• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM ECU V7 & V9 Flash Tool

A few weeks on and still happy as a pig in shyte. The around town slow speed manners still amaze me.

A few more bits in the chute now, from Todd. When they arrive the Gutz will come off the road for a day or 2 (or3) for semi-major mod program. Tank off first to change the internal filter. While it's off I'll remove the tank breather/canister system and the forced air system. Bits for that are on their way. I'll also install a new, small after-market fuse panel with ccts for my Tom Tom, phone charger, a cigarette lighter power socket and wiring for extra driving lights - yet to come. Relays where appropriate. On that note, I'll rewire the horn via a relay, ready for a real horn in the future.

Finally, I have one of Todd's beautifully crafted 2>2 exhaust systems, with the GP Megs to install. I'm going to do that during my mod program. When that arrived I assumed that it was a special one to mount on my living room wall. I really don't understand people buying any exhaust systems other than Todd's. I've seen and owned a lot of stainless exhaust systems over the past 54 years of riding, but nothing at all of the quality of Todd's stuff. The only ones that have come close are from Staintune, but with Todd's ones you get the added advantage of having them designed, from the ground up, for maximum street performance.

Full disclosure: I've never actually met Todd, nor am on the pay roll.

Last edited:
Dins, thanks much for the words. It’s like pulling teeth to get positive things posted here... and more so thanks for the exhaust comments. I build exhaust systems because I tired of spending money on substandard garbage that literally falls apart in a short amount of time if you actually ride it, instead of just look at it. And it shocks me that people spend blindly with companies who don’t bother showing you what it does for power any more.

Dins, thanks much for the words. It’s like pulling teeth to get positive things posted here... and more so thanks for the exhaust comments. I build exhaust systems because I tired of spending money on substandard garbage that literally falls apart in a short amount of time if you actually ride it, instead of just look at it. And it shocks me that people spend blindly with companies who don’t bother showing you what it does for power any more.
My pleasure. Your stuff is awesome!!

Got to thinking more deeply today about the fueling mods already done on the otherwise stock bike. I only have "feel" and "arse dyno" to go by unfortunately.

Firstly, I must say that above about 3,500rpm there's no discernible difference. It would appear that the upper half of the rev range was already pretty good.

For the lower half however, there's a quantum shift. I doubt that there's much (if any) more torque or power, but the delivery is entirely changed. I would guess that the torque curve begins to climb both earlier and more evenly and perhaps a little more steeply, where it would flatten out at about the same level as before. That torque carries through well up to near the red line. I'd bet too that the curve is smoother right through the revs too. Coming off idle there's no snatching of any sort. This is a big problem with the stock fueling, making slow speed stuff quite untenable. Now, as I roll the throttle on the drivechain (not literally a chain - I know) backlash takes up and because of the smooth rise in torque the bike moves forward without hesitation , jerking or snatching. In traffic, in the 1st 3 gears I can easily allow the revs to drop as low as 1,400rpm with no ill effect, and still accelerate gently away by simply feeding in a little throttle. Everything happens so smoothly. As you wind in throttle you accelerate away with no fuss of any sort. No hesitation, and no jerking. A whole new bike.

With the new exhaust system I just expect the same - only more-so! More torque, more power and probably more revs to play with too. I'll find this out in a few weeks and report back. Until then, If you haven't fixed your fueling yet you're missing out on the best part of your stock Gutz.

ps some dyno charts, eventually, would be really nice :).

DP :: Yes.

The GT map for the OEM configuration (OEM-GT) improves the startup and warm up sequence, and makes the bottom end of the power range 'meatier', for lack of a better word, and more consistent. 3000-3500 and up, the performance is about the same ... but I didn't use that range much with either OEM or OEM-GT maps because the engine was still on break-in (4500 rpm limit, self-imposed, with occasional forays up to 5000 rpm or so as the mileage stacked up).

Switching to the Agostini mufflers, the first map (AGO-GT) I received felt like it would work better with the db-killers out—upper end was improved nicely, felt slightly rich—but the engine noise would be more than I was interested in. (I like a nice exhaust note but not so much volume.) With the db-killers in, the new map (AGO-GTdb) is just right: startup is instant, warm up is brief and drivable, bottom end is nicely meatier than the OEM-GT setup with stock pipes, and (now past break-in) the little beast just scream right up to the rev limiter and loves to spin spin spin, giving beautiful, consistent, excellent throttle response everywhere. Every single person who's ridden my bike, coming off whatever carefully tuned and maintained machine they own and ride every day, has commented: "Wow, how did you get the throttle response in this bike to be so perfect?" The engine can be used consistently, reliably everywhere, from chug-chug walking pace in heavy traffic, to blitzing through the wigglies keeping it between 4500 and 6000 rpm.

Thanks again, Todd! Your work has really made Racer shine. :D

I don't really need to see charts and graphs so much when I already have such a well configured engine! :)

G

Hello Forum,

Just purchased a lightly used 2013 MG V7 Racer. This is my 2nd motorcycle and very happy to own a Moto Guzzi V7. I, too, am relatively new to the engine tuning world. Sorry to bring back a forum from the grave.

The previous owner had GT's ecu update for my motorcycle in the stock configuration. I've read all 9 pages of this forum and my questions are:

1. If I take a phased approach at upgrading my motorcycle (air filter, mufflers, maybe headers down the road), does it really require the ECU to be upgraded each and every step of the way costing hundreds of $$$ for each stepped upgrade? I've read that an ECU upgrade is required just by removing dB Killers in your mufflers - whoa!

2. Can anybody speak from experience, please? Has anybody gotten GT's ECU upgrade for their stock V7 configuration and made upgrades WITHOUT updating the ECU again? If so, what was your experience? Did it compromise rideability in any degree?

Is the ECU that rigid in adapting so something like an air filter change? For cars, changing the intake filter to a less restrictive piece (ie. K&N or AFE for instance) doesn't absolutely, or even strongly suggest, an ECU upgrade. Same goes for changing the car muffler for a straight pipe.

Warm regards forum and thanks for your patience with my naive questions! :)

Sorry to bring back a forum from the grave. I've read all 9 pages of this forum and my questions are:
Grave? You must have only skimmed the first few posts of each page based on your questions. ;)
So in addition to your email, I’ll reply here also:
1. Using scientific data, yes. The ninth post on the first page clearly states I don’t charge for every update.
2. Covered so many times in this thread, and even in several above, as well as the purchase page.

Also well covered; The ECU is not adaptive. It is a crude ECU/TB developed for, and used on scooters. The manual is available on this website. Car technology is worlds apart.

Plenty of people ignore the science and numbers provided on this site, so in the end, you can do whatever you’d like to try and prove it wrong. I’ve been focused on Guzzi F.I. for almost 20 years. I have most all of my work documented here.

All said, welcome to the Forum, and hope to meet you one day soon. Maybe on a V7 ride.

Good evening Todd,

1. you state (on post #9): "That is correct. I do not charge for additional maps or revisions for one year after purchase."

It's very likely I will be upgrading my motorcycle after the 1 year mark since the ECU update was installed April 2017 - likely my upgrades will not take place prior to April 2018. Based on that stipulation stated on post #9, I wasn't going to assume that GuzziTech would owe me a free ECU revision.

2. I deeply apologize for not searching harder on this website - I tried and had assumed (incorrectly) this forum "V7 V9 ECU Programmer Box" was large and developed enough to answer my questions.:cry:

Shame your R&D and respective findings aren't well received on this site. I personally appreciate your bona fide R&D and this world (this community, at least) is better off for it. :inlove:

Thank you for the welcome.

Based on that stipulation stated on post #9, I wasn't going to assume that GuzziTech would owe me a free ECU revision.
You will find that I am very fair to those bikes who have my products invested.
Shame your R&D and respective findings aren't well received on this site.
Well received? They are to those who choose to read and absorb it. Seems a big handful don’t. Ignorance is bliss they say. Those who have are thoroughly enjoying the results... as again and again and again, posted above and on the Customer Reviews on the purchase page.

Is the ECU that rigid in adapting so something like an air filter change? For cars, changing the intake filter to a less restrictive piece (ie. K&N or AFE for instance) doesn't absolutely, or even strongly suggest, an ECU upgrade. Same goes for changing the car muffler for a straight pipe.
The ECU on these things is little (if any) more than an electric carby. Todd's magic box will tune your electric carby to perfection. which is fortunate, coz it's the only tool out there for the end user to do this.

The ECU on these things is little (if any) more than an electric carby. Todd's magic box will tune your electric carby to perfection. which is fortunate, coz it's the only tool out there for the end user to do this.
Interesting and thank you for the education. I like learning :) Cheers

Well, what is different mainly is the cylinder heads and pistons. 90% different is a major exaggeration. I have not yet sold any V9 FTs. I have however built maps for my personal V9 shown below. I have completely stock, slip-on mufflers, and my full GT-Rx® high-flow exhaust system below. I dyno-build all of my maps with AFRs best suited for impressive throttle response and cooler running. You can expect the same thing as the Customer Reviews posted earlier in this thread and the reviews on the purchase page here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool/

RM-V97.jpg

What is the exhaust system on this bike, it looks damn fine? Might have to do that to my Anniversario.

Just ordered my ECU Programmers Box as well. All these comments about how much better than it is than stock has gotten me very concerned. I am not sure my face can take smiling more than it already is. :p

Last edited:
What is the exhaust system on this bike, it looks damn fine? Might have to do that to my Anniversario.
This is a custom system, which I can do using my header system found here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-iii-2-2-full-ss-exhaust-system/
Just ordered my ECU Programmers Box as well. All these comments about how much better than it is than stock has gotten me very concerned. I am not sure my face can take smiling more than it already is
You may get a smile headache. ;)

Just finished my 16' V7ii's reflash. It's got an Arrow exhaust with the DB killer removed and a K&N Filter.

Prior to the re-flash, I removed the Evap canister and capped/vented the lines. To make a little more room, I removed the bolt under the seat that fastens the gas tank to the frame and raised it up using a roll of masking tape to gain a couple inches of needed room between the intake and cylinders. (Unlike the 13's thru 15's, and 2017's, the 2016's evap cans are stuffed up in between there. I also disconnected the intake on the left side for the same reason. The whole removal process took maybe 25 minutes, and could have been much quicker had this not been my first time doing it.

Once that was done, I Completed the throttle position diagnostic, then uploaded the mod file. I've got my three small kids this week, so I have yet to get a good ride under my belt, but even during a quick trip around the block, I could tell the throttle rolled on more smoothly and the bike felt more... alive? Maybe that's not the best way to describe it, but considering I was grinning from ear to ear after a two minute ride, I'd say job well done!

Thanks so much to Todd for his service and support! My only regret is not adding these mods the first day I brought the bike home. Looking hard at his Stornello mid pipe now! I'll throw in a few pics just in case someone may find them helpful.

File 1 File 2 File 3 File

UPDATE!!! Starts right up, Idles smooth, no more decal pops! New map is PERFECT!!!!!

Thanks so much Todd for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me on this one, I greatly appreciate it! This had totally made my day!!!!!

:)

I'd like to do the flash (I already have my unit) but my bike has not been for first service yet, I'm still under 900 miles. Is there any harm in flashing before having the first service or should I wait until after the service to flash? Would the service department catch it and void my warranty?

Also, I'm around 600 miles, would it be okay to service it now or should it be closer to 900?

I'd like to do the flash (I already have my unit) but my bike has not been for first service yet, I'm still under 900 miles. Is there any harm in flashing before having the first service or should I wait until after the service to flash? Would the service department catch it and void my warranty?
Also, I'm around 600 miles, would it be okay to service it now or should it be closer to 900?
Very well covered in the PDF instructions. In short, wait until after your service, and always set it back to stock for dealer services as a dealer overwrite will render the FT useless without a paid reset.
Svc interval is 1000k/600mi, so the time is now.

Very well covered in the PDF instructions. In short, wait until after your service, and always set it back to stock for dealer services as a dealer overwrite will render the FT useless without a paid reset.
Svc interval is 1000k/600mi, so the time is now.

I did my ECU map upgrade before I brought the bike in for first service, so I specifically asked the manager of the service department at the dealership if I needed to reset the ECU to the factory default map for him to do the service. He said, "I can't see why. There's nothing in a service that I am going to do that's going to change the ECU programming in any way, and I'd be sure to tell you before I did anything like that anyway. If you've put different mufflers on it, it's going to run crappy if you set the map to the original ... why do that? I can't really tune a bike that's running crappy like that anyway..."

I like the guys at this dealership a lot. :)

Back