• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rode two new Triumphs

heyzeus

Tuned and Synch'ed
So I rode the new Triumph Bobber and the Street twin. One was the 1200ht motor. The other was a 900ht motor. Both well executed. The Bobber I did not like until I rode it. After that I kinda fell in love with it. The motor is fantastic. The 900 motor has a power band similar to the new V7 III. Triumph has really improved with there new line of bikes. So I now have a harder decision. A new V7 III or a new bonny. The V7 is priced so much better. Plus I love Guzzi. Although I have never owned a Triumph. I need to stop buying bikes. I have a problem.

Ease of maintenance/service, shaft drive, more fuel range,and lighter weight tip the scale in favor of the Guzzi V7 for me, but I wish they had a stronger dealer network. As always........ your priorities may differ.

Paul

the new street twin has a 12L tank but very efficient and many can do 2 hours (~150 miles) between stops. Still in addition to what raodscum mentioned, I like air cooled V twins. Weight is a turn off for me for triumph new street twin & the Bonneville.

here is a thought: go to a Triumph/Guzzi dealer and put the bikes next to each other then pick one, p.s. leave your wallet at home :)

the new street twin has a 12L tank but very efficient and many can do 2 hours (~150 miles) between stops. Still in addition to what raodscum mentioned, I like air cooled V twins. Weight is a turn off for me for triumph new street twin & the Bonneville.

here is a thought: go to a Triumph/Guzzi dealer and put the bikes next to each other then pick one, p.s. leave your wallet at home :)
You guys act like I can have only one girlfriend. I am lucky and fortunate to own many bikes. This would be an additional bike not a replacement bike.

You guys act like I can have only one girlfriend. I am lucky and fortunate to own many bikes. This would be an additional bike not a replacement bike.

heyzeus, Are you seriously considering introducing a brit into your Italian thoroughbred stable?

JUST KIDDING.

Variety is the spice of life. Your stable, your choice, your money. Go with your gut.

Looking at the ponies in your corral I'd say why not a Triumph.
However I "borrowed" a Triumph (America?) from a local dealer and was able to put some miles on it.
After about an hour it got kinda boring.
No complaints about the bike it ran & handles as well as I expected it to but it just didn't hold my attention very long.

That is the exact reason why i bought the v7 classic instead of a Bonnie.

The balance is perfekt and it sticks to the road, and engine is super smooth... In other words "booring as hell"

I like the feel of a rumbling engine, and the skill requirements needed to make a guzzi bend perfekt.

Anyone can ride a Triumph. Booring...

John Backlund, post: 133010, member: 17945"]Anyone can ride either, both are very easy to ride, and both require minimal skills to have a good time on.

After a few thousand miles on my Guzzi, one of my thoughts is that the V7 is an almost perfect 'entry level' motorcycle rather than, say, a Sportster 883.[/QUOTE]

I dont agree

Yes anyone can ride either, obviously.

But to make the v7 gently Kiss the tarmack with its pegs, you have to work.
The Bonnie almost automaticly bends the corners, With litle to no effort. Less skill is needed.

Or maybe its just me becorse of my weight 95 kg.

.... But to make the v7 gently Kiss the tarmack with its pegs, you have to work.
The Bonnie almost automaticly bends the corners, With litle to no effort. Less skill is needed.

I don't buy my motorcycles to have a wrestling match with them in the curves to feel I've 'Mastered' them. I much prefer a machine that works with me as much as possible, and if a bike feels like it's reading your mind and turns with little drama and effort, I'm all for it.

What you're actually saying with this statement is that the Bonneville is a better motorcycle, and can be ridden harder and faster than the Guzzi V7 III Special can with the same, or less, effort, because the Guzzi has inferior suspension to the Triumph and because of that, the Guzzi is more challenging to ride well.

If the Triumph bores you at the speeds the Guzzi is a challenge at, just open the Triumph's throttle until a higher level of challenge is found. Be assured, it's there.

Regardless of all this back and forth about the V7 and Triumph, I don't have any complaints about my V7's handling, it is what it is, it's not the best, and if it becomes detrimental to my enjoyment of the bike I'll spend some dollars and upgrade things until I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
If you want a booring effortless bike, the Bonnie is Absolutely the better choice.

If you want a bike that is rare, has character, is a fun challenging ride and you will not see one infront of every wannabe hipster Caffè .
Then you buy a guzzi. And you have money to spare for some great gear, that will last aslong as the guzzi.

My thoughts.

Well, having owned a 2002 Triumph T-100 Bonneville for a number of years, and counting it among the top ten of the fifty-eight motorcycles that I've owned, I must admit that your negativity towards such a great-looking, great running, machine does confound me a bit, especially because it's from a person who likes the V7 so much. The bikes have much more in common than they have differences, particularly when compared to the machines offered by other makers.

I don't think I've never encountered someone who disparaged a particular motorcycle because of it's relative competency, but that's ok, we like what we like.

The 1200cc Triumph T120 Bonneville will remain at the top of my 'must buy' list, and it will live happily alongside my V7.

Cheers!

Well I bought a 2018 Triumph Bobber. I just could not get it out of my head. I love the ride and the look. Funny thing was I did not like the look until I rode it. Riding it changed something inside of me. It really is a great bike. I carry a small fuel tank with me in the saddle bags to compensate for the low tank range.

Attachments

• IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 42
Looks like a 70 Bonneville also lurking in your garage. I had one from new, best looking one they ever produced IMHO. I sold it to buy a Trident, I wish I had enough money to keep both but times were hard. No Triumphs now.

Looks like a 70 Bonneville also lurking in your garage. I had one from new, best looking one they ever produced IMHO. I sold it to buy a Trident, I wish I had enough money to keep both but times were hard. No Triumphs now.
Not my garage, that was at the dealer before I picked it up.

I'll bet money that I'll own a new T120 Bonneville by no later than this time next year.

Probably this one....
IMG 20170809 100907961 HDR

It's a 2018 T120 that I saw when we stopped at Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa during our imprompu 'Escape The Sturgis Rally' car trip eastwards to Minnesota and Iowa.

This is about as close to a 'must have' motorcycle as I've seen in the past decade....not counting my new V7 III Special, of course.

Back