• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GPS Connections on V7 II & III's?

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Help me out with a quintessential "dumb question." Actually, several, albeit related.

Searched here first; apologies if I missed the answer(s).

So ... do the V7 III's have a TomTom GPS connector hidden away as do some other earlier Guzzis?

V7 II's, and, in particular, Stornellos?

Grazie mille.

Bill

I believe this is an accessory purchase: the Moto Guzzi Multimedia Platform and installation kit for V7II/V7III. I’m interested to find out more about it too, I just saw it in the accessory catalog.

Thanks so much for posting this question. I had been powering mine with a long SAE cable run off of a battery tender pigtail.

I found this photo on an internet search, mine has the green plug also. Some have posted that they cut it off and wire a SAE port there but I would rather find a proper female plug for it and run a short pigtail to a SAE instead.

20170627_122931.jpg

This is the plug that is supposed to work per reports on this site.

BMW REPAIR PLUG, 2-PIN Part # 83300402344

I believe this is an accessory purchase: the Moto Guzzi Multimedia Platform and installation kit for V7II/V7III. I’m interested to find out more about it too, I just saw it in the accessory catalog.

I looked on the app store and reviews for the app platform that feeds off this have been terrible. High cost and it doesn't even properly report things like lean angle/speed/etc. For now I am staying far away, although would be very cool if they could figure it out...

Hmm. I looked on the App Store too and there are only two reviews .. One says "Yecch", the other seemed to think highly of it. That's not enough user review to make a judgement about it.

Don't know if I'll do it, I am just curious about what it offers.
I've never used things like this in the past, can't see why I'd need or want them.

The image I posted was not my '16 but the plug is on mine. It is a little harder to find pointing downwards behind other wires.

Perhaps I misread what others said, above, but I originally thought that the bottom line was no GPS connectors on V7 III's and most II's. After rereading before posting this just now, not sure I am right about that.

Be that as it may, I didn't think my Stornello had one. It does.

In the course of the "Moto Grappa Tech Days" -- a wrenching and drinking party here while Kathi's out of town! Yes, of course (too many) pix follow soon :clap: -- over the past few week, one of my 10 "assistants" discovered this while wiring some Chinesium auxiliary lights to the Stornello:

YWK3tsG4SZCR6Wusxc4oaQ thumb 5c67

How about that? :)

Bill

I can state absolutely definitely that the V7iii does NOT have a TomTom plug hidden away somewhere. However, under the seat there is a spare plug which has switched 12v on it. It's there to acomodate an OEM Guzzi USB socket. Their USB socket price is extortionate. However, I'm using the plug to power my TomTom and an after-market USB socket. Will carefully secrete the wiring along the frame under the tank and mount both on my handlebars. There is 12v on that plug - NOT 5v, the output from a USB.

D. thanks for that. I'gave up looking. mind putting a pic up sometime so i get the right one.

This shot is from the rear of the bike. The plug with the blue and orange wires is the spare switched 12v.
The 8 pin plug I believe is the connector for the MG multimedia thingy.
The one in the middle is the flash tool plug.
You need to dig around a bit to fish them out.
UnderSeat 01

This is just the same viewed from the left side
UnderSeat 02

... and this is my new sheepskin seat cover. Bought the sheepskin and had a good friend, who is an upholsterer, make the fitted cover for me. Luxury!
WoolySeat

Useful pix of connectors; thanks.

OTOH, that seat cover reminds me of a sofa in a brothel ... well, at least of what I have heard might be in one. ;)

Seriously, as with opinions generally, we all have different reactions to OEM saddles. I must have no nerve endings in my ssa at all as I even like the stock EV saddle, a seat that nearly every other owner and reviewer pans -- NPI :clap: -- as painful to the extreme. My brother, Michael, who has an identical machine to yours, may want to get the name of your upholsterer friend.

Bill

P.S. That C-Bow set-up is mighty fine. My experiences with it on the Griso led to mounting same on Michael's V7 III. I have the soft bags, and plan to swap with him for his new -- much more useful -- harder ones. He'll never notice. :giggle:

VSibosTTQ0ePci7M89b10A thumb 58ba

OTOH, that seat cover reminds me of a sofa in a brothel ... well, at least of what I have heard might be in one. ;)
The brothels must be posh in your neighbourhood :rofl:. Imo lambswool seats are 2nd to none for comfort. I've used them for decades now.

Thus far the C-bow system has been flawless. I just wish the panniers were bigger.

Thanks for identifying the other two connectors under the seat.

I'm a bit of a fusty, old fashioned guy when it comes to GPS and other electrical add-ons on a motorcycle: I've never used an electric vest, gloves, jacket, heated grips, etc .. Or a GPS unit. I use my iPhone for GPS and directions, review the route, and memorize it before setting off. If I need to charge the iPhone along the way, I have several small supplementary batteries that I can charge it up with, they have enough power to keep it charged for up for a week away from a regular electrical plug ... but I've never needed to charge it more than once on a long day outing (small sailboat, no AC power).

To the seat discussion:

Sadly, lambswool covers on seats always make me itch. :(
They also make my connection to the seat go numb, which makes it harder for me to feel what the rear wheel is doing traction-wise, which I find cuts into my pleasure tossing the bike through the wigglies.

Luckily, Racer's stock seat is extremely comfortable for my posterior: I've ridden up to just shy of 200 miles in a session now with it and no problems whatever. But it leaves little option for luggage, along with Racer's upswept pipes. That's what I got the Comfort Gel seat to solve (toss a bag on the passenger section). It's comfortable enough, but the gel stuffing is a bit higher density than the standard saddle and might not be as comfortable for me over a long day's riding. To solve that potential problem, I bought an AirHawk cushion (on sale at at going out of business sale...) which can strap on in case I need a little pressure point relief. It'll cut into feel the same as lambswool, but that point in the day I'm usually just hunting for a motel to get some sleep... :)

I like that H-B C-bow system a lot. It doesn't fit properly with Racer's upswept mufflers, but perhaps I'll ask Todd to modify it like he did for his rental Racer at some point...

Seriously, as with opinions generally, we all have different reactions to OEM saddles. I must have no nerve endings in my ssa at all as I even like the stock EV saddle, a seat that nearly every other owner and reviewer pans -- NPI :clap: -- as painful to the extreme. My brother, Michael, who has an identical machine to yours, may want to get the name of your upholsterer friend.

Bill

P.S. That C-Bow set-up is mighty fine. My experiences with it on the Griso led to mounting same on Michael's V7 III. I have the soft bags, and plan to swap with him for his new -- much more useful -- harder ones. He'll never notice. :giggle:

View attachment 14280

Not to thread jack, but I love those hard bags! Would it be possible to get a picture from the rear with them on? I have the Oval soft bags currently, the Orbit hard bags weren't available yet but I would have waited for them had I known! I'm mostly wondering how wide overall the bike is with them installed. And I think I read somewhere that you have to lock/unlock them every time you need to open and close them, meaning you can't just leave them unlocked, is that true? Thank you! And I hope I didn't step on any toes!

As per the initial thread, I plan to order that BMW plug so that I don't have to cut up the bikes' wiring and I can still have power at the bars!

^^^^^^^

Unless another C-Bow hard-bag owner gets that done first, I'll ask my brother to take that rear-view shot.

That pic was of his V7 III Special in Atlanta. My V7 is a Stornello.

I agree that the hard bags look great on my bro's V7 ... and the pic I chose is hardly the most flattering angle.

Bill

Back