• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Opinions

The sick thing about it all is that they are not doing a callback or including rear end rebuild in pre-delivery tasklist. They have us all go through a breakdown and towing, spoiling vacations and weekends, making people ride with oiled rear tire, etc. Small technical issue but major customer service neglect.

Hate to see this- its exactly what mine did. Pull the little rubber plug over the breather and see if there is oil underneath. Mine was supposedly overfilled at the factory and checking the level is not part of PDI apparently. My problem has not reoccurred after the dealer reduced the oil level and that was 250 miles or so ago.

Hi bkiser - I think you will find that checking fluid levels is part of the pre-delivery dealer inspection - here is a pic of my Moto Guzzi inspection certificate.
Update - on Monday my dealer is pulling a new V9 from the showroom - removing the final drive assembly from it and fitting it to my bike - thats where it attaches to the swing arm with 4 bolts.
Not sure that I'm happy with this - could get the same oily mess all over again. IMG 2071

Will the V9 handle my riding style?

Ride 24/7
Mostly in town
Occasionally short weekend trips 200 miles
Each year my son and take long trips, last year we rode to Nova Scotia

I'm 58, 6' 200lbs
I feel that the 1400 Eldorado will be too big, I currently ride a 03 EV

Anyone done a log trip and what was the happy crusing speed?

William
Norfolk

Will the V9 handle my riding style? Ride 24/7. Mostly in town
Occasionally short weekend trips 200 miles. Each year my son and take long trips, last year we rode to Nova Scotia
Bobber or Roamer?
It depends on what you are used to, and what comfort you are looking for.
I did a 300 mile day a few weekends ago on my Bobber, and I didn't mind it at all (but mine is in V7 trim with the small OEM Bobber fairing - the Roamer fairing is bigger).
If the (barely padded 2x4) seat and bar position works for you, no reason you won't be happy with the bike. The motor reminds me of the Cal 11-EV. Lazy rev'er with decent torque. Have you ridden one yet?

I own the Bobber and love it so far, and took my first biggish trip on it(I have been mostly using it for commuting). I rode it from Calgary to Banff and back recently. The trip was 275 KM. I will share some of my thoughts on it below. Oh and for comparison sake I am 6' too and weigh 230 pounds.

The seat is HARD! I'm sure with more and longer excursions I can get used to it, but I started to notice it as I was approaching Banff, and while it subsided while I was walking around it became painful about halfway back. As for scooting around town, I find the seat to be comfortable enough, but make sure to lift up off of it for major bumps! I prefer the look of the stock seat, and like that if I want more room I can slide back on it.

I was able to get the bike up to 160 KPH briefly and was able to comfortably maintain 130. Yes these speeds are excessive I know. The speed limit was 110 for reference and I was not the only vehicle going 130.

The handlebars are fine with no real issues for me. They perhaps stick out a bit wide for some people. I have the control panel cover which deflects some wind I suppose, but consider it to be a naked bike if you don't get the windscreen. You've gotta hold on tight!

Definitely get the bar end mirrors, they look way better than stock and stick out a tad wider I believe. Also they vibrate a lot, I can't compare to stock but I'm sure they do too. They do smooth out, not sure at which RPM.

If you have any other questions let me know.
IMG 20170218 125325 328

You're quite welcome! I prefer the look of the beefy front tire and the blacked out pipes of the Bobber. I do like the classic look of the Roamer but I wanted something that looked more aggressive.

Hello, I just ordered a V9 Roamer to be delivered, sight unseen and with no test ride as there are no dealers close to me. I chose it just based on the pictures/specs and test ride reviews, so I hope I'm not disappointed! I'm 38 and find that it looks beautiful and unique. I own three 1979 motorcycles and just love the look and feel of these bikes from this era, but have been wanting something newer (more reliable/less work), so I picked up one of the newer Triumph Bonnevilles. Although the Bonnie is a decent bike it just doesn't ride as well as my other motorcycles and feels a little cramped (I'm 6'0), hence the new purchase. I had almost bought a used V7 from a local here when I picked up the Bonnie, and just now discovered the V9 which I like even more, as I think it looks exactly like a 70's bike but somehow sexier, while staying true to the style, but not over doing it like most of the modern retro bikes. It strikes me more like a new 70's bike then a retro, and the fact that not everyone on every corner will have one is also very appealing to me. I'll let you know my thought's after it gets here, hopefully it'll be as good in person as it seems to be from what I've read.

Sorry, but a 1200 vs 850 isn't a fair comparison in the end when it comes down HD crudeness vs Guzzi finesse-ry. More 883 vs 850, and that's a no-brainer in my book. The XR1200 vs Griso 1200 has been printed I believe.
I've owned several Harleys and raced Buells in the 90's, and have ridden countless others along with S&S powered machines over the years as a contributing journalist with Cycle World Mag, including Confederates and Keanu Reeve's Arch Moto (that I am good friends now with that Team.) The head designer at Arch owns and rides a Griso as his primary transport.
Harley regurgitations (and I don't dislike HD mind you) vs Guzzi's cuisine is an easy choice for me. About the only alternative I've ridden in this category is the Indian Scout 60, that is if you don't mind feet forward riding. Some may know I do a lot of work with/for Polaris Indian (and formerly Victory), and they are hard on the throttle right now.

Todd, That's quite a pedigree. I have to get out to Malibu one day, probably spring 2018, and sign up for the "Learn to Ride Like a Pro…" program.

It's been quite a while since I rode around Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, the PCH and a few of the less traveled roads in the area.

I just ordered a V9 Roamer to be delivered, sight unseen and with no test ride as there are no dealers close to me. I chose it just based on the pictures/specs and test ride reviews, so I hope I'm not disappointed! I'm 38 and find that it looks beautiful and unique. I own three 1979 motorcycles...
Welcome to the GT Forum and congrats. Based on your bike ownership, I suspect you will be quite enamored with the V9 based on your age and ownership (though you didn't say what '79 bikes you own).
As you're reading, early miles set up and maintanance is paramount for long life and happiness with a Guzzi. Dig in whwn it arrives, and do your own PDI. Don't count on riding it when it arrives and having zero issues. That said, get through the teething period, and you'll never sell it.
Post often, and hope you add your info to the V9 Pic & Registry thread when it arrives.

I've cornered my V9 pretty hard (for an old guy) around here and never experienced anything like that. It sounds more like you've hit some sand/loose gravel/or diesel fuel spill with your front tire as you made the turn. Any of those can cause a quick loss of traction, like the front tire is not touching anything. I'm glad you're OK and didn't crash.

I've put 230 miles on mine since Monday. Been enjoying the handling, sound and general good looks of the bike. Downsides for me are the vibration which i can live with , and the suspension, which is terrible.
Had a particulary nasty experience with the front end leaving the road this morning on a ride along the coast.

On the way back I completely lost control of the bike on a country bend with an upward camber, the front end went light and the bars were flinging themselves all over the place i think also due to the weight of the front wheel. Accidentally grabbed a bit of throttle in the heat of the moment trying to get the thing under control and ended up speeding into the opposite bank which luckily had a dirt rise I skirted along and managed to keep the bike upright and bring it to a standstill. I think the ABS helped a bit. I was pretty lucky there was no oncoming traffic cos id probably be brown bread by now but I did scare the poop out of myself and a cyclist I narrowly missed.

Sounds like a newb rider error but I've been riding for over ten years and never experienced a complete loss of the front end like this before on any previous bike. I'm pretty certain the culprit is the seemingly terrible suspension, and the big heavy front wheel. I've noticed that even hitting bumps slowish in town can sometimes make the bike go a bit out of shape or bash your spine all over the place on the bigger bumps, the wheels don't like sticking to the ground too much on mine. Perhaps its just a set up issue?

Im putting it back in to the dealers on Tuesday who are gonna test ride it to check it over. Anyone else had similar issues with the suspension or front end wobbling about at speed or is it just me? I'm new to this style of bike, ie mid weight cruisers, so maybe I was just riding it a bit too hard but it feels like the bike doesn't perform well when the road surface isnt perfectly flat? It's a shame because I was really enjoying this bike up til now.

Last edited:
I've cornered my V9 pretty hard (for an old guy) around here and never experienced anything like that. It sounds more like you've hit some sand/loose gravel/or diesel fuel spill with your front tire as you made the turn. Any of those can cause a quick loss of traction, like the front tire is not touching anything. I'm glad you're OK and didn't crash.
Thanks yeah I'm glad I'm OK too! I ditched my Aprilia about 2 years ago in the winter on a slippery corner, the bike just went down that time, this shook me up a lot more and was more like the front end just going completely loose and the front wheel/bars just going berserk, basically like a severe speed wobble. It was likely due to the uphill takeoff/camber also. Figured I'm going to ride a lot more cautiously with this bike from now on, perhaps I'm still in 'Aprilia' mode and need to change my riding style a bit to suit this heavier handling beast. I'm going to at least have a tinker with the rear suspension set up anyway, hopefully tune some of that spine thump out.

Last edited:
I mean no distrapect but perhaps it was a rider error or at least a rider not recognizing his limits or the limits of his motorcycle. Riding for many years doesn't always translate in good skills, reflexes, and miscel memory. I'm thinking you may want to give some thoughts to refresher training under the eyes of and experienced instructor.

I've been riding for 55+ years, in retirement rise 20-25k miles/yearand was an MSF instructor/coach for several until I moved to Florida 14 years ago. Now, every few years, I take an experienced rider course to keep my skills sharp and to rid myself of bad habits that I've acquired.

Ya can never be too skilled, too safe, have too much money, or too much sex. :giggle:

Paul

I mean no distrapect but perhaps it was a rider error or at least a rider not recognizing his limits or the limits of his motorcycle. Riding for many years doesn't always translate in good skills, reflexes, and miscel memory. I'm thinking you may want to give some thoughts to refresher training under the eyes of and experienced instructor.

I've been riding for 55+ years, in retirement rise 20-25k miles/yearand was an MSF instructor/coach for several until I moved to Florida 14 years ago. Now, every few years, I take an experienced rider course to keep my skills sharp and to rid myself of bad habits that I've acquired.

Ya can never be too skilled, too safe, have too much money, or too much sex. :giggle:

Paul

Well, ive had the bike less than 7 days, and it's a bit different to what im used to. I've learnt my lesson to not ride this bike in the same way as my previous bikes but I'm not sure why I should need to be so cautious with a brand new bike that cost 9k, The suspension should be fit for purpose, getting a little air over bumps whilst cornering at speed occasionally is a normal thing the bike should deal with, wasnt expecting a full blown tank slapper and it to throw me across the road. I still stand by the opinion that the suspension on this bike sucks compared to every other bike ive rode. Will definately be upgrading this aspect of the bike. A lack of proper rebound is the issue I feel.

But I agree it's sensible to keep your riding skills sharp, wouldnt hurt to have a refresher every now and then.

Last edited:
When it first came out I did not like it, but is has grown on me quite a bit (the new seat - not so much...).
After a couple of 100+mile runs, I couldn't handle the seat any longer. I ordered a comfort seat, but was told they were back ordered. So I took mine to a custom upholstery shop and had them rebuild it with new padding and leather.
IMG 0063

Hello, I just ordered a V9 Roamer to be delivered, sight unseen and with no test ride as there are no dealers close to me. I chose it just based on the pictures/specs and test ride reviews, so I hope I'm not disappointed! I'm 38 and find that it looks beautiful and unique. I own three 1979 motorcycles and just love the look and feel of these bikes from this era, but have been wanting something newer (more reliable/less work), so I picked up one of the newer Triumph Bonnevilles. Although the Bonnie is a decent bike it just doesn't ride as well as my other motorcycles and feels a little cramped (I'm 6'0), hence the new purchase. I had almost bought a used V7 from a local here when I picked up the Bonnie, and just now discovered the V9 which I like even more, as I think it looks exactly like a 70's bike but somehow sexier, while staying true to the style, but not over doing it like most of the modern retro bikes. It strikes me more like a new 70's bike then a retro, and the fact that not everyone on every corner will have one is also very appealing to me. I'll let you know my thought's after it gets here, hopefully it'll be as good in person as it seems to be from what I've read.
I did basely the same thing; paid for a 2017 V9 Roamer over the internet and hopped on a bus from Portland to Eugene Oregon met the dealer and road off... back to Portland. I have a V7 and love it, so the Roamer was like a beefed V7 to me, fun ride. Only problem I had was reading the speedometer, almost ran it out of gas on the way home. (On a side note: I'll be 63).

Back