• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Kudos for Richmond Dealer

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
So, I had been concerned about my Stornello's "dandruff" problem, i.e., some flaking of paint, or primer, or overspray, or something just inside the fuel tank under the cap.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 4361

I decided to follow that up with an inquiry to a dealer.

Underwhelmed by the (unrelated) post-sale responsiveness of the dealer where I bought my Stornello last summer, I contacted the Richmond dealer where my brother had bought a new V7 III Special this past August; Scoot (&/or Moto) Richmond, https://www.motorichmond.com. Richmond is only three hours way, and, as all Guzzisti know, a "nearby" dealer means one within a day's ride.

I asked in an email about their thoughts on a local fix or warranty claim or whatever. I worried that I was concerned about nothing; wouldn't be the first time.

FWIW, I am not one of those folks who complain when one instrument needle fades to a different shade from another in the sun! [Was there when a Bassa owner raised that to Zen Moto in Atlanta.] I was, however, concerned lest flaking paint might lead potentially to more serious problems, e.g., fouling fuel and filter if particles get into fuel or if the flaking “migrated” upward and implicated actual paint.

I sent my email inquiry at about 9:30 a.m. last Wednesday. Before 4:30 p.m. that same day, Moto Richmond / Scoot Richmond’s Service Advisor, “Rachael,” sent me this:

"Hi Bill, Your gas tank replacement has been approved! I will contact you when we receive it. Moto Guzzi will send it to us with in a week or two. I'll be in touch soon. Have a great day.”

Wow! I’ve been around Guzzis for awhile and seen lots of dealers that spanned the spectrum from dismal to great, but I have never seen a one-day turnaround on a warranty inquiry. Cynics might (understandably) think that it ain’t over ’til the corpulent woman in Mandello actually sends the tank, but I am still impressed.

My obvious (and overlong) point is that if you need Guzzi warranty or other work, don't overlook Moto Richmond. They also sell and service Triumph, Zero, and Piaggio products.

Bill

There seems to be a little rust developing too. The bare metal would soon begin rusting as well.
It sounds like you've found a good dealer. I hope I do as well when I choose one in Montreal for recall work on my Norge next spring.

Last edited:
There seems to be a little rust developing as well. The bare metal would soon begin rusting as well.
It sounds like you've found a good dealer. I hope I do as well when I choose one in Montreal for recall work on my Norge next spring.

Actually, tho enlarging that pic leads to that "rust" thinking, believe it to be, instead, some residue from the commie ethanevil we are compelled to use here, tho it may be from some other more benign additives. Anyway, will check more closely later today but think that wipes off. If rust, sure validates the need for replacing/fixing.

With your Norge's tank, as you likely know, ethanol can cause dimpling and blistering, and, worse, enlarge the tank to the point that it no longer fits. Not just BTDT, but ATDT. :swear:

I routinely use Startron and similar products, but corn water had taken its toll. :cry:

I just bought a used "extra" tank for mine and plan to R&R the original soon with the smaller (!) newer one. I will dry the former out over winter and look into coatings if it shrinks back (as others say they will) over time.

Best wishes with yours.

Bill

Just an update.

Rachael at MotoRichmond called me a few days ago and said tank was in. She wanted me to come in right away -- Christmas may be a busier time on the sales side of the house than in service -- but The She in my life made it clear that it was even busier here so I made an appointment after Christmas.
whistle.gif

All in all, pretty amazing service support.

Bill

I concur. Scoot Richmond is a great dealership. My experience with them is nothing but positive. They went to bat for me with a warranty claim that Piaggio initially denied and got the job approved. You talk to the staff and you know you are with motorcycle people not posers. Chelsea, the owner is terrific to deal with and rides herself as indeed I believe they all do.

My obvious (and overlong) point is that if you need Guzzi warranty or other work, don't overlook Moto Richmond. They also sell and service Triumph, Zero, and Piaggio products.

Bill

Thanks Bill. AT this point Moto Richmond may just be my "local" Moto-Guzzi dealer. I live in Bel Air, MD just a short 185 mile trip!

Thanks Bill. AT this point Moto Richmond may just be my "local" Moto-Guzzi dealer. I live in Bel Air, MD just a short 185 mile trip!

Apologies for the delayed response.

While my own experience there will have me go out of my way to use Moto-Richmond when needed, in your case is not La Moto in Arlington much closer?

https://www.lamotowashington.com/we-repair-your-motorcycle-scooter--service

And, for non-warranty work -- tho still a haul for you -- Winchester Motosports in Clear Brook has done great "out of my reach" or "too skeered to do myself" work for me.

Finally, if sympathy, lift, and tools (and beer!) are enough, there's always my Moto Grappa in Cross Junction. ;)

Bill

Back