• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

USER CODE screw-up?

This would be a damn good reason to stay away from this incompetent dealer.

Of course PADS can access the ECU, and before the service code was discovered it was the only way to reset the spanner icon.

I suggest you now relearn your keys without the help of PADS. You were on the right track some time ago, but didn't present the second key. If you go into "MENU", "SERVICE", enter the service code, and then select "CODE RECOVERY". It will ask you to insert your two keys, and then offer the chance to change the user code. Since your keys had different codes assigned to them, this is your chance to make amends.

Good luck.

Dave,

I tried this again. When I select "CODE RECOVERY" the only thing I get is a countdown. I pull the original key and insert the second key. Then I am prompted to enter the code. It may be simpler than I think, but I got into a cycle where it would only want me to enter a code and then do the same thing again and again and again. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. So, I can start and run with the original key, and the dash does not want to function properly. A KEY icon is on in the lower section (where you might see odometer, voltage, etc.). I don't know....

Is seems to me that the PADS unit would be able to do a reset that would place all settings (key code included) back to a default state, but the dealer and the Piaggio rep claims there is no such function available. Unfortunately, my dealer selection is somewhat limited.

Hmmm. How about approaching it from the "CHANGE KEYS" option instead, and after picking the code for your first key, then insert the second key as prompted. In other words, go back to where you where, but insert both keys for the same code.

You could try calling a reputable dealer such as Moto International in Seattle or AF1 Racing in Austin and explain your situation. Their service departments would have dealt with this many times, whereas I only play with this shit when I have to, (in case I stuff it up). They should be able to give you sound advice.

Hmmm. How about approaching it from the "CHANGE KEYS" option instead, and after picking the code for your first key, then insert the second key as prompted. In other words, go back to where you where, but insert both keys for the same code.

You could try calling a reputable dealer such as Moto International in Seattle or AF1 Racing in Austin and explain your situation. Their service departments would have dealt with this many times, whereas I only play with this shit when I have to, (in case I stuff it up). They should be able to give you sound advice.

Good advice. I will mess about with a little more and try talking ot the guys in Texas or Washington.

Hello. I just purchased a 2014 California Touring, and the previous owner had never created a five digit personal code. I surmised this because every time I inserted the key the word Code was displayed. I followed the owner's manual procedure to create a new (first) personal code, and everything works fine now.

I have a second key that I've never attempted to use. If I insert that second key, will I be prompted to enter the code? Can I then enter the code and my second key will be properly matched to the bike? I don't want to screw anything up and have the red triangle thing that has frustrated OP.

Mine always shows the Code message. I ignore it.

Stephen

Hey all! It has been a while since I updated my status with my "key code adventure". I tried working with Europa Mechanica and they were completely baffled about what to do. They are also no longer Moto Guzzi dealers. I then went to Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA and let me say, these guys are really great! They did their best to solve my problem and told me that if the dash is "asking" for a second key the only solution is to enter the key code. Well, I didn't know the key code and Moto Guzzi, in all their wisdom, has no way to reset the key code or any way to reboot the dash to factory specs as when the bike was new.

I found Carmo Electronics (in the Netherlands) which is apparently the only place in the world that can solve this problem. In December 2018 I spent $90 round trip shipping and paid the $300 fee for the service I now have my dash back with no red error triangle and two working keys.

Lesson learned: if you must set a key code, get your dealer to do it. That does not guarantee success, but it will make it their problem and their expense to resolve any errors.

Last edited:
Back