• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to changing my fuel filter out for one of the all metal variety a couple weeks ago with about 10,000 miles on the clock, and just got to take it on its first decent ride since the filter swap of about 130 miles round trip. When I first changed it out and fired it up, I thought the bike was running smoother with the new filter, but I assumed that this was more psychological than real. I fueled up on the way out for my recent trip, and then again when I returned, and as is my habit I calculated my gas mileage. I have always been a bit disappointed in the mileage that I got on the V7. I usually get around 42 mpg on mostly highway trips and 39 or 40 with more time on city roads. On this trip though, I got 47 mpg. Could the new filter have smoothed out the V7 AND improved its gas mileage? Or am I imagining the smoothness; and is the mileage a fluke? Admittedly, this is just one trip, and lots of things can affect mileage. Perhaps there is something that I am not accounting for.

Curious if anybody else has had similar experiences.

My dealer friend just had to retrieve a new V7 III 200 miles out from the shop as the bike quit on the customer as he was riding the bike home.
Upon inspection it was discovered that the two part fuel filter had separated stopping flow and all further forward motion.
This will be remedied with a all metal replacement.

I contacted Mahle customer services in the UK about this. They told me that filter was designed to work only with diesel fuel. They did send me two KL145 all metal filters though.

Funny. They told me it was designed for non-ethanol gasoline only.

Both you and Brian would be correct as diesel does not have ethanol added in there but rather sulfur.

I have been delaying my inevitable of filter splitting by using ethanol free gas up in Canada as much as possible...althought I don't think US has this option and yet I believe I read somewhere they are actually going to increase ethanol contents from another article.

Gotta get to me as I already purchased the filter...just been riding too much :p

I will stubbornly maintain that I still believe the ones the fail will do so quickly (like new bike stranded in 200 miles) and that otherwise they'll likely last as well as anything.

This is based on the extremely low number of reports of failures coupled with destructive analysis of some old ones.

My last one was 3-4 years old when it maintained integrity with more than 100 psi (maybe it was 120 I forget), meaning 3-4x more then the operating pressures of the fuel system.

Change em if you want to, but if you get past the warranty you're probably fine indefinitely.

Last edited:
Timmy the Hog, yes we do have ethanol free gas, at least here in Oregon. 92 octane. Mainly independent stations.

Failure at 1200 mile after 2 weeks ownership here on my V 7 III. Just replace the damn thing and be done with it, jeezzzzz. It's a cheap and easy solution to a potential problem that could leave you stranded at roadside. If you enjoy that kind of adventure, well, just ride on.

Paul

Timmy the Hog, yes we do have ethanol free gas, at least here in Oregon. 92 octane. Mainly independent stations.

ah...good to know...maybe just the stations that I visited didn't have them...

mostly the Washington states stations I have visited...

I was concerned about the fuel filter on my 2016 V7II Stone so I decided to change it. I have a station that sell E0 premium that is three miles from my house so that is what I normally use, but when traveling I use tier one fuel that usually is E10.

The filter was a steel/plastic combo and the plastic was brown and swollen but not cracked or leaking.
P1000433-L.jpg

As I was swapping out the filter I noticed this:
P1000434a-L.jpg

What is it? I found no reference to in the parts or service manuals, and no hoses in the tank to connect to it.
A guess is that it is a check/pressure relief valve for the return line from the fuel injectors, a feature not found on V7IIs.
Anybody know what it is?

As we told you on WG, that's the fuel pressure regulator. It's typically a diaphragm and spring loaded device that controls the opening of a pressure bleed off valve.

The valve opening bleeds off excess fuel pressure so the high pressure circuit maintains a constant expected operating pressure (which is how the ECM can precisely meter fuel with injector dwell time).

The pressure regulator bleeds this pressure with spray directly back into the tank.

As we told you on WG, that's the fuel pressure regulator. It's typically a diaphragm and spring loaded device that controls the opening of a pressure bleed off valve.

The valve opening bleeds off excess fuel pressure so the high pressure circuit maintains a constant expected operating pressure (which is how the ECM can precisely meter fuel with injector dwell time).

The pressure regulator bleeds this pressure with spray directly back into the tank.
That's what I thought. But why is it there? It is not connected to anything - I looked for a tube inside the tank.

That's what I thought. But why is it there? It is not connected to anything - I looked for a tube inside the tank.

It is connected, under the mount, probably in a passage that's part of the flange judging from those photos.

I was concerned about the fuel filter on my 2016 V7II Stone so I decided to change it. I have a station that sell E0 premium that is three miles from my house so that is what I normally use, but when traveling I use tier one fuel that usually is E10.

The filter was a steel/plastic combo and the plastic was brown and swollen but not cracked or leaking.
P1000433-L.jpg

As I was swapping out the filter I noticed this:
P1000434a-L.jpg

What is it? I found no reference to in the parts or service manuals, and no hoses in the tank to connect to it.
A guess is that it is a check/pressure relief valve for the return line from the fuel injectors, a feature not found on V7IIs.
Anybody know what it is?

The plastic on my failed filter was soft and had separated from the metal at the seam. The 2 halves had almost completely separated.

Paul

It is connected, under the mount, probably in a passage that's part of the flange judging from those photos.
OK, makes sense. Looking at my other photo I can imagine the passage to the valve. I'm not pulling the pump from the tank to look at it closer.

Replaced the filter on my '13 Special on the weekend. Original filter wasn't anywhere near as swollen and bloated, I'll put that down to different countries fuel types etc.

Took a lot of fiddling to get out. Not so much fiddling to put back in...

Had a check engine light come up on the dash first time I went for ride after putting the new filter in. Stayed on while I went around the block. Came home, turned the bike off, waited for about 10 seconds, turned the bike back on, started, no more check engine light...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back