• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is a California jackal a good bike?

Gusable

Tuned and Synch'ed
im not a cruiser guy but I like the jackal. Is that a good bike? What kind of problems do they have what should I look for?

The '00-02 (Jackal/Bassa/EV) and '07-12 California 1100 are some of the best Guzzi's made. I still have and love my '00 Jackal with over 165k miles on it; https://www.guzzitech.com/thebikes/ToddsJackal.html
If you can find an '02 non-hydraulic lifter model "Stone" - that is one of the best made of that period. The '07+ Cal Vintage is on par as well.

I would recommend to stay away from the (some) '02-05 1100's with hydraulic lifters (not the Jackal).

I had a hydraulic lifter EV. Never gave an issue. In fact, the factory update wasn't done until the bike had over 40K miles. Never any trouble from that engine. However, I did not run the recommended 10W40, but Mobil 1 15W50.

I had a hydraulic lifter EV. Never gave an issue. In fact, the factory update wasn't done until the bike had over 40K miles. Never any trouble from that engine. However, I did not run the recommended 10W40, but Mobil 1 15W50.

I think they're a sweet motor too (especially after the conversion). All my three have been sold on, bit of a shame but that's progress.

I believe the final oil spec was 5W40.

So a solid lifter 1100 bike is what should look at! I see quite a few here and there for sale. Thx for the help!

I have a 2001 Jackal. It has pushrods activating the rocker arms. After about 100 Jap bikes this is the bike that has turned me into an unrepentant Guzziholic. I never want any other brand bike now. The Jackal has tons of torque, pulls like Arnold Schwarzennegger at 16 and in the words of a riding buddy who rode a 1700cc Harley, the Jackal is a "Rocket" Nice comparison huh? I LOVE mine to bits. I now have a second Guzzi, a Bellagio and want more..........................

This came up after my Jackal video. Freaked me out, The Jackal has so many possibilities for customisation. Wait till you see the JacKatana !

I think I made a big mistake back in 2008 when I bought my 2007 Norge from Speaker's. Sometime in the course of the next year or so he offered me a brand new Jackal that somebody had put a deposit on and never picked up. He said give me the $6000 owed on it and you can have it. I said I already have the Norge why do I want another Guzzi? I've regretted that decision just for not trying it to see how I liked it. I probably wouldn't have lost any money on it even if I hated it and sold it.

My 2001 has been here for ten years, now just over 100K km (62K miles). Only one real failure: the TPS quit a few years ago, easily replaced, as I had learned from this site how to set it up. Not even fork seals...
If you are not a cruiser guy, a recent thread about rear-sets, plus super bike bars and a better seat will get you going in the right direction.
Sintered bronze brake pads will give you plenty without double discs.
If you want to spend some money on a good one, find a Dynojet tuning center, (after installing a Power Commander); there is a lot of power hidden here, basically the difference between "emission fueling" and "optimum fueling".
The Jackal is a stone axe. You'll love it,

My '00 Jackal, sold at 72k miles. Airbox mod, K&N, Power Commander, H crossover, LaFranconi muffs. 13.2 sec. quarter mile @ 101.5 mph. 12743637 1144633918900672 5648877396295456268 n

Last edited:
Hi Geezer.
Nice bike. Tell me did you put the Power Commander on and what difference did it make to the bike?

Man, that was about 15 years ago, I don't remember who put it together, but I know it wasn't me!!!
Probably Tony Foster at PSC in Daytona Beach. Sorry !!!

I have had my 2000 Jackal for 11 years. It is as solid as a rock. I have had no problems or issues. It is easy to work on and tune-up; and trust me, I am not a hot shot mechanic. Also you can add accessories and upgrades very easily that customizes it to you and your riding style.

I purchased a 2001 Jackal last year from the original owner, who had bought it back from a guy he sold it to before!
Got it with 42,000 miles. Bike was in great shape-needed the usual consumables tnded to as well as a new stator/rotor/regulator.

The bike had LaFranconie pipes and crossover and ran well enough but started a bit hard and popped a bit. Now, after a real tough WNY winter, I got the bike out the other day for the first time as I was very anxious to see how it would run with the new "brain".

It runs FANTASTIC. Much smoother (which I didn't know it needed as it seemed fine), starts right up, no popping in decel, and pulls like a freight train. Another great job done by GuzziTech.

Back