• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stalling or Stumbling After 1st Cold Start

canuck1969

GT Reference
GT Contributor
All

Was helping out someone on another forum who had a stumbling and staling after the 1st cold start. Would hit the starter and the bike would slowly chug to life and then stumble and stall or idle like crap and then stall unless some throttle was given. The second start after the stall the bike would run normally as if nothing had happened. Would idle fine.

Turns out mine starting doing it also on the last couple of weeks so had a working example in my garage. People were telling him to remove or bypass the stepper but as usual I didn't buy that as you should have to remove or bypass something to get a bike to run like is used to. I suspected that the stepper was just gummy and would stick on that first start. Once the second start would happen immediately after the stepper would release and work normally. My suspicions proved to be correct.

I pulled the battery and battery bucket and drain to access the stepper hose from the air box. It is a "U" shaped hose from the back top of the air box to the inlet of the stepper. That is where it is on the 2012 +. Not sure on the previous years. It has a clamp on the air box side. Removed the hose and blew some carb cleaner using the long straw from SeaFoam spray in the stepper valve I then replaced the battery without the bucket leaving the straw in the stepper inlet. I then sprayed some seafoam in the stepper while the bike was running. Not much, maybe a couple of 3 second sprays, just enough to hear the motor idle go down. I then turned it off and put everything back together. Started it up to burn off the seafoam and let it idle for about 5 minutes while the seafoam cleared out. Then shut it down. Started no problem.

Started the bike this morning from sitting all night and fire right up with no stumble or stalling on the first attempt. Started right away and settled into a steady idle. Issue resolved.

I have preached for a long time that most apparent issues on this bike have simple solutions. If something does not run the way as it once did then hit it, clean it, repair it, or replace it. In that order. You should never have to permanently remove or bypass a part on a bike to get it to work as it once did. Bandaid solutions just cover up the root of the problem.

I've never looked for where this stepper motor is. You don't have a picture do you by chance? Great post by the way!

No picture sorry.

Just follow the black hose on the backside of each throttle body. They lead to the stepper motor that is directly in the middle of the two TBs.

If u have the tank off easy to see. Bolted to the middle support bracket of the TBs. Black with a electrical connector on it. May be a pic in the manual

I've been using that method to clear out steppers for years. I has been posted on this forum before.

Prior to heading out on my summer trip I figured I should clean the stepper motor (amongst other work). I was surprised when I exposed the U-tube from the airbox that the ear clamp was still tight but the hose was off the airbox. I am not sure if this is a factory issue or if the previous owner was yarding pieces out for some reason and never connected it again. Not sure how long it has been sucking dirt, but it is clean and connected again. Thanks Canuck for the post.

Back