• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GPS Installation

Hi, i have seen the BMW part in person and have ordered one. Question to you, did you crimp the wires to garmin outlet plugin? or, how did the garmin connect to the other end of the BMW part? loose wires?
I had a spare pigtail for my Garmin from a previous dual sport install and soldered the two together. The BMW pigtail does come with barrel crimps and waterproof heat shrink tubing.

Thanks for the info, i am going to bite the bullet on a garmin 350, will sort out the wiring after seeing the GPS unit.

That GPS connector is zip tied to the frame under the left front section of the tank. Remove the plastic cover (in front of the tank) that hides the wires and cables as they emerge from under the tank. You should be able to see the GPS cable and fish it out with a tool.

CAUTION: This is not a generic power lead. It is specific to the newest generation TomTom Rider. You can't just plug your Garmin into it. I suppose you could use a circuit tester to determine which wire is power, ground, etc. and splice a Garmin-compatible connector into the cable.

Use PosiTaps (available on WebBikeWorld.com) to avoid cutting any wires. Just my personal preference; I hate cutting and splicing into factory wiring.

I installed the new TomTom Rider using the factory connector. Powers on and off with the ignition. Having previously owned the first generation Rider and a couple of Garmins, I love this new Rider. Glove-friendly, bright screen. Garmin partisans may not like the interface or that fact that it announces nearby distances in yards rather than feet.

I'm sure there are a lot of Garmin owners awaiting your installation. Please take pictures as you go. Good luck.

P.S. Only six more weeks until Daytona Bike Week. A good test ground for your GPS installation.
Hey Longrider,
Is the TomTom connector and lead long enough to run up to the handle bar to the mounted unit? I haven't looked yet. I use an old TomTom with a 5v mini USB connector and usually have to convert the bike's 12v to 5v. I might have an excuse to update my unit to a new one. Thanks in advance!
Mike

Hey Longrider,
Is the TomTom connector and lead long enough to run up to the handle bar to the mounted unit? I haven't looked yet. I use an old TomTom with a 5v mini USB connector and usually have to convert the bike's 12v to 5v. I might have an excuse to update my unit to a new one. Thanks in advance!
Mike

Mike,

Yes, it is.

Yes, as Roadventure said, the cable is long enough. However, I do not think it is the same connector as the older TomTom Rider. I am almost certain it is not the same as the connector on the original TomTom Rider that I had on the Breva I sold in 2009. Accordingly, you will have to splice the old connector into the 1400's GPS cable.

Also, the Moto Guzzi accessory GPS mounting bracket is specific to the latest version of the Rider and will not work with older Riders because TomTom redesigned the cradle (the thing to which the Rider attaches). So you will have to use a Ram-type mount for your old Rider.

Frankly, the newest Rider is vastly better than its predecessors. And it comes with free lifetime map updates. Worth the investment in my opinion.

Yes, as Roadventure said, the cable is long enough. However, I do not think it is the same connector as the older TomTom Rider. I am almost certain it is not the same as the connector on the original TomTom Rider that I had on the Breva I sold in 2009. Accordingly, you will have to splice the old connector into the 1400's GPS cable.

Also, the Moto Guzzi accessory GPS mounting bracket is specific to the latest version of the Rider and will not work with older Riders because TomTom redesigned the cradle (the thing to which the Rider attaches). So you will have to use a Ram-type mount for your old Rider.

Frankly, the newest Rider is vastly better than its predecessors. And it comes with free lifetime map updates. Worth the investment in my opinion.

Longrider,
I agree, no sense in splicing into the cable and converting to 5v on the old unit that has been well used and pretty much out of date. I now have an excuse to upgrade!

LongRider and Roadadventure:
I purchased the TomTom Rider and am having a heck of a time finding the gps wire and plug under the tank. I've removed the front plastic pieces to access the wires and I can't find any plugs that are not plugged into anything. I think I found the two heated grip plugs; two small white open plugs zip-tied together. I assume the plug is open or capped, right? It's not plugged into anything is it? When you mention that it's under the left font side of the tank, is that as you're sitting on the bike? Do you have to lift the tank very high to see it or reach it?

I'm not going to give up because I am too invested in this "system" at this point! Please let me know if there's any more information that will point me in the right direction of finding this plug.

Thanks!

LongRider and Roadadventure:
I purchased the TomTom Rider and am having a heck of a time finding the gps wire and plug under the tank.....

I found it!!!!!
I said screw it and pulled the tank back to expose the wires and there it was just sitting coiled on top of the bundle of wires under the tank. Would have never seen it from the front. Sweet.

Thanks!
Mike

The only unknown was switched power for Zumo. Based on advice from you all, I found the pre-wired power line under the left side of the tank. Since it had a connector that would not work for me I just cut it off and spliced my "+" and ground wires from Zumo into them.

Hope this is helpful!

Can you confirm which wire is the positive and which is the ground?

Can you confirm which wire is the positive and which is the ground?

Simple. Get a small 12v light bulb and connect each wire in turn to one side of the bulb, with the other side connected to the chassis. Ignition switch has to be on during this test. The wire that lights the bulb is the positive.

Just purchased the BMW plug connector that mates with the Guzzi GPS power connection on the wiring harness. I'm going to attempt to splice the plug to a USB charging port I'll mount on the handle bar. I've been velcroing a 10,000 MAh batter to the handlebar riser for a couple of years now. Seems to work quite well and power my devices all day, but having a powered connector would be much better. Now I have to try and fish out the plug end under the "port" side cover ...

Just purchased the BMW plug connector that mates with the Guzzi GPS power connection on the wiring harness. I'm going to attempt to splice the plug to a USB charging port I'll mount on the handle bar. I've been velcroing a 10,000 MAh batter to the handlebar riser for a couple of years now. Seems to work quite well and power my devices all day, but having a powered connector would be much better. Now I have to try and fish out the plug end under the "port" side cover ...
Please let us know how you fair; I use this connector on my BMWs and believe the draw/amperage is very low. Nevertheless, if it is sufficient to power a USB charging port, your solution would be ideal.

Has anyone mounted the Garmin Zumo 595 on the Moto Guzzi mount.? I know it made to fit the TomTom but before I buy it I would like to make sure it fits the Garmin 595?

In case in else wants to know, no the bracket does NOT fit the Garmin 595. Anyone want to buy a GPS bracket, brand new never used.

Attachments

• 1505624938802718167480.jpg
    1505624938802718167480.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
In case in else wants to know, no the bracket does NOT fit the Garmin 595. Anyone want to buy a GPS bracket, brand new never used.
IMG 1648
I had the same problem with the mount for my 660. The hole spacing was the same width, so I used the top holes in the Guzzi bracket and the bottom holes in the Zumo mount. Has worked fine for 30,000km.

Stephen

I've recently bought a TomTom Rider 450, which I assume, from all the foregoing, can be powered directly from the plug under the tank on my V7iii. My problem is somewhat more basic. This my 1st Gutz and my 1st fuel injected (all that electrical stuff in the tank) bike. How do I take the tank off this thing? There must be electrical connections and fuel connections under there. Undoing the screws/nuts which hold the tank is easy, but what do I expect to find? Are the various connectors just "pull off" jobs or are tools needed? Can I lift the tank enough to get my grubby little mudhooks in? I can't find any specific mention of tank removal in the Ssevice Manual.

Back