• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Racer or Anniversario- that is the question..

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I am torn, but need to decide soon: Should I buy the Anniversario or a Racer (both 2016 and 2017 are available). I know, I know, a very subjective question. And very different bikes, but I like both. Feel free to weigh in and try to convince me! Performance should be the same, so it’s really a question of style, on the one hand, and comfiness on the other...

Well, I'm much more comfortable riding the Racer ... but I bought a dual seat and might get the grab rail from the Anniversario for when I want to go traveling. Racer in stock configuration is a little tricky to put a bag onto that will carry enough for a good long trip due to the high upswept exhausts, so a dual seat gives a platform to fit a bag onto. If I can figure enough mounting points for the bag without needing a grab rail, it's a ten second switch over from normal monoposto to dual seat configuration.

The bag I'm using is a Nelson Rigg SL-3000, more than enough space for a coast to coast trip for me.

Like them both but purely aesthetics:

2016 Racer
Likes - Clip-ons
Likes - Red Frame
Likes - Up-swept Exhaust
Likes - Alum Side Covers
No-Like - Grey Tank
No-Like - Buy passenger pegs

2017 Anniverario
Likes - Tank
Likes - 2-up brown seat and passenger pegs
Likes - Latest engine design
Likes - Grab Bar
No-Like - Low Exhaust
No-Like - Side Covers ugly

As others said, you don't have a bad choice. I like things with either. Guess it might come down to pricing for me but also I would know I needed to get another seat and pegs which isn't difficult. If you were not a fan of the racer tank I know some folks dislike the plated tanks and you may even be able to do a swap. Most importantly, post a picture of what you get!

Spam Note to anyone here. I do have a new Verde Legnano (Green Tank) should anyone find themselves in the market.

Um, why did you compare the 2016 of one model vs the 2017 of the other? The V7III Racer has both the latest engine design and passenger pegs, never mind the other improvements.

If you need two up seating, just get the brown dual seat and the grab rail. If you must have a chrome tank, well, get that too. :)

(Personally, I kinda like the brushed silver Racer tank; I"m not a big fan of chrome-plated tanks. A "Guzzi flat racing green" Racer would be pretty cool looking too, actually! But I'm not actually in the market for a tank.)

Um, why did you compare the 2016 of one model vs the 2017 of the other? The V7III Racer has both the latest engine design and passenger pegs, never mind the other improvements.

If you need two up seating, just get the brown dual seat and the grab rail. If you must have a chrome tank, well, get that too. :)

(Personally, I kinda like the brushed silver Racer tank; I"m not a big fan of chrome-plated tanks. A "Guzzi flat racing green" Racer would be pretty cool looking too, actually! But I'm not actually in the market for a tank.)

You are correct.....I thought the OP mentioned the Racer was a 2016 vs the Anniversario was a 2017. I like the 17 brushed tank.........not a fan of the 16 grey two-tone.

Well, Anniversario it is! Three hour drive there on my Royal Enfield, three hour drive back on my Anniversario. Sore hip flexors...

I really thought I would end up with the 2016 Racer, which was on a major sale and which I loved riding the first short test ride a few weeks ago. But a longer ride today convinced me that the ergonomics weren’t for me, so the Anniversario it was! Mostly very happy happy with it.
I’ll put it on the registry page soon, with pics if I can figure out how!
Thanks to all for the feedback!

Nice! Of the V7 III's the Anniversario is the only one that I am envious of. Beautiful bike!

You absolutely did the right thing by doing a longer test ride on the Racer.
You're going to love this bike. You'll be looking for excuses to ride it, and it was a good choice to go with the one that fits you better.

Last edited:
Well, kudos to you for doing three hours on a Royal Enfield! :clap:

I actually like those beasts and have a few back-road miles on a new Cafe model. That said, cannot imagine that long a ride without a long walk every hour or so. As I suspect you already know by now, your V7 is a way more comfortable steed, though it, too, is not the premier slab machine. But it sure shines on the back roads ... and you don't need to plan ahead to assault a hill as at least I needed with the RE I rode.

Not sure if you are a longtime resident of D.C. and know the area well, but my part of the world -- the Real Northern Virginia :giggle: -- has stupendous roads that are in relatively easy reach for you.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 5396

Aside from the obvious terrain features on the map that make for grand riding, here's a video example of a road that starts 1/2 mile from my driveway:

So, Maggiore, if you don't already know some or many of those, come out to Cross Junction some time (uhm ... let's wait 'til spring for the ride, tho wrenching and benchracing are year-long activities at the Moto Grappa. :rofl:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 341

Best,

Bill

To be honest, I find the new V7 less comfortable than my old Royal Enfield... I put a slightly lowered Biltwell seat on the Enfield, and pulled back the bars a bit, and had a perfect riding position for me. The V7III feels just a bit too upright to me, and I don't like how the seat forces me forward. And I really don't like the position of the foot pegs, which are right where I want to put my feet every time I stop. And since I do almost all city riding I am putting my feet up and down constantly, and constantly banging on the foot pegs. I am just about ready to put it into winter storage, but come spring I think I will put a flat seat on it and new bars with more pullback. That should give me a more relaxe position, and I hope also allow me to put my feet comfortably and consistently behind the pegs.

Having said all that, there is certainly much to like about the new Anniversario! My problem with the Enfield was not comfort but rather the lack of power (at 500cc) and quality of construction. With regard to the latter, from the day I got it I had problems with shifting that I could never get straightened out, as well as problems with stalling due (apparently) to fuel mapping. I also had, in less than two years, a blown shock and kickstart gasket, and a rear drum brake that locked up at the drop of hat. Needless to say the V7III has much better pick up, much smoother shifting, and much more reliable braking. (Though it does seem to me like it could use more torque in the lower gears.) And overall quality of construction seems better, though only time will tell I guess.

Looks like some very nice riding over in your neck of the woods! I may well take you up on the invitation to go for a ride come spring. I am in MD, just outside DC,, but might be worth a trip... Thanks!

Well, kudos to you for doing three hours on a Royal Enfield! :clap:

I actually like those beasts and have a few back-road miles on a new Cafe model. That said, cannot imagine that long a ride without a long walk every hour or so. As I suspect you already know by now, your V7 is a way more comfortable steed, though it, too, is not the premier slab machine. But it sure shines on the back roads ... and you don't need to plan ahead to assault a hill as at least I needed with the RE I rode.

Not sure if you are a longtime resident of D.C. and know the area well, but my part of the world -- the Real Northern Virginia :giggle: -- has stupendous roads that are in relatively easy reach for you.

View attachment 13990

Aside from the obvious terrain features on the map that make for grand riding, here's a video example of a road that starts 1/2 mile from my driveway:

So, Maggiore, if you don't already know some or many of those, come out to Cross Junction some time (uhm ... let's wait 'til spring for the ride, tho wrenching and benchracing are year-long activities at the Moto Grappa. :rofl:

View attachment 13991

Best,

Bill

Did you get used to the position of the pegs and adjust how you put your feet down before you put the bike to bed? If not, you probably will in the spring.
Let’s have a photo now and a photo when you make your changes. It’s always good to see how others make subtle (or not-so-subtle) changes to the standard machine.

Did you get used to the position of the pegs and adjust how you put your feet down before you put the bike to bed? If not, you probably will in the spring.
Let’s have a photo now and a photo when you make your changes. It’s always good to see how others make subtle (or not-so-subtle) changes to the standard machine.

Will keep you posted. So far the only thing I've done is put on the side bag from Baak, along with their replacement fairing on the other side of the bike. Like these plain metal fairings better than stock. I have not been able to ride it due to whether for a couple of weeks I guess, but rode it to work this morning on a nice sunny day. My pants have cuffs, and they kept getting caught on those pegs! So I will definitely be working on that before spring. Planning to put on either LSL Brooks bars or Baak's N01 handlebars, both of which should give me more pull back, and then a flatter seat (probably Baak's).

Guzzi 3 Guzzi 2 Guzzi 1

Back