• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

USER CODE screw-up?

roadventure

GT Reference
Well, yesterday I was going to meet a group for a ride. I go out, put the key in the ignition of my 2014 California Custom and am faced with "Enter User Code". WTF!?!? I don't know nothin' about no user code! So, out of frustration and lack of time, I got on my Yamaha Raider and rode away to meet up with the group.

Upon arriving back home again, I re-read the user manual which has very little helpful information about a user code except for changing it and for that you need to know..... (wait for it!). Yup, that's right, you need to know the user code. As I already stated, I don't know nothin' about no user code! I finally discovered that in the morning I had grabbed the spare key which is why I had the dash asking for a user code. After I got back home I used my original key and everything worked as normal. But, I could not leave well enough alone. Read on.

So, after some reading here and some guessing, I surmised that the original user code had never been set. On advise from this forum I set it to the service code 34534. That seemed like a good idea. So, then I tried my spare key again and when faced with the "enter user code" prompt I entered 34534 and the bike started. But, I don't want to enter that code every time I need to use my spare key. I had read in the user manual that the instrument panel is able to activate keys. I figure, why not! I can program my spare key to work learn the user code so I won't need to enter the code with the spare key. What a great Idea!

I proceed to start the bike using the spare key and then go to the MENU to change the user code for the spare key. I attempt this and then am faced with a "1" in the display and a counting number below it. WTF? What is this? I don't know so I shut off the ignition.

Now I have the RED warning light triangle with the exclamation mark on. Why? What does this mean? What did I break?

Also, I find that now, when I try to change the user code, I am not offered the choice to enter a new code.

What is going on?

If the 1400 is like others, the procedure you need to perform is the Modify Key procedure, not change user code for the spare. BTW, the spare should have been programmed at the factory or by the dealer.

Function MODIFY KEYS

This function can be used:
1) in case of key loss, the dealer can cancel the lost key
2) to activate up to 4 keys
3) if necessary use a new key ignition lock and memorize a new set of keys.
in the first phase it is requested to insert the user code and after giving confirmation that the key is memorized (1st key), it is
requested to insert the other keys .
The procedure ends after four keys are memorised or after 20 seconds

If the 1400 is like others, the procedure you need to perform is the Modify Key procedure, not change user code for the spare. BTW, the spare should have been programmed at the factory or by the dealer.

Function MODIFY KEYS

This function can be used:
1) in case of key loss, the dealer can cancel the lost key
2) to activate up to 4 keys
3) if necessary use a new key ignition lock and memorize a new set of keys.
in the first phase it is requested to insert the user code and after giving confirmation that the key is memorized (1st key), it is
requested to insert the other keys .
The procedure ends after four keys are memorised or after 20 seconds

Okay. I saw that in the user's manual. However, any idea on why I now have the red dash light illuminated?

Are both keys working, everything normal except for the red dash light?

The original key is still working. The second key is not and the user code is not accepted when it is tried. I have not ridden the bike so I am not sure if everything is 100% normal, but the red dash light is remaining on when I start the engine.

Have you gone into diagnostics to check/clear any codes?

John, the Cali 1400 doesn't have a "diagnostics" ability in the dashboard. It has a "SERVICE" area, which offers "RESET COUPON" (clear the spanner), "CHANGE KEYS", and "CODE RECOVERY".

To clear the codes, you need a dealer with PADS, Guzzidiag, or TechnoResearch Centurion-E or perhaps a dedicated TR Alaris for an Aprilia RSV4 which also uses the Magneti Marelli IAW 7SM ECU.

They're making it harder and harder for us.

I proceed to start the bike using the spare key and then go to the MENU to change the user code for the spare key. I attempt this and then am faced with a "1" in the display and a counting number below it. WTF? What is this? I don't know so I shut off the ignition.

You changed the user code for the spare key. Now, it's waiting for you to insert the No. 1 key and probably indicating the time you have left to do this. Obviously, you cannot have two keys with different user codes married to the same ECU.

Now I have the RED warning light triangle with the exclamation mark on. Why? What does this mean? What did I break?

Probably pointing out that you have attempted to use two keys with different user codes.

Also, I find that now, when I try to change the user code, I am not offered the choice to enter a new code.

What is going on?

This could be a tough one. Try the other key, and see if it will let you initiate the "CHANGE KEYS". Or select "CODE RECOVERY" which will ask for two keys and then ask for a new user code (from memory, I think this is how it works).

Good luck, and let's know how you get on.

John, the Cali 1400 doesn't have a "diagnostics" ability in the dashboard. It has a "SERVICE" area, which offers "RESET COUPON" (clear the spanner), "CHANGE KEYS", and "CODE RECOVERY".

To clear the codes, you need a dealer with PADS, Guzzidiag, or TechnoResearch Centurion-E or perhaps a dedicated TR Alaris for an Aprilia RSV4 which also uses the Magneti Marelli IAW 7SM ECU.

They're making it harder and harder for us.

Thanks Dave. I won't bother looking for a diagnostics screen. You know, if more and more stuff is going to require dealer intervention I sure do wish dealers were a bit more accessible. Here in the U.S. I am happy to say that I am never more than 500 miles from my nearest Moto Guzzi dealer. :(

You changed the user code for the spare key. Now, it's waiting for you to insert the No. 1 key and probably indicating the time you have left to do this. Obviously, you cannot have two keys with different user codes married to the same ECU.

Probably pointing out that you have attempted to use two keys with different user codes.

This could be a tough one. Try the other key, and see if it will let you initiate the "CHANGE KEYS". Or select "CODE RECOVERY" which will ask for two keys and then ask for a new user code (from memory, I think this is how it works).

Good luck, and let's know how you get on.

Dave,

Thanks for the input. I'll give your suggestions a try when I get home from work today.

Dave,

Thanks for the input. I'll give your suggestions a try when I get home from work today.

Dave, it's a long shot but the dealer I got my bike from uses the last 5 numbers in the vin code on the head stock to programme the keys, may be worth a try. Now I will either have to change it or kill you all.
John.

Dave, it's a long shot but the dealer I got my bike from uses the last 5 numbers in the vin code on the head stock to programme the keys, may be worth a try. Now I will either have to change it or kill you all.
John.

John,

My biker never had a user code. I put one in and that is where my problems started. It is my fault that I got things mixed up. I am going to contact my nearest dealer tomorrow to see what they can do to help.

Well, yesterday I was going to meet a group for a ride. I go out, put the key in the ignition of my 2014 California Custom and am faced with "Enter User Code". WTF!?!? I don't know nothin' about no user code! So, out of frustration and lack of time, I got on my Yamaha Raider and rode away to meet up with the group.

What is going on?

Just a follow-up on what is going on here...

I contacted Europa Machinna and made an appointment for them to attach their MG PADS to my California and get my user code snafu straightened out. I am hoping to leave them with both keys able to start the bike without the user code entry and to have the user code input to the number of my choice. Wish me luck! :)

Just a follow-up on what is going on here...

I contacted Europa Machinna and made an appointment for them to attach their MG PADS to my California and get my user code snafu straightened out. I am hoping to leave them with both keys able to start the bike without the user code entry and to have the user code input to the number of my choice. Wish me luck! :)
I caused the same red triangle issue on my Eldorado. I had a key issue when I purchased the bike (too long of a story to give all of the details), in which I only had one working key and a second physically damaged key. the dealer sent me two new blank keys, which I had cut by a local locksmith. After finding the service code on this site, I decided to try programming the keys. Through trial and error, I realized that when you program a new key, you have to program all of the keys you have, as I believe the programming procedure generates a new identifying code whenever it is performed. This means that your original working key is no longer compatible if you did not program it along with the new key. I believe the red triangle comes on to alert you that you only have one key programmed, and no spare. Try going into the service menu again, and perform the change keys procedure on every key in your possession, up to four keys. After you have at least two working, programmed keys, I'm pretty sure the red triangle will stay off.

I caused the same red triangle issue on my Eldorado. I had a key issue when I purchased the bike (too long of a story to give all of the details), in which I only had one working key and a second physically damaged key. the dealer sent me two new blank keys, which I had cut by a local locksmith. After finding the service code on this site, I decided to try programming the keys. Through trial and error, I realized that when you program a new key, you have to program all of the keys you have, as I believe the programming procedure generates a new identifying code whenever it is performed. This means that your original working key is no longer compatible if you did not program it along with the new key. I believe the red triangle comes on to alert you that you only have one key programmed, and no spare. Try going into the service menu again, and perform the change keys procedure on every key in your possession, up to four keys. After you have at least two working, programmed keys, I'm pretty sure the red triangle will stay off.

FrankZ,

Been there, done that. And that is how I got into this mess. I am going to get my "local" dealer to straighten it out with their MG PADS diagnostic rather than getting in any deeper.

Well, I am sad to say that after traveling 80 miles one-way to my nearest dealer and paying about two hours labor it has been determined that the dash on the MG California can't be accessed by PADS and also there is no known method in this world to reset the dash to default settings that every new California comes with from MG. I am being told that there are no codes to be read from the ECU and that the cash can't be accessed due to the red warning light being on. I am not sure I am buying this story but it is the best one I have for now.

That sounds like a load of BS from a bunch that don't know what they're doing. It's sad when the staff of an authorized dealer are so uninformed about a product they are paid to take care of. I think more training courses are in order.

Well, I am sad to say that after traveling 80 miles one-way to my nearest dealer and paying about two hours labor it has been determined that the dash on the MG California can't be accessed by PADS and also there is no known method in this world to reset the dash to default settings that every new California comes with from MG. I am being told that there are no codes to be read from the ECU and that the cash can't be accessed due to the red warning light being on. I am not sure I am buying this story but it is the best one I have for now.

This would be a damn good reason to stay away from this incompetent dealer.

Of course PADS can access the ECU, and before the service code was discovered it was the only way to reset the spanner icon.

I suggest you now relearn your keys without the help of PADS. You were on the right track some time ago, but didn't present the second key. If you go into "MENU", "SERVICE", enter the service code, and then select "CODE RECOVERY". It will ask you to insert your two keys, and then offer the chance to change the user code. Since your keys had different codes assigned to them, this is your chance to make amends.

Good luck.

Dave, don't know if this is any help but from the AF1 racing site, all bikes come from the factory with the user code set to 00000, so if your bike has never been re-coded it should be 00000.

Back