• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II ENGINE FAILURES & CLUTCH ADJUST NOTICE!

Thanks Kev. This Australian review is for the 2015 V7ii so I guess it was released at different times in different markets.
http://bikereview.com.au/2015-moto-guzzi-v7-ii-stone/

Yup, that's typical, EU and maybe most other world markets get em before US.

That's why the EU got the mkI (1tb models) in 2012, while the US got the oddball 2012 V7C and Racer models with a 2TB motor BUT the new larger metal fuel tanks.

We didn't get the 1tb models till 2013.

Yup, that's typical, EU and maybe most other world markets get em before US.

That's why the EU got the mkI (1tb models) in 2012, while the US got the oddball 2012 V7C and Racer models with a 2TB motor BUT the new larger metal fuel tanks.

We didn't get the 1tb models till 2013.
And, to confuse things even further, the model year can be different from the actual year it was sold: I took delivery of my (US) 2016 V7II Stone on May 8, 2015.

I have not read every page of this thread, does this effect Specials or just stones? With less than 200 miles on the clock my 16 has this racket coming from the engine while in neutral which goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I have not touched the adjustment and it will not engage until the lever is about half way out which is how I got it. I thought this is a little unnerving it should be grabbing sooner but the rest of the bike is so satisfying I am only concerned about breaking it in not the clutch lever action

I have not read every page of this thread, does this effect Specials or just stones? With less than 200 miles on the clock my 16 has this racket coming from the engine while in neutral which goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I have not touched the adjustment and it will not engage until the lever is about half way out which is how I got it. I thought this is a little unnerving it should be grabbing sooner but the rest of the bike is so satisfying I am only concerned about breaking it in not the clutch lever action

Don't fret. That's completely normal for a dry clutch bike, m8 (you should hear my Ducatis!!). Carry on.

The tell-tale symptom seems to be serious difficulty getting it into neutral and perhaps changing gears in general.

Don't fret. That's completely normal for a dry clutch bike, m8 (you should hear my Ducatis!!). Carry on.

The tell-tale symptom seems to be serious difficulty getting it into neutral and perhaps changing gears in general.
When I picked up my red Special there was too much play in the clutch cable. After an hour's ride, I could tell it was dragging, and getting into neutral was not smooth. So I pulled over and adjusted it a bit. The next day with bike cold I adjusted to 1 to 2 mm at the lever. It has stayed there since, over 7000 mi...

When I picked up my red Special there was too much play in the clutch cable. After an hour's ride, I could tell it was dragging, and getting into neutral was not smooth. So I pulled over and adjusted it a bit. The next day with bike cold I adjusted to 1 to 2 mm at the lever. It has stayed there since, over 7000 mi...
That not cool. Can't believe they (who sold it to you like that, anyhow?) let you ride off like that. Glad all is good with your bike, tho.

Thank you Dadas, I have been riding BSA for years the special is my first dry clutch

my VIN
ZGULWUB07GM200499

2016 v7ii stone, purchased Feb 2017 – 0 miles
problems with clutch since day 1, never been able to get to neutral smoothly
went to dealer twice to fix the clutch never been able to fix it
under warranty they are going to replace the engine

:rolleyes:

I've had no problems with my clutch, save that I find it heavy. My rides are often curtailed because my wrist is aching badly. In fact, the clutch beats the seat in shortening my rides.
She's going in for service in a couple of days. If the clutch can't be made easier, sadly I may have consider a change of bikes.

After picking up my 2016 V7 ii Racer 6spd yesterday in Montreal (travelled six hours to get it),
I took the fifteen minutes to read this thread.

Now I'm wondering if mine is afflicted. Mine is VIN # ZGULWUB25GM200258

Any insight either way would alleviate my anxieties on this issue. I'd rather it happen soon, or not at all. I typically put 1500 miles on per year.

Thanks....and thanks for welcoming me to this great forum.

After picking up my 2016 V7 ii Racer 6spd yesterday in Montreal (travelled six hours to get it),
I took the fifteen minutes to read this thread.

Now I'm wondering if mine is afflicted. Mine is VIN # ZGULWUB25GM200258

Any insight either way would alleviate my anxieties on this issue. I'd rather it happen soon, or not at all. I typically put 1500 miles on per year.

Thanks....and thanks for welcoming me to this great forum.
Have you put any Miles on it yet?

Have you put any Miles on it yet?
I have not. It was my understanding that the bike either HAS the issue of a missing thrust bearing/washer, or DOESNT...regardless of mileage.
I am wondering if Guzzi or a third party have compiled a list of affected VIN numbers.

Why do you ask about mileage?

I have not. It was my understanding that the bike either HAS the issue of a missing thrust bearing/washer, or DOESNT...regardless of mileage.
I am wondering if Guzzi or a third party have compiled a list of affected VIN numbers.

Why do you ask about mileage?
If your bike has the problem it will show up in the first couple of hundred miles.
If the washer is missing you will have to keep on adjusting the clutch..
My bike has been great I've done near 10,000ks and all is well..

If your bike has the problem it will show up in the first couple of hundred miles.
If the washer is missing you will have to keep on adjusting the clutch..
My bike has been great I've done near 10,000ks and all is well..

Thanks Jeff, I will keep that in mind. My line of thought is that the dealer would be equally culpable if they KNEW that my new bike was missing the critical part and left me stranded far from home.
I am plating the bike today and intend to ride the fk out of it before the snow flies here (Canada).
I just was not sure if Moto Guzzi has released a list of VINs yet. It would make things a LOT EASIER for the buyer.
Thanks for your response.

Thanks Jeff, I will keep that in mind. My line of thought is that the dealer would be equally culpable if they KNEW that my new bike was missing the critical part and left me stranded far from home.
I am plating the bike today and intend to ride the fk out of it before the snow flies here (Canada).
I just was not sure if Moto Guzzi has released a list of VINs yet. It would make things a LOT EASIER for the buyer.
Thanks for your response.
1. Moto Guzzi has not released a list of VINs, probably because they don't know which ones and how many.
2. You will know if you have a problem by the time of your first service at 1000 km. The clutch will have gone out of adjustment so far that you cannot get the proper adjustment at the handlebar.
3. No Racers have reported the problem (to this thread). Most (all?) of the reports have been Stones.
So, quit worrying and enjoy the machine.

No official list has been noted.
I'm trying to keep a running list (first thread post of this thread) of those that are on this site, so please post if this has happened to you(!).
I am personally handling a new one outside of the range originally noted; VIN # 200548.

No official list has been noted.
I'm trying to keep a running list (first thread post of this thread) of those that are on this site, so please post if this has happened to you(!).
I am personally handling a new one outside of the range originally noted; VIN # 200548.
Apparently using the last six digits of the VIN is not sufficient to identify a particular motorcycle. UrbanSherpa's Racer has the same last six digits as my Stone. The eighth and ninth characters are the model designators.

Apparently using the last six digits of the VIN is not sufficient to identify a particular motorcycle. UrbanSherpa's Racer has the same last six digits as my Stone. The eighth and ninth characters are the model designators.
Yes, you are again ignoring my words to see the first post of this thread.
Engine #'s would be best - not everyone knew to note them before the motors failed. The engine # on the one I have now is AN 016940 -- I'll add that to my post.
Until a time MG issues a list or recall (never I'm sure), this is all we have. Your welcome.

My bike is a 2015 Stone V7II and from what I've been told there is a way of checking the end float on the crank to seen if the washer is missing.
I'm not sure how involved this would be but I sureTodd would know.

Back