• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi V7 dies with "clacking" sound and won't start again

frnco

Tuned and Synch'ed
This is what happened to my V7 II 2016 (serviced for my first 600miles a month ago btw...):

I was riding at low speed, trying to find a parking spot, so I could have been riding ar 10mph or less, and the bike was slowing down...
at one point I hear a weird clacking noise (not a click but more a loud clack!)

...the bike dies with sputtering sounds....and I try to start it but it does weird sounds until it doesn't do any sounds anymore ....but just a clack.

I read out there the click or clack can be the starter/solenoid etc... but my case seems different from what I read/watched online...

usually people find bikes not working the day after a night in the garage or something...

what concerns me is that it did happen while it was running...

I even thought it was the friction or the engine that broke ... not the battery death or bad connections...

please help!

thanks

OK This is kinda weird.
There used to be a radio show called "Click & Clack The Tappet Brothers".
People would call in & the brothers would get then to describe the problem complete with sound effects.
It was a great show.

Now for serious.
It's difficult to diagnose with the info you supplied so lets try questions & answers.
First it's not the starter/solenoid thing, that would show up on starting the bike not slowing down.

What gear were you in?
I ask because if you were in a higher gear you may have been lugging the engine causing it to stall.
You may want to check the "kill" switch & make sure you did not hit it & shut the bike off.

Was the bike moving (not sure how to word this) calmly, steady or was it bucking & jumping at slow speed?
Again bucking/jumping could be lugging or a fuel issue or a clogged air filter.

How were you riding before slowing down in the parking lot?
If you had been out for a "Hi-speed" ride you may have excess oil in the air filter.
The engine crankcase vents to the air filter & it is "normal" for the V7 to push oil into the air box.
If you are capable of checking the air filter please do. If there is oil in there it will have to be cleaned & there are threads on here to fix the issue.

How did you get the bike home?
Did it finally start or did you trailer it?

If it started how did it run?

if you trailered it: Was it easy to push or was there a drag like the brake was partially on?

I think i know the clacking sound your talking about. I was practicing slow speed maneuvers in an empty parking lot. At some point the bike started slowing down and clacked off. I think it was just getting too hot, (100+ F) that day and all under 10 mph.

The clacking noise may have been from the very low rpms before it dies, it was for me. I gave it a 5 minute rest before trying to start it again and all was normal. Just my experience with the clack.

(sorry for the delay)

Thank guys for so many interesting point of views
  • yes it was a hot day more than 92 degree
  • yes i was going 5-10mph trying to find a parking spot
  • yes I was probably in 2nd gear or even 3rd, can't remember
  • I commute everyday so my speed is always 25-30mph... I'm not a crazy rider
  • "if you trailered it: Was it easy to push or was there a drag like the brake was partially on?" yes i felt a drag despite was in neutral!

... here some updates:

I brought the moto to the dealership which, luckily was close to where the bike died.

Verdict:

They said they have to change the entire engine!

it's under warranty so I don't pay a dime.... but I had my bike serviced for her first 600 miles a month ago...how can this happen for a brand new bike? :rolleyes:

(sorry for the delay)

Thank guys for so many interesting point of views
  • yes it was a hot day more than 92 degree
  • yes i was going 5-10mph trying to find a parking spot
  • yes I was probably in 2nd gear or even 3rd, can't remember
  • I commute everyday so my speed is always 25-30mph... I'm not a crazy rider
  • "if you trailered it: Was it easy to push or was there a drag like the brake was partially on?" yes i felt a drag despite was in neutral!

... here some updates:

I brought the moto to the dealership which, luckily was close to where the bike died.

Verdict:

They said they have to change the entire engine!

it's under warranty so I don't pay a dime.... but I had my bike serviced for her first 600 miles a month ago...how can this happen for a brand new bike? :rolleyes:

Did they give you a reason why? I am curious to know.

Thanks for the update.

Did they give you a reason why? I am curious to know.

Thanks for the update.

no they didn't... on the phone they said they are still investigating but most likely they need to change the engine... on Monday I'm going to call again and see if they understood the cause...

I honestly don't feel the engine lugged... but I heard somebody saying this engine could be prone to overheat and maybe it did really lug... but definitely not my fault because I don't stress the bike that much...mmmmm

but definitely not my fault because I don't stress the bike that much...mmmmm

5 to 10 mph in second or third gear is stressing the bike. These engines need to turn RPMs, best to keep above 2500 or more so as to keep good lubrication and reduce stress on the engine main and con rod bearings.

Small block Guzzis like to have RPMs as stated by others. I rarely run mine much below 3200 rpm, mostly 4-5 grand.
Perhaps learn to feather a clutch? Pay attention to gearing, keep the engine in its comfort zone and even high temps won't matter.
Good luck!

Back