on my 2010. These are dependable bikes with minimum service. Most all modern machines have hiccups though. Pick any brand, they all need a looky now and then.

True enough. Catastrophic is a tad strong of a description. I do have 6400+ miles on it already and am still smitten.

Hey how is your bike now? Any updates? I'm having similar issues and I'm in the same boat as you, just feelinnnloek it's one problem after another? Would love an update and see if it's all fixed?

Hey how is your bike now? Any updates? I'm having similar issues and I'm in the same boat as you, just feelinnnloek it's one problem after another? Would love an update and see if it's all fixed?
You said in one of your posts today after you had it at the dealer for a flat tire it started running different or not good. Ask the dealer if the updated the map or anything when it was in for service.

You said in one of your posts today after you had it at the dealer for a flat tire it started running different or not good. Ask the dealer if the updated the map or anything when it was in for service.

Hey, yeah I'm planning on taking it back to them, I've been riding as much as i can in order to make a list to give them of what to look out for. I will bring that up to them. Could that be a reason? An updated map? So far from what I've read there are different solutions by lots of different people. The one that always comes up is the O2 Sensors. Do I sound crazy when I said that after the tire change that my bike felt like the power and grit of it deminished? Or is this something a fellow v7 rider can at least understand?
Thanks for you reply!

No real update yet, still at the dealer. They did say that the valves were way out- one side tight (the side they replaced a leaking head gasket on last December, and the other was way, way, way loose. Again, they did the service last December, about 1,000 miles ridden since. Wouldn't even start when they got to looking at it, after properly setting valves, she's running. Just waiting on replacement pipes now. Up side is all work & parts being covered. And it's given me a chance to put some real miles on my '80 XS850. Boy I love the wail of that triple! Hoping to get it back soon though, will post up how it all comes out.

No real update yet, still at the dealer. They did say that the valves were way out- one side tight (the side they replaced a leaking head gasket on last December, and the other was way, way, way loose. Again, they did the service last December, about 1,000 miles ridden since. Wouldn't even start when they got to looking at it, after properly setting valves, she's running. Just waiting on replacement pipes now. Up side is all work & parts being covered. And it's given me a chance to put some real miles on my '80 XS850. Boy I love the wail of that triple! Hoping to get it back soon though, will post up how it all comes out.

Awesome man, thanks for the update. Hoping all work out for you.

Picked her up last night. Put a short 20 miles or so on her and all is well. Dealer (at my approval) put over 100 on her before giving the thumbs up. As stated before, valves on one jug extremely loose, on other jug tight, 1000 miles after last service. Thankfully everything covered under warranty. Dealer performed all work necessary, including picking her up where she stranded me. Moto Guzzi replaced both mufflers, how ever we are still in discussions on replacing the head pipes as they are now much bluer than before, and the side that caused all the trouble are actually a tad gold pretty much full length now. Will see how it goes, but since that doesn't effect anything I'm not that bothered by it. (Eyeballing a 2-1 header anyway). I can't say enough about what a great dealer Cleveland Moto is. James, John, Renae and the rest of the crew are awesome to deal with! Also, I appreciate MG standing behind their warranty, especially with only 6 weeks left on it. And for the record, it was AMAZING to ride her again. The Yam 850 is officially for sale again....

Picked her up last night. Put a short 20 miles or so on her and all is well. Dealer (at my approval) put over 100 on her before giving the thumbs up. As stated before, valves on one jug extremely loose, on other jug tight, 1000 miles after last service. Thankfully everything covered under warranty. Dealer performed all work necessary, including picking her up where she stranded me. Moto Guzzi replaced both mufflers, how ever we are still in discussions on replacing the head pipes as they are now much bluer than before, and the side that caused all the trouble are actually a tad gold pretty much full length now. Will see how it goes, but since that doesn't effect anything I'm not that bothered by it. (Eyeballing a 2-1 header anyway). I can't say enough about what a great dealer Cleveland Moto is. James, John, Renae and the rest of the crew are awesome to deal with! Also, I appreciate MG standing behind their warranty, especially with only 6 weeks left on it. And for the record, it was AMAZING to ride her again. The Yam 850 is officially for sale again....
With some elbow grease and the right cleaner you can typically polish that color out of the pipes. It is just on the surface.

Picked her up last night.

Wahoo - so what was the root cause of the issue? Valves being off caused unburnt gas to leak into the exhaust? And why were they so far off after only 1000 miles?

Hope everything has been rock solid since this problem.

Wahoo - so what was the root cause of the issue? Valves being off caused unburnt gas to leak into the exhaust? And why were they so far off after only 1000 miles?

Hope everything has been rock solid since this problem.

I'd like to know this as well. My bike has had a few similar issues that you speak of above. I'm hoping it's the caps which I'll replace, but I've had similar issues as you mentioned as well as sputtering when riding at a constant speed with sporadic loss in power by around 500 rpm (feels like I"m driving a turbo when it reengages). Found a gasket that was misaligned and leaking oil around the plug. That was fixed but now still have the sputtering issue and issue where the bike won't start properly.

That was fixed but now still have the sputtering issue and issue where the bike won't start properly.
I had an issue a while back where both my plugs were not sparking (I was literally running on one cylinder) Checked the boots, and the wiring, but turned out my spark plugs were just grimy. This only really happened to me when riding 1+ hours at stop and go speeds in Austin traffic, and with the engine building up temp. The bike would start and run, luckily for me since I had to make it home, but would die constantly and had a horrible idle. Haven't had any issues since (this was about 2 years ago now) but I also don't tax myself or my bike with long clutch in/clutch out slow speed rides in traffic anymore.

That was fixed but now still have the sputtering issue and issue where the bike won't start properly.
Well you have little excuse since you have easy access to me... drop it off and I’ll resolve it for you. ;)

Back