• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III First Service ?

Nick Gann

Just got it firing!
Hey hey dudes!

I am putting together a parts list for the first service. Now I am only about 350 miles in but I would like to have everything here when the time comes. Recommendations?

Thinking it would be cool to build a comprehensive set of links to all needed/recommended parts, oil, etc.etc.

Speaking of which do you guys stick to the recommended 10w60 synthetic at first service? Or are there other thoughts on which way to go? Specific brands anyone likes?

My first Guzzi so looking to build a valuable knowledgebase.

Have done a little searching on the forum but not finding anything too extensive on this model, perhaps because it is so new...

I would suggest you have the first service done by a dealer for warranty purposes. You are close to Sloan's so it shouldn't bee too difficult to arrange.

Hey Nick! There is a good amount of info on this forum about the V7III's. Don't limit your search to the "Anniversario" model.
Any V7III info will pertain to your bike.

Might want to take John's suggestion & get the first service done by the dealer & then start building your parts list & reference info for the next time(s).

I'm not familiar with the small block line so I really can't make any valid suggestions but I'm sure the V7III owners will chime in soon.
Guzzi people tend to love riding & talking about their machines.

Only parts used by the dealer when I had my first service, other than the oils and filter, was the drain plug washers and o'rings. They must have re-used the valve cover gaskets. I like Motul 10w-60 synthetic, also sold by my dealer, as well as Motorex.

What were you guys paying roughly for that first service? Appreciate all the opinions here btw. I gather you are saying they do not honor the warranty for someone who works on their own machines, unless that person is a certified tech? My first new bike, so things like warranties have never been thought about ;)

I think by law they (Piaggio) have to honor the warranty even if you do the work.
A warranty claim is submitted by the dealer & proof of "need" for warranty is on the dealer.
So by establishing a good relationship with the dealer they may be more inclined to help with a claim.

The other factor is: If the dealer is a good dealer & have been servicing Guzzi's & keeping up with forums like this one then they are aware of issues & may take preventative action during the first service.

In some ways taking your bike in for a service is almost like gambling on an insurance policy.
Would it be worth money saved vs "if" something goes wrong.......

My first service was $200. I believe if you perform all the procedures listed for the servicing, and either you are competent enough to do them, or, for example, have a pro adjust your valves, and you do all the other stuff correctly, you have satisfied the warranty requirements by law. I agree with Trout that keeping a good relationship with dealer helps, just in case. With many dealers hundreds of miles away, I can't see Piaggio fussing too much when we can't use them regularly.

I still don't understand why they don't set up a network of Authorized Repair Centers for maintenance, general repair & warranty work.
I understand that they do this in Australia.

BUT there would be no need if:
they got customer service at both dealer & consumer level raised to an outstanding level.
Then they would find it easier to get in the door of established other brand dealers.

I still don't understand why they don't set up a network of Authorized Repair Centers for maintenance, general repair & warranty work.
I understand that they do this in Australia.

BUT there would be no need if:
they got customer service at both dealer & consumer level raised to an outstanding level.
Then they would find it easier to get in the door of established other brand dealers.

Dealers would not tolerate that. Sales volume are low, profit margins are low, service and warranty income are often required by dealerships to keep the lights on.

Paul

I still don't understand why they don't set up a network of Authorized Repair Centers for maintenance, general repair & warranty work. I understand that they do this in Australia.
Just one that I am aware of, and as mentioned above, Dealers do not get "paid" for warranty work. They get a parts credit. There have been many dealers who closed because of this as they have had 5 or 6 digit "credits."
Problem with dealer services, as more often than not, you don't get what you pay for or what should be done, much less a proper PDI on new bikes.

Just one that I am aware of, and as mentioned above, Dealers do not get "paid" for warranty work. They get a parts credit. There have been many dealers who closed because of this as they have had 5 or 6 digit "credits."
Problem with dealer services, as more often than not, you don't get what you pay for or what should be done, much less a proper PDI on new bikes.

What is PDI? Do you mean that you pay for something like a 600 first service and they sort of cut corners?

Pre Delivery Inspection. There is an extensive checklist of things to be done. Many dealers pull them from the box, check the oil, add gas and send them on the way. I don't want this to get into a dealer bash thread, but yes it's something you pay for and is often ignored. I PDI all of my own bikes.

Pre Delivery Inspection. There is an extensive checklist of things to be done. Many dealers pull them from the box, check the oil, add gas and send them on the way. I don't want this to get into a dealer bash thread, but yes it's something you pay for and is often ignored. I PDI all of my own bikes.

If you were mechanically inclined, and from what I have seen on the forums you are, would you take your bike for first service to the dealer or do the work yourself? There is no lack of knowledge on my part, or willingness to learn something I may not know... a well rounded perspective on this is what I am curious about. I enjoy learning and maintaining my own machines and have plenty of them, however I also don't want some insane battle should a warranty issue ever arise.

Nick, I suggest you take your bike to Sloan's for the first service. They will do a good and thorough job, and it will be less than $200, including all parts (valve cover gaskets included).

The 600 mile service on my V7II was very simple. It's just a matter of warranty, which to my knowledge only covers factory defects anyway. If you have past maintenance experience on cars, bikes; spend the time to get intimate with your machine and save some bucks.

Hopefully someone can clarify the specifics of the warranty though.

Also, unless something changed with the fluids in the III, which I doubt. You'll need:

10w-60 for the engine
85w-90 for the transmission
85w-140 for the driveshaft

Make sure to clear the magnets on the caps of any metal particulate and change the oil filter for the same reason.

Valves:
.15mm inlet
.20mm exhaust

would you take your bike for first service to the dealer or do the work yourself?
I would say you shouldn't learn on your new bike... but up to you.

The 600 mile service on my V7II was very simple.
Hope you re-torqued the heads and reset the valve lash. Something that is not needed on the V7 III.

Hey Roadscum & Todd!

Appreciate the info, I always thought a dealer would get re-imbursed but a parts credit???
Wow no wonder there are so few dealers & so many that pick up & drop the line.

These are such great bikes, after 50 years of riding them I have not found another brand that is as satisfying as a Guzzi.

Back