• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early V7 Radial Tire Thread

So, if I put those tyres onto my bike (spoked wheels) with tubes, does anyone know if such a night and day difference would be in evidence for me, or does having a tube in there take away most/all of the handling advantage?
My bike has spoked wheels, and I therefore run tubes.

Last edited:
So, if I put those tyres onto my bike (spoked wheels) with tubes, does anyone know if such a night and day difference would be in evidence for me, or does having a tube in there take away most/all of the handling advantage?
Yes, Google bias ply versus radial tire construction. Tubes or not, doesn't matter. Chris states his opinion above. Yes you will notice a difference if you have enough miles under you.

The point of this thread is to let people know about radial tires, not on what everyone is using outside of them. ;)

Just wondering if it would be ok to run these with inner tubes. I have a spoked Special.

I just purchased my Guzzi so don't have experience on the V7iii yet. Installed Continental road attack radials with tubes on my 71 BSA rocket 3 and it is a major improvement over the old Dunlop tt100 or Avons. Much better grip, especially in the rain. I only have 4000 km on them but they still look new so I suspect they will last much longer .

Thinking about trying the road attack 3's for my 2016 V7 II Stone. Any thoughts on switching to radials?

A quick ride report.

I've had the RA3's on the V7 Racer for two weeks now, and I've put a little over 700 miles on them so far.

They're remarkably better than the Pirelli Sports Demons that I had on the bike previously.

There were occasions when the Sports Demons had a bit of a squishy feeling to them; a feeling as if one didn't really know what the tire was going to do because it felt like it was distending between the road and the bike. It left a lingering sense of reduced confidence in what one could expect.

Completely the opposite with the RA3s. They feel so much more attached and really provide a good idea of what your tires are doing, where they're going, and how much more they have to give. The spongy feeling that the Sports Demons sometimes had is completely gone.

Near the end of last Sunday's ride I came a bit hot into a reverse-banked curve of decreasing radius that I didn't quite see through because of the setting sun. At that point I just needed more lean, and the RA3s performed admirably. I had the feedback that I needed to lean in and roll on the throttle to make a clean exit - and the confidence to know that the tires would stick through it. It was nice. In a situation like this the feedback from the Sports Demons would not have been so positive. They would have been much more nebulous.

So far, definite thumbs up.

A quick ride report.

I've had the RA3's on the V7 Racer for two weeks now, and I've put a little over 700 miles on them so far.

They're remarkably better than the Pirelli Sports Demons that I had on the bike previously.

There were occasions when the Sports Demons had a bit of a squishy feeling to them; a feeling as if one didn't really know what the tire was going to do because it felt like it was distending between the road and the bike. It left a lingering sense of reduced confidence in what one could expect.

Completely the opposite with the RA3s. They feel so much more attached and really provide a good idea of what your tires are doing, where they're going, and how much more they have to give. The spongy feeling that the Sports Demons sometimes had is completely gone.

Near the end of last Sunday's ride I came a bit hot into a reverse-banked curve of decreasing radius that I didn't quite see through because of the setting sun. At that point I just needed more lean, and the RA3s performed admirably. I had the feedback that I needed to lean in and roll on the throttle to make a clean exit - and the confidence to know that the tires would stick through it. It was nice. In a situation like this the feedback from the Sports Demons would not have been so positive. They would have been much more nebulous.

So far, definite thumbs up.

Great info! Did you stick with stock width or go 1 size up...?

there are no benefits from going to a larger size. There are un-benefits such as interfering with the handling characteristics that the manufacturer has designed for that motorcycle and the OEM size tires.

OK, so I now (finally) have access to a very limited count of the Conti RA IIIs. Ping me direct email if you want a set; Info at GuzziTech.com

+1 for the Conti RA3's

Many thanks to Todd for procuring & the professional install

All thoughts are in comparison to the stock Demons (v7ii stone '16):
- More confident feel in all scenarios
- These tires love to corner. First turn on them (a turn I take almost every time I ride) and I almost hit the curb (right-hand turn) because these just love to bite into the lean
- More mellow at high speeds. Particularly noticed when going over those little reflector bumps on the HOV double-yellow

Haven't had a chance to put any serious miles on them (only about 250+ around town), but I'm eagerly looking forward to some canyon runs this weekend to really see how they handle

Regards,
GR

The RA3's are what everyone wants. Not the 2's.
Here in Aus they have some common sizes in small numbers but not what we want until 2018.
Thinking i might run a set of Scorpion 2's in the interim .

Any idea what the difference between the RA2 and 3 is? I can't find much in Continentals' description

Last edited:
Any idea what the difference between the RA2 and 3 is? I can't find much in Continentals' description
Basically 3 is the upgraded version of 2.

Not saying 2 isn't good, it is just 3 is claimed to be that much more better.

Here is an article about it.
bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/continental-road-attack-3

And here is the article from the tire manufacture itself
continental-tires.com/motorcycle/media-services/newsroom/20170529-cra-3-testsieger-motorrad
continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack3

And my reartire has finally been located!!! AFTER 2 MONTHS of BACKORDERING!!!!...OMG anything to Canada is like asking a snail to deliver a rush package...

Ok I see. Sounds like the easier available tires like RA2 or SA2 will be good enough for me... Actually still happy with my BT45's.
I remember long time ago on the race track seeing a test rider of a magazine doing lap times on a R1100GS with Michelin T66 Dual Sport tires going 12 seconds quicker than me on a sport bike with sticky tires.... Lesson learned; in my case it was not the tires that needed improvement :)

This thread is really amazing. Got to say thanks to all you guys for doing the leg work. This basically solidified my thoughts on what to get next.

About to replace the rear tyre with probably another sport demon on my spoke rimmed V7ii Special.

Any updates on user experience for the rear version of the Conti Road attack 3?

Is it actually a radial tyre rather than cross ply? I thought I saw two versions of it on the Conti website one marked CR.

Is a radial tyre of value on a bike like the V7?

And lastly, I can't see the size specified in the manual. 130 / 80 - 17 65H. I'd be using it with original sport demon on front if it matters.

continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack3

All replies welcome thanks.

Back