• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Modifying stock V7 ii exhaust?

Urbansherpa

Just got it firing!
I have a 2016 V7 ii Racer. I presently do not wish to fork out a Grand (Cdn$) for a new exhaust. Perhaps I will in the future.
Is there ANY reasonable way to alter/mod the stock, factory exhaust for higher volume? Not looking for a hp gain....just decibels.
Cheers

I have a 2016 V7 ii Racer. I presently do not wish to fork out a Grand (Cdn$) for a new exhaust. Perhaps I will in the future.
Is there ANY reasonable way to alter/mod the stock, factory exhaust for higher volume? Not looking for a hp gain....just decibels.
Cheers

When you do that, you may need fueling mods to compensate for the flow difference. Correcting fueling isn't cheap either.

I have a 2016 V7 ii Racer. Is there ANY reasonable way to alter/mod the stock, factory exhaust for higher volume? Not looking for a hp gain....just decibels.
Define reasonable. Meaning cheap and easy? If so, no. If you have fabrication and welding skills, sure. The mufflers have cat-cons, and the baffling is basically a metal plug that forces the exhaust in ways you can't imagine it can actually flow. Remove the cat, drill through the baffle with a really long drill bit that fits in the outer opening. That's all I can offer, nothing else.

I can understand trying to modify the exhaust to get more performance or better mileage, but simply to make it louder? Why would you want to?

Ummm.....same reason MOST people do so. I've had several bikes and any exhaust mod I've ever done has made a nearly indiscernible performance gain. Maybe 10% increase in hp? Maybe. I wouldn't notice it unless racing. I'm older, and no longer race.
I think that a lot of times the louder volume of a modified exhaust makes the bike SOUND more powerful, but unless you dyno it, you may never know. I like the throaty sound of a more open exhaust. I'd think that most gearheads would, too.
Do you think Harley riders do it for more hp?

Ummm.....same reason MOST people do so. I've had several bikes and any exhaust mod I've ever done has made a nearly indiscernible performance gain. Maybe 10% increase in hp? Maybe. I wouldn't notice it unless racing. I'm older, and no longer race.
I think that a lot of times the louder volume of a modified exhaust makes the bike SOUND more powerful, but unless you dyno it, you may never know. I like the throaty sound of a more open exhaust. I'd think that most gearheads would, too.
Do you think Harley riders do it for more hp?

Most exhaust mods without other corresponding changes actually can make the machine run not as well as stock. Any modification you make in one area, requires corresponding modifications to keep or gain performance.

UMaybe 10% increase in hp? Maybe.
Best of luck there :wondering:. Even a system carefully designed from the exhaust port out, and with fueling mods to compensate would struggle to give you 10% - assuming no other performance mods.
However, I agree that a sweet sound can more than make up for that minor disappointment.

I am not a fan of super loud, obnoxious loud exhaust.
BUT
There is nothing like hearing & feeling the vibe of an Italian V-Twin with "less restrictive" exhaust twisting at 5000 & above.
Love my Griso with Todds under carriage system.

Most exhaust mods without other corresponding changes actually can make the machine run not as well as stock. Any modification you make in one area, requires corresponding modifications to keep or gain performance.

So true John, folks seeking performance improvements need to take into account the entire motor. More noise alone is not a performance improvement. It may sound faster or the seat of the pants dunno may lead you to believe it's a faster bike but that's simply not the case.

Paul

Best of luck there :wondering:. Even a system carefully designed from the exhaust port out, and with fueling mods to compensate would struggle to give you 10% - assuming no other performance mods.
However, I agree that a sweet sound can more than make up for that minor disappointment.
Yes. My thought, exactly. Louder 'sounds' like more power....but isn't (much). The throaty rumble of a twin is a beautiful sound that I can't get enough of.

*All the best to anyone riding in DGR this Sunday.

I can understand trying to modify the exhaust to get more performance or better mileage, but simply to make it louder? Why would you want to?

Actually I would like just a few dB more. In city traffic it's a safety thing to be noticed. The stock Arrow exhaust of the V7II Stornello is more noticeable than the usual stock exhaust of V7II's, but still would like it a bit louder. Not vulgar loud, just a bit. Performance is fine as it is.

On the Stornello the back end plug can be screwed out, it comes out velded with the db-killer. I am thinking of drilling some more holes in it - and put it back in. And for MOT just reverse by putting some metal plate temporarily around the new holes. I'm sure there are better ways but all much more expensive.

Actually I would like just a few dB more. In city traffic it's a safety thing to be noticed. The stock Arrow exhaust of the V7II Stornello is more noticeable than the usual stock exhaust of V7II's, but still would like it a bit louder. Not vulgar loud, just a bit. Performance is fine as it is.

On the Stornello the back end plug can be screwed out, it comes out velded with the db-killer. I am thinking of drilling some more holes in it - and put it back in. And for MOT just reverse by putting some metal plate temporarily around the new holes. I'm sure there are better ways but all much more expensive.

In relation to your other post about popping:
If you do this it is going to get worse & without "fixing" the issue (fuel mapping / computer reflash)

You are going to start going down the rabbit hole of spending little bits of money here & there getting more frustrated until you either spend the money to fix the bike OR sell the bike for way less than you have invested.

I have bought many fine machines for very reasonable prices from people who bad mouthed Guzzi doing exactly what you are doing.

PS: Loud exhaust is not a "safety.... to be noticed thing", anyone depending on that to stay out of trouble is a statistic waiting to be logged.

Learn to ride with eyes wide open.

In relation to your other post about popping:
If you do this it is going to get worse & without "fixing" the issue (fuel mapping / computer reflash)

You are going to start going down the rabbit hole of spending little bits of money here & there getting more frustrated until you either spend the money to fix the bike OR sell the bike for way less than you have invested.

I have bought many fine machines for very reasonable prices from people who bad mouthed Guzzi doing exactly what you are doing.

PS: Loud exhaust is not a "safety.... to be noticed thing", anyone depending on that to stay out of trouble is a statistic waiting to be logged.

Learn to ride with eyes wide open.
Listen to this ^^ man. He's right on all counts!

Cheers
Not sure where you got your bike from, but I got mine from George at Corsa in Toronto. He gave me a sweet deal on Canadian made Hindles. Keep in mind no removable baffles, so you can't make them quieter...they are pretty much open.

Now before you run out and get them, mine went on at the dealership, new bike never run with the stock mufflers with stock fuelling. Now it became quickly apparent that the fuelling needed to be done (bike ran like crap with back firing during cold starting).

Got a map from Todd and the bike runs great now. Hindle quality is decent enough and he's local if they need to be repaired. But if i had to do it again i would spent another 300-400 cdn and get Todd's reverse cone megs as i like the look a bit better. i'm sure they'd be solid too.

If i was you, i would touch anything until you have the $ to do it right.

Not sure where you got your bike from, but I got mine from George at Corsa in Toronto. He gave me a sweet deal on Canadian made Hindles. Keep in mind no removable baffles, so you can't make them quieter...they are pretty much open.

Now before you run out and get them, mine went on at the dealership, new bike never run with the stock mufflers with stock fuelling. Now it became quickly apparent that the fuelling needed to be done (bike ran like crap with back firing during cold starting).

Got a map from Todd and the bike runs great now. Hindle quality is decent enough and he's local if they need to be repaired. But if i had to do it again i would spent another 300-400 cdn and get Todd's reverse cone megs as i like the look a bit better. i'm sure they'd be solid too.

If i was you, i would touch anything until you have the $ to do it right.

Thanks JPV. I saw George last week for my 1000km service. He's quite a character. Great guy. I could have spent all day talking to him! I actually bought my V7 ii Racer in Montreal. (A LOT cheaper...$8299 / $6600USD)
I think I'll end up buying off Todd, here. So, there is no place near the GTA that can do a remap? How much does a remap cost? Cheers

Yes, George is a character - good guy and he will help you however he can. Nothing I know of near GTA.

I've heard that said for decades. Frankly I reckon it's just weak justification for liking loud exhausts. I love a nice exhaust note, but I don't feel the need to justify my choice. There's also the fact that most cars now-a-days are well sound proofed and the occupants, as often as not, have seriously loud excuses for music playing.

I reckon you just make it sound how you like and be satisfied with your choice.
(That'll be 2c thank you. Pay as you leave :p)

OP here

Check out these videos from a dude who drilled out his exhausts. I've been in contact with him and he says it takes ten minutes per, and a few 2" hole saws to gut the mufflers. Says it's not as loud as a straight pipe, but definitely much louder than stock. This is basically what I'm looking for. I like the look of the factory exhaust, and this is hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I'd like to know if the forum members here think it is a feasible solution, and any detrimental effects that this operation may have.

Thanks

Back