• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Medium Windshield Feedback

lvgs

Just got it firing!
IMG 0993 I hoping I could get some feedback regarding the 'medium' height OEM windshield. I have been debating whether to get the medium or tall. I am 5'8" and prefer to look over the windshield i.e. Rather than through it.

Please note, it will be mounted on a California 1400 Custom (see pic).

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I'd recommend you go with the medium. Actually, I'd recommend the flyscreeen that Guzzi offers (and I suspect made by Dart).

I purchased what I was told was the medium, and it turned out to be the same size as that fitted to the Touring. It didn't stay on long.

View attachment 13253 I hoping I could get some feedback regarding the 'medium' height OEM windshield. I have been debating whether to get the medium or tall. I am 5'8" and prefer to look over the windshield i.e. Rather than through it.

Please note, it will be mounted on a California 1400 Custom (see pic).

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Yeahhhh!!!! - Welcome, another Cali 1400 owner in Vancouver. Let me guess, bought from International Motorsport, Yaletown (or Langley) . I got my Audace last year which also came with no screen. It was Ok up to 100kph/62mph but after that I was getting ripped off the back seat unless I crouched.

I looked at the fly screen option, but the headlight that it mounts to is different on the Audace vs California so it looked like it would not fix. In the end I bought this (https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=76655) from AF1 in Texas. Bit expensive when you factor in exchange rate, BC Tax and shipping but I'm happy with it and it's an official moto guzzi high quality product with their name embossed in the chrome. I also means you can mount the lights from the touring model later if you wanted.

It's the small version screen, about 12.5 inches tall above the top of the headlight (see photo) and it's good for an easy 140 kph (not that I would know of course !!). There's no buffeting, just some wind noise/whoosh (more than with no screen but not offensive) and it really cuts down on the forces on your torso and makes for a more relaxed ride (PS I'm 5'8" also). Can't comment what the fly screen is like at those speeds. I guess a lot depends on whether your are an "open face" or "full face" helmet rider

Just out of interest I mounted an old touring screen that I had kicking around in the garage from a previous bike to the above hardware. This raised it about another 4 inches and added a little bit to the width. Good for 160kph (allegedly!!) but the buffeting at more normal speeds was awful and I went back to the small screen - just my experiences, lots of others on the site also and suggestions on how to cure the buffeting with the tall screen etc.

b.t.w. my buddy and I took a ride up the sea-to-sky yesterday to catch the Eclipse in Whistler. We set off at 8:00 and because he was in a hurry to get back early, we seemed to average 120kph each way (at least that's what I saw every time I looked down) - lots of rice burners going somewhat faster, but at no point did it feel like a struggle to hold on due to wind blast.

PS what bags are those you have mounted?

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I just installed the medium screen on my Eldorado. I'm 5'10" and it works great. I can see over the screen and it takes the wind off my chest.

Thank you Dave, Paul and Frank. I just placed an order for the medium from AF1 Racing. Apparently, the medium windshield is 16" tall and as Frank suggests, should enable me to see over it while providing good wind protection. I will post a pic once I have it installed. Thanks again.

Yeahhhh!!!! - Welcome, another Cali 1400 owner in Vancouver. Let me guess, bought from International Motorsport, Yaletown (or Langley) . I got my Audace last year which also came with no screen. It was Ok up to 100kph/62mph but after that I was getting ripped off the back seat unless I crouched...

PS what bags are those you have mounted?

Thanks Paul, that's very helpful. Like you, I find riding the Cali at anything over 100 kph very uncomfortable. Hopefully, the medium windshield will do the trick and not present too much buffeting. I also hope to mount the OEM lights i.e. Once the exchange rate is a little more favourable.

The bags are Hepco Becker c-bow (see: https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/c-bow-moto-guzzi-california-custom-1400/ AND
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/body-n-bags/hepco-becker-body-n-bags/cal-1400/). They are a great alternative to the OEM offerings, very well made and in my opinion, complement the bike.

Ps: I bought the bike from Pacific just before they shut their doors.

Just to throw in my thoughts. I installed the full shield on my cali custom and have no issues looking over it as opposed to through it. Here's a pic for perspective. I'm 5'10" ish. I did put spacers on the bottom shield mount though to tilt the shield and give some airflow under the screen to counteract the buffeting/turbulence. I can easily do 8 hour riding days with no wind fatigue.

IMG 2934

The bags are Hepco Becker c-bow (see: https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/c-bow-moto-guzzi-california-custom-1400/ AND
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/body-n-bags/hepco-becker-body-n-bags/cal-1400/). They are a great alternative to the OEM offerings, very well made and in my opinion, complement the bike.

Good looking bags....couldn't find the same design on the Guzzitech or HB websites. What is the name/model of these bags. I think they will compliment the Eldo too :)

BTW I put on a MG Flyscreen and have been very happy with it. Haven't gone much beyond 120 KPH.... it is very effective.

Just to throw in my thoughts. I installed the full shield on my cali custom and have no issues looking over it as opposed to through it. Here's a pic for perspective. I'm 5'10" ish. I did put spacers on the bottom shield mount though to tilt the shield and give some airflow under the screen to counteract the buffeting/turbulence. I can easily do 8 hour riding days with no wind fatigue.

View attachment 13263
Thanks for the f/b Joe. I will keep your idea of using spacers to adjust the angle of the shield in mind.

Good looking bags....couldn't find the same design on the Guzzitech or HB websites. What is the name/model of these bags. I think they will compliment the Eldo too :)

BTW I put on a MG Flyscreen and have been very happy with it. Haven't gone much beyond 120 KPH.... it is very effective.
These are the 'Nevada' bags. For the Eldorado, I think the 'Liberty' or 'Buffalo' styles might be better suited. I'm sure Todd can get them for you.

Also, I looked at the Flyscreen but, truthfully, don't like the look and did not anticipate it would provide the same wind protection.

These are the 'Nevada' bags. For the Eldorado, I think the 'Liberty' or 'Buffalo' styles might be better suited. I'm sure Todd can get them for you.

Also, I looked at the Flyscreen but, truthfully, don't like the look and did not anticipate it would provide the same wind protection.
Any chance you could post a photo of the bags mounted on the bike but taken directly behind the bike, I'd like to see the Bike-to-bag Gap - cheers

Uss, have a look here...http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/luggage/leatherbags/... Aussie HB importers in Qld, family business and very good to deal with and have some really good stuff on their site.

Reactions: Uss
Yeahhhh!!!! - Welcome, another Cali 1400 owner in Vancouver. Let me guess, bought from International Motorsport, Yaletown (or Langley) . I got my Audace last year which also came with no screen. It was Ok up to 100kph/62mph but after that I was getting ripped off the back seat unless I crouched.

I looked at the fly screen option, but the headlight that it mounts to is different on the Audace vs California so it looked like it would not fix. In the end I bought this (https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=76655) from AF1 in Texas. Bit expensive when you factor in exchange rate, BC Tax and shipping but I'm happy with it and it's an official moto guzzi high quality product with their name embossed in the chrome. I also means you can mount the lights from the touring model later if you wanted.

I have the same windshield mounted on my Audace. Gord out in Chilliwack mounted it for me. My Wife wanted the same one; but International could not figure out how to mount it on hers. You have to move the turn signals down about an inch. IMG 1846

Interesting you had to lower the indicators an inch (and that International could not figure out how to mount it). As you can see in the photo below, mine just bolted onto the screen just as before although I did have to push aside the big plastic spacer that was originally sat between the indicator and the mounting hole. (I tucked it behind the tank)

I'll have to take a trip to visit Gord next time I'm on an Buntzen Lake Loop. He does seem to be the local Guzzi wizard around these parts (so I've heard)

IMG 3142

Back